Vintage Voltage Regulator MM | FerrariChat

Vintage Voltage Regulator MM

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Working thru my Ellena project - the MM voltage regulator does not seem to be responding.

Looks like possible the components on the botton (Resistors) might be burnt....not sure - maybe they are capacitors?? Anyhow i need a repair source for this VR.

Attached a few pics - any advise what to do, where to go, find a new one, do a conversion.....need some thoughts and guidance pls.

Honestly it looks simple enough....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    British cars from the 50's and early 60's used very similar regulators. I would take a look at the repair manuals for a 50's Bentley R type and an early 60's 3.8 Jaguar E type. I believe both manuals have procedures in them for trouble shooting them. Years ago I found the Bentley manual on line. Old Rolls Royce and Bentley manuals tend to have very detailed manuals with a lot more info in them than most manuals. I would also take a look at some British car forums for other cars including Triumph TR4 and MGA's, these cars also have mechanical regulators and the owners sometimes write very detailed troubleshooting and repair guides.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may look at a bosch dealer, the old bosch regulators looks equal

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Those are resistors on the bottom of the voltage regulator. Tim at Select Electrics can test and repair the regulator: http://www.selectelectrics.net/home
    If it is unrepairable, then you should be able to find a good used or new replacement. The IR19B is fairly common, a vendor in Padova had NOS units in the box.
    They will cost you, but we are talking about a 1/2 million dollar car.

5. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    You can call Norbert at GT Classics in Long Beach, he may know someone who can re-build it without having to put some non original part in your Ferrari.

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the responses....i think i have enough info to resolve this