Ferrari dealerships when the 308/328 series was new | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari dealerships when the 308/328 series was new

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fairview, Apr 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those were not very accurate. I know of several instances when dealers were not dropped or added for years.

2. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #77 Rifledriver, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Most places you saw the name it was just very simple "Griswold Co." When the company sold in about 81 it changed to "Griswold Inc." then in 84 I think we moved and the name changed to Walnut Creek Ferrari because Ferrari like all the other car manufacturers wanted the entire dealer network to have geographic names. The primary reason was so that it would obfuscate site ownership. When an owner changed it would for the most part be unknown and would retain site loyalty.

We didn't put stickers on cars. It was limited to a license plate frame with the name.

3. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm glad to hear that. He must have had respect for the cars passing through rather than free banner space opportunities for his business.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was never really anything we saw in the US. Here for the most part it is felt the license frame is open season but not the rest of the car.

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #80 Mike C, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My '84 QV came new from F.A.F. Motorcars in Georgia, which later transitioned into becoming Ferrari of Atlanta. I'm the second owner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Peter likes this.
  6. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    No one ever complained about the "Luigi" stickers. They were relatively small. To the locals, a "Luigi" car meant it was most likely well cared for. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Peter likes this.
  7. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Growing up in Monterey in the 60's-70's I remember the dealership being British Motors of Monterey first and it was directly across from lake El Estero. Ferrari West was just north of British motors. I think that I recall it being Ramsey first but Ramsey alos has a location further up the street north of the lake. I think it was still on Del Monte. That's where they had the Fiats. I remember bugging George mahi as a teenager always going and looking at the cars. Later he traded a 67 fiat dino for my friends early brand new 190e that he drove from Canada. Great times and memories. I probably looked at your cars when they were new!

8. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Oh the good ol' Oklahoma oil days! Yes that's right, we had a Ferrari dealership in Norman, Oklahoma. Big Red Ferrari. As a little boy, I used to peer in the showroom. They had 308's, 328's, Testarossa' and even a new 288 GTO and F40 when they came out. Would love to have pics of that place from the 80's.

My 84' 308 GTB btw was originally sold through Pozzi Ferrari in Paris, France.

9. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Gracing my office wall is a framed. pristine, classic The Griswold Company poster of a disassembled GTO with the components listed. Steve Griswold passed these out at a (now defunct I think) NorCal Ferrari Owners Club of America monthly meeting in the 70's. I've often wondered how many of these (the posters) are still around. Great dealership advertising.

vaccarella likes this.
  10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Buying a Ferrari from a guy named Luigi is just all manner of cool on its own anyway haha

Peter and bernardo66 like this.
  11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    We'll have to see a picture of that :)

12. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert

13. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    vaccarella likes this.
  14. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wonderful. I was secretly hoping for a 288 :D

15. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Peter likes this.
  16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    bernardo66 likes this.
  17. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
  18. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

My GTSI came from Autohaus in Mass, Dino:)

Dino944 likes this.
  19. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 308 was sold at Ferrari of San Francisco. I found out the first owner was a very stylish guy who owned an Italian restaurant in that area.

I have reached out to that dealership when looking for any additional info such as a window sticker, but the service at Ferrari of San Francisco told me many old records were lost when they changed locations.

I was recently in SF (on a vacation/ no car) and very close to where that restaurant used to be. By now it is no longer in business. I enjoyed the trip and really love my carbed 308GTB. I'm lucky as I have records from new on it. Fun stuff to study on what service and parts cost in late 70s.

bernardo66 likes this.