Windshield Washer Reservior | FerrariChat

Windshield Washer Reservior

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by syata, Aug 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I have my Mondial (1988) in the shop for maintenance and was told the washer fluid motor does not work and the water reservoir needs to be replaced.

Has anyone repaired the motor that connects to the reservoir or do I really need to replace then entire item?

I don't have a shop manual, but is this easy for me to replace? It sounds easy, but I have not looked into doing this myself.

Thanks.

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #3 moysiuan, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    You can get a 2001 Jeep Cherokee pump which is a direct fit. The oem pump is held on by a metal retaining ring inside the tank which is ok to remove but hard to put back on. The Jeep pump has a friction fit rubber grommet that makes installing really easy.

afterburner likes this.
  4. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Do I need to take the reservoir out or can I replace the pump while the reservoir is in the car?

So I use the rubber go met and not the metro engine in the reservoir?

Thank you.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #5 moysiuan, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    My Mondial is a 1988 with ABS, it may have a different set up for the windshield tank than the non abs. For me the thread in the 308/328 section searching on the windshield washer pump and referred to the Jeep Cherokee part was identical to what was on my car. The parts diagrams only list a pump for the Mondial t, which is not the same pump. The Mondial 3.2 parts diagram has no part for the pump, looks like you are to order the whole reservoir and pump as a unit. I am a confused, as my solution was the same as for the 328.

My reservoir is just held in by a clip arrangement, it just lifts right out, and the pump is on the bottom, disconnect the wire, hose and replace the pump. I did all this 7 or 8 years ago, so just going by memory. I didn't think much about it as it was such a simple fix.

Might be best to look at your reservoir, and get the Stekkefun used unit if it looks the same. Seems like these Mondial's may not have identical tanks/pumps. I checked the Stekkefun site, the 60710200 item looks like mine I think, except it does not have the second hole in the top. The motor orientation looks the same. Can't tell for sure if the pump is the same, I think it is.

Did any other Mondial owners replace with the 328/Jeep pump?

Sorry for confusion syata, I thought I was helping but want to make sure I am not sending you in a wrong direction.

6. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    No problem. I too have a 1988 Mondial with ABS.
    Currently the car is in for service. After I get it back I will try and replace the water pump myself.
    Thanks.

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    oops..Someone else just bought the reservoir.

I think I still have just the little motor, I'll tell you what early next week.

8. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    I was looking for it lastnight but didn't see it.. Ugh, I snooze i lose.

9. Neumann

Neumann Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jesper Neumann
    #9 Neumann, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I may have another one coming in in a couple of weeks. I would recommend to keep an eye on my site.

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  13. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Those eBay versions look legit. I need a RHD for my Euro and tempted to get one. I know it's not OEM but I have OEM which is cracked with dead motor. Anyone tried one of these yet?

14. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I have not but may... My washer pump went out. My first option will be to replace the pump. If that does not work and an OEM reservoir is not available (they are used about $200 plus Shipping) then I will try the aftermarket reservoir. I hope I don't need to drill holes into the compartment---that may be a deal breaker for me. I don't like to drill holes into my cars.

15. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    I ordered that one from eBay and got a refund 2 days later as sold out.. They may get back in stock in a few weeks and i'll check back... I won't drill holes and do some fancy zip tieing or something to hold in place. Ok with it that way then drilling holes since not OEM. Actually be neat if i can seal off the one I got and have fluid in it, while running thew power down to this non OEM that I can hide under the tool role/spare time. This way it looks original but not... Just thought it, and will try it if can get it when back in stock... Yes, i'll post pics.

Neumann likes this.
  16. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Beware, those metal push-nuts that hold the pump in place from the inside corrode and then break and they are unobtanium. So don't break the one you have. The Jeep one may work with the Ferrari pump, hard to say.

FNA says you can't order the individual pieces, you have to buy the whole ensemble.

Since I almost never drove in the rain, I just let it be.

17. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    Are there any news concerning the washer fluid bottle? Mine has cracked on several spots and is not holding fluid anymore. New ones are of course not available anymore and used ones neither. Alternatives are welcome…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Do you still have the plastic cap on yours by any chance? If so I'll buy your old cracked reservoir just for the cap (I lost mine).
    I'm also curious about replacements and/or whether anyone here has successfully replaced their Ferrari pump with the Jeep one.

19. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    Well… Sorry, no… Not for sale. I am actually thinking of a 3D print reproduction and would therefore need the original and certainly the cap.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My 1988 Mondial 3.2 CH88 version has a different washer bottle. My car was a near end of production March 1988 build date, is the bottle actually the one they used in the susbsequent 1989-onwards t version?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    BMW used same pump with a rubber grommet seal.

22. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi there,

I managed to find out that the same washer bottle reservoir was also used in the Lancia Beta. It's the exact same thing with the same numbers on it. They are also just available used but maybe easier to find. The one I found did not have a hole for the level sensor so I drilled it in and also added a new level sensor. It's a Fiat Lancia 82420018. From that you can use the top part and reuse the swim element.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

afterburner and theunissenguido like this.