Texas Inspection | FerrariChat

Texas Inspection

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Monsoon, Aug 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monsoon

Monsoon Rookie

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Matt
    For the required annual Texas inspection (so you can get your registration sticker) I've always taken my cars to a trusted tire shop. The cost is always around $20 for the inspection.

However, last year I took my 04 360 Spider to the Austin Ferrari dealership for the inspection. I noticed a $160 labor fee on top of the $20 fee I was used to paying.

It has me wondering, is there really any benefit to having the dealership perform the inspection over another shop?

I ask without a full understanding of what an inspection entails -- if it involves a lift of the vehicle then I see where having the dealership perform the inspection may be worth the added expense.

Any thoughts on this topic? Thanks.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    No idea. They shouldn't have charged more. But FoA doesn't do inspections that I'm aware of, another shop does it for them near by. So maybe that's their transportation fees?

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I suspect you are paying for an hours worth of a techs time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I didn't think you could charge more than the state mandated fee. I'd look into it a bit more closely. Sure as heck wouldn't take it back to FoA in the future.

I think it's now $25 since they went to the single sticker. That's how much Boardwalk Ferrari charges me.

T

5. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes Tom, you paid for a Tech's 1 hour of labor. When my car arrived from VA one of the first things I had to do was get it inspected before I could register it. I called FoA and a local renowned speed shop known for handling cavallinos. They both told me the same thing, they are not a licensed inspection location, so they have a tech drive the car to one. Hence the hour of labor. BS, I agree. And honestly, now I just take mine to the dealer of my daily driver (Audi North). I have the same tech who works on my S4 do the inspection. I drive it in the shop, they OBD it, check a few things, it passes, they sticker it. They don't drive it and it goes perfectly. And they charge the state fee only ($12, I think). Even though these are exotics, it's actually much smoother to just have the inspection done at places that handle hundreds of them a year rather than a shop that specializes in the marque as they aren't usually licensed.
    Another user here takes his to the Infiniti shop where he bought his DD. I took mine there with him one time too... went just as smoothly as it does with Audi. Honestly, since these cars aren't "old hat" to them like they are with the Ferrari dealers/specialty shops, they kinda get treated a little better by the techs at "normal car" dealers as well.

6. Monsoon

Monsoon Rookie

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Much appreciated. Exactly as you all said - it was an hour of tech's time added to the actual cost of the inspection when I went to the Ferrari dealership.

I'll be heading somewhere other than the dealership for these inspections going forward.

7. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    I have my inspections done at the same place I have my Corvette inspected. It's just lights, brakes, etc. - the simple stuff. Why pay the "Ferrari Tax?"

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Question: Did they have to set readiness codes for you?

If so, that easily requires an hour of actual time, in order to prepare the car to pass the inspection process.

Texas has now made it so that only 1 " Not Ready " is acceptable or " passable "

I personally find myself having to drive at least 1 car a day , sometimes more , in order to set the readiness codes.

Is it possible that they were / are charging you for that service?

How would you know? How long did the process take? ( Did you have to leave the car or did they perform the inspection while you waited? ) Did they have to add fuel to your car? ( Fuel must be between 1/2 tank and 3/4 tank ) Did you notice the miles in vs miles out? ( Takes 20 miles +/- if the entire route is driven ) Etc..

I'll see if I can ask behind the scenes as well to get more information.

More to follow...

S

9. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas

These are good questions but any tech that will do an inspection on a car that's not driven often should check the monitors before the inspection. That's what I do. 7.00 dollars for the safety part and 18.50 dollars for the emissions (25.50 total). It shouldn't take more that 15 mins to check the monitors and to do a state inspection.

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Agreed,

but to be clear, there is a bog difference in checking readiness codes ( Monitors ) and actually driving the car to SET readiness codes.

Ferrari has a very detailed outline as to what has to be performed , in the specific order , to set the readiness codes ( assuming everything is online and working correctly that is ) This process usually takes an hour actual time.

I'm happy to provide these instructions if anyone wants them.

S

11. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Anyone have a recommendation for a place to take my 355 for an inspection? Preferably close to the Montrose area.

12. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I recently moved to Austin and as mentioned above my car has many "not ready" faults which basically failed my inspection at a local tire shop. I'm so bummed because it looks like I may have to install my stock OEM exhaust to get her to pass. So lame. I have the IPE F1 Titanium catless setup and when the inspection shop plugs in the ECU she fails. Any ideas? Since I just moved can I register the car to a PO Box?

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Had my car inspected on Friday. So glad it's old. $7. The tech got in the passenger seat, we drove around the building to show the brakes, then he watched the lights and I honked the horn. In and out in 5 minutes.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ZERO inspection here.....antique plates are the only way to go.

goose22b likes this.
  15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yep -- but both Jim and I have personalized plates, and those require the regular inspection process.

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I used to have personalized plates on all my "toy" cars until I realized I could go antique and get rid of inspections. To me the trade off was worth it.

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Cool! Now Vega can launder money on state inspections too! It'll take longer, but every little bit helps.
    Pay for it like he does vintage cars- random amount checks off various accounts. And a large $ trade involving 3-4 countries.
    Risi doesn't pull that in HOU I'd guess. LOL.

I actually believe they CAN'T charge labor for that. It's $ flat fee, and if they sell new cars, or new to state cars, they HAVE to. LOL.
    Shame if someone turned them in to dealer enforcement. Their fines are spectacular.

Counselor Tillman, I think the labor fees above sticker fee is against the law from what I just read. Hmmmmm.

18. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Dave had a personal plate on his 400. It said "PUSHME"

:D

Hi Sfu.

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ