September 2, 2017 Cars and Coffee PA Edition in 25ish...The End? | FerrariChat

September 2, 2017 Cars and Coffee PA Edition in 25ish...The End?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Alxlee, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    #1 Alxlee, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The end of Cars and Coffee PA Edition as we've known it for the last 10 years at least! Sad to see the end of this weekly meet that started with roughly 10 of us and grew to over 100 cars every week. You never knew if we'd see an F40 pull up for show or a Mercedes 300SL meeting up to go out for a drive with the guys. We've also grouped together to give hundreds of sick kids a ride to their prom in style, not to mention the thousands of gifts we've delivered to kids in need. Special thanks to Jon Walton and Joe Zaff for arranging these events over the years and thank you all for the close friendships (that will continue) that all started when 10 car guys got together for a cup of coffee and kept it going for 533 consecutive Saturday's (give or take a couple...or 21 cars in Joe Mac speak)!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    #2 Alxlee, Sep 4, 2017
  3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Junior.

Did the local PD actually remove you from the lot? Or were they just hanging out with the guys, suggesting you find a new spot for next week.

I think it's extremely short sighted of the folks who own that shopping center to push a ton of early AM business off the property, buy hey, what do I know?

Do you have any early shots from weeks 1 or 2 or so? I think I was there pretty early on, driving the Dino when there were less than a dozen cars in attendance.

Of all the things Florida does well, cars and coffee is certainly NOT one of them. At least not on the southern gulf coast. It is one of the things I miss the most.

D

4. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Also thinking the next C&C should include a caravan THROUGH the parking lot. Has Starbucks added a drive through yet?

That would be hysterical.

"Why no officer, we're not parked, we're in line for the drive through." :D

D

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Sad to hear this and thanks to everyone! As I've been a part of a few Frosty Balls Rally's and DuPont Hospital events... my family has met some great people, and had some great memories! In particular when the Orange P1 parked next to my Mom's G63 or when we brought our blue TDF 488 Spider or when I met the gentleman who was the original owner of a red/black big block 1967 Corvette!

If someone gets a new location please let me know!

Erik

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    #6 Alxlee, Sep 4, 2017
    Hi Pops! The local PD did not remove us...yet. They provided a ~courtesy~ warning not to come back. Additional note, the police officers there yesterday did state that going into the store itself is permitted, but standing in the parking lot is not. Yes, the Starbucks management is not happy that the police (5 police officers yesterday...for those that reside in the township this is where your tax money is being spent, 5 officers in a parking lot for 3 hours) will be there to shut down their flow of customers. And yes, we apparently account for 15-20% of their revenue so it will be a significant hit to their bottom line. According to management, we mean the difference between black or red on a weekly basis. That said, they had decided not to renew their lease and will be moving in January to a new location across 202 anyway so the reduction in revenue will hopefully be short term. Their new location will indeed have a drive thru, but a significantly smaller parking lot.

Anyways...trying to stay positive here...C&C will continue in the area! There are a couple new locations and events, so no fears car fans, we will be back!

A few pics I have labeled as May 2007...I'll have to look for some more, but I have way too many pictures scattered across way too many drives and of course since Google stopped supporting the Picasa albums, I lost all those albums.

dlbutler likes this.
  7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well, aren't there a couple car dealers across the street with big ol' parking lots? I'd think they might be willing to host the C&C guys adjacent to the local starbucks. Put 100 car crazy guys in your lot any given saturday?

Either way, it's a bummer.

Hey, what if you're IN your car drinking the coffee?

Everyone rolls down their windows, chats up a storm cross window style?

Just thinking of ways to annoy the man, I gotta get a life. :D

D

8. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    There are, but they're usually full of inventory so no where to squeeze another 100 cars in. Besides, no coffee shop!

Interesting, I just realized that the cigar shop used to be next to Starbucks! I guess they relocated to a different space to allow the salad place to move in.

To be fair, it's not really the man to blame for this, they are just doing their jobs...it's more the complaints from the wine shop and the two or three adjacent businesses. The wine shop owner seems to think that they will increase their revenue by not having us there. So if you really want to annoy them, organize an effective boycott of that business. This would lead to a vacancy in one of the anchor spaces for the shopping center owner. Realistically, this won't happen, but probably one of the only ways to really annoy them.

9. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    As we reflect on the past 10 years, a heartfelt thanks goes to our talented "photographers of record" (Alex and Bob) for the pleasure they provided week after week with their excellent photographic skills. Thanks, guys.

10. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks Alex (and Bob) for your photo documentation over the years. As I've mentioned before, I do live local (3 miles) and while I will continue to go to that Starbucks, I won't give my business to any of the other stores in that center. Basically, the liquor store, and the Giant, are the other two I've used.

And while I'm a big supported of the police, I agree, 5 officers in there for 3 hours, ridiculous.

11. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Having frequented CC in WC in it early days. Getting to know John, Alex, Bob, Zaff and the bunch it was a great era. Sad to sad to say it has ended, sad to say I had not had a chance to frequent as much over the last few years.

David

12. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Yes, the photo documentation has been superb!
    I thought I would add a plug for the one-off C&C tomorrow at Radnor since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it on this thread. It's sponsored by Joe Zaff's firm. We can enjoy the cars and weather and be damn glad we don't live in Houston or Florida.

13. EvoM3

EvoM3 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007
    Oh well, was good while it lasted.
    INCREDIBLE that it was derailed by being too busy for a retail location.
    I would have thought "RJ, et al." would encourage moving over to the Kennett Starbucks to give the vacant grocery store lot some life.

14. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...just a thought...behind the St Davids hotel there is a huge parking lot for the corporate center there with a coffee shop in the strip mall next to it...that would be a great location..., stuart

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Last time I checked, those particular corporate guys were pretty cranky about folks using their lot, they have 24 hour security in the building, and they shooed me away more than once when I was trying to teach my kids to drive there. But, I know the owner of the hotel, can give him or the manager a buzz to see if they know anyone there. I can tell you, the hotel would NOT welcome a ton of cars in their already undersized lot.

D

16. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

alex, a nice note and thanks for the photo memories over all the years. All of the very best things come to an end because human nature cant resist screwing SH#$ up on a cyclical basis. To new journeys...

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Disappointing. I never attended much as you guys are two hours away from me. But the people I met there are great. A different atmosphere than any other C&C I have attended. The organized and impromptu drives alike were fantastic! It is sad that people hate to see other people enjoying themselves and have to muck it up...

18. PASquared

PASquared Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Philadelphia
    So, considering that there were dozens of cars there on 9/9, is it now just an unofficial C&C?

19. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009

Sad to see it go, but it got too big for the lot. We do have lots of good memoties and photos though. :)

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I Would guess if it stays a dozen cars, no one will know or care. It got too big, and a couple tenants bitched to the landlord, and viola!! Cops, signs, warnings, etc.

D

21. NissanGuy23

NissanGuy23 Karting

Jan 14, 2011
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew McQuaide
    Has a new location for West Chester C&C been officially chosen? Or still trying to work out the details?

Just wondering if there is anywhere to go this Saturday 9/16..

22. SM Photography

SM Photography Karting

Oct 20, 2014
    Full Name:
    Spencer M.
    Yep, new address is 4801 W Chester Pike (rte 3)

NissanGuy23 likes this.
  23. PASquared

PASquared Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Philadelphia
    How did the first meet at the new location turn out?

24. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Decent turnout for the first time and location. I'd say about 25-30 cars.

25. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    Google Maps shows this address at the intersection of PA-3 and PA-926. The town indicated is Newtown Square. Is this correct?