Houston.. Wonder how many F-cars are flooded? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Houston.. Wonder how many F-cars are flooded?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ICULUKN, Aug 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    I thought the original question was an honest and harmless one. I also think an estimate of 100 is way high. I'd guess not more than 4 or 5 - people who were away and couldn't reach anyone to move the car in time, perhaps a forgotten car, cars at a service facility etc.

Ferraris notwithstanding, the real harm on the materiality front will come when the scalawags and carpetbaggers emerge as they inevitably do.

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Fair enough, I stand corrected, maybe I'm a bit too sensitive.. apologies OP

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    "You should be more worried about the Ferrari owners and their families."
    You did imply insensitivity on the part of OP, above sentence is very clear to anyone so don't get your panties twisted and hide from it, princess.
    Where did I try to "forbid" you from being in this thread?
    By asking why you were here if you didn't like it?
    Honest question but apparently touched your nerve so I apologize.....

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a damn car forum. Of course the question of the favorite car will show up at some point. Damn..yes it's devisating to all involved, and the biggest loss is human life, second is material possessions. Houses, memories collected in photos and family related items, special teddy bears for the kids (and parents), grandpas ww11 uniform etc..all of that "stuff" is important to people, including dream cars, which are now gone..

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Naieve question. What does washing title mean?

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Means changing it from salvage/rebuilt to clean.

The amount of destruction done in Houston and the surrounding areas is saddening. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to go through that. The videos of boats going through neighborhood streets lined with mansions with water up to the second floor is surreal. My cousin recently moved to Houston when she got married and was back in Chicago this week for her birthday...she still isn't sure if she lost everything. :(

I'm sure a decent number of Ferraris and other exotics were lost. Houston has many wealthy people and I don't think many expected it to get to this level of flooding and not many evacuated.

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #32 msdesignltd, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep , the rich just hydro right outa town in their ferrari’s
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

It goes without saying the loss of lively hood and primary resident is monumental . The number of cars that will not be destroyed and returned the market is concerning because potential safety issues it could cause.

My sister unknowingly bought flood car and driving on parkway airbags deployed resulting in her crashing and cause serious injury to her and her son.

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    More like insensitive. People are losing their lives and homes, right now Ferrari's don't matter

10. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I live in Houston and was concerned about my Ferrari and 2 Porsches. I had a plan in place to move them to a public parking garage about a 1/4 mile from my house. Fortunately for me I didn't get any high water so I didn't need to move the cars. I did go by the garage to make sure it was open and noticed that a lot of people had moved their cars to the garage.

I have a friend that lives a few miles away that lost everything and was really concerned he and his wife were going to lose their lives. They were finally rescued but had to walk and swim out of their house in water that was up to his wife's neck. They are staying with us as long as it takes for them to get back on their feet.

I was not offended at all by the question. I thought of the same thing. It would have been irresponsible of me not to think of a way to save as much of my property as I could.

11. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I'm shocked at the number of wienies in these thread. Grow a pair!

He's asking about the cars - no one said there is not concern for those affected. They're not mutually exclusive. A question can be asked about damaged exotics without also implying a lack of empathy for victims. Oy vey...

12. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    The original posters question was very legitimate and fair... He never stated he didn't care about the people.. He just asked about the Ferraris... And besides, this is a Ferrari forum so It is a relevant topic.. Anyone trying to be PC should back off and give us break !! There are other forums for this..

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  14. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005

I'm sorry about your sister's accident and I hope she and her son have recovered. This is a valid concern. I notified fellow Fchatters when I saw my California 30 advertised for sale with "minor water damage". The car was under 4 feet of salt water. They also stated car was in running condition but was missing keys. I provided both keys to salvage company. There was an electrical fire under the dash so I imagine the seller just tossed the keys and blamed that for the inability to start it.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How do I do that

16. drodz

drodz Rookie

Apr 14, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #42 drodz, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    my count is about 4.............so far

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    So a Ford GT, Speciale, and 488 done for. What in the world is up on those lifts over them then...maybe something like a Carrera GT or F40? Hopefully not empty.

19. drodz

drodz Rookie

Apr 14, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I thought the same thing. If those arw the ones they "let" drown... what is on the lifts? A LaFerrari and McLaren P1??

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's what I have- a 348 was added yesterday; garage was 6' above street level and there was 5' of water in the garage (total depth = 11'). Even a lift would have probably NOT saved that car.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Those big zip lock bag things you can drive your car into and close up for floods are looking like a great idea now for flood zones...

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    They are fine . It demonstrates some of the potential hazards. Exotics are less of issue then everyday cars .

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Only issue is once the motor stops working when it is underwater, the air stops entering the bubble and the whole thing collapses.

I'm pretty sure the bubble would not be completely waterproof if submerged in any case.

24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It appears Drivers Source and FoH both got spared, so that's two concentrated groups of Ferrari's and other classic/exotics that weren't damaged.