Valentino Rossi | FerrariChat

Valentino Rossi

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by classic308, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
  2. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    Very unfortunate. With a great shot at the title and his age, who knows where this will take him and his career.

3. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    #3 twist-a-grip, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Daaaamn!! I bet he doesn't even care. If you watched his interview on Sunday after leading the whole race only to take 3rd, you can tell he's completely at peace/satisfied/proud of his life/career. I hope he has a quick recovery.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Last time was 41 days out which still gives him four rounds left in this year's championship amazingly from Japan to Valencia having only missed two rounds

Unless someone really takes hold of the championship there could still be scope for improving his placing !

5. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Forza 46 get well soon!

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Rossi's second injury this year doing motocross.

Because, why the hell not?

Don't these guys have clauses in their contracts which stipulates that they don't
    take part in risky sports when not racing?

BHW

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Rossi has always used dirt bikes or dirt track as a training method. It is not possible to have endless time on an M1, so it has to be a YZF450.

Interestingly his teammate, Maverick Vinales, does not like to train with dirt bikes. He said to be fast on a dirt bike you have to be aggressive on the throttle, but that habit works against you in modern MotoGP over race distance.

Rossi never seems to be a guy that burns up his tires prematurely, so who knows.

Either way, stinks for Rossi and his emphasis has to be on 2019. Getting healthy for the end of season tests at Valencia. Maybe he tries some 2019 parts early during the remaining races. It would be too risky if he was in the thick of the championship, but perhaps if he thought he could get an advantage for next year he could become the world's fastest development rider.

9. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Here's the thing, if Yamaha said "here's a ton of money but you can't use any extreme sports for training during season" then Honda/whoever would say "Ride for us. We don't have that rule."

Unless the governing entity makes it a rule, there's no way to keep riders from doing what they want.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That sucks to hear. I vaguely recall watching an interview with him and his love for motocross, but said how dangerous it was and that he probably shouldn't do it. :/

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    hahaha, i get it, joke, right?

12. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

That accident could be a watershed in Rossi's career.

He won't probably come back this year to finish the GP season.

Also, there must be doubts at Yamaha if he will still be a contender for the title in future.

A lot of bike racers retire because of injury.

13. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    What a shame. The Championship battle is incredible this year, with 5 horses in the race. Sadly, Rossi's injury will make it a 4 horse race.

I would so love to see him win 1 more WC before he hangs it up..........

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    didn't one of the MotoGP guys have a clause in his contract that he couldn't ride motorcycles on the street due to the risk? this was 10 years or so ago I remember hearing that. maybe urban legend.

15. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    And most of this is what is wrong with racing.
    I DO understand the business side of it - you are hired to represent a company or a product, and if you are
    'famous enough', you can be the face of that product (think of any car insurance commercial, cell phone commercial),
    you lose that person and there is a 'disconnect'.
    I just wish a driver could still to the 'have helmet will travel' thing, I think the sport has lost a lot when that ended, but I
    do understand why it is that way. Bobby Allison was hurt in a short track race, and he had a protege' Mike Alexander
    that took his place and was fast, and then Alexander was hurt in a similar short track race and that ended his career.

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It depends.

Joey Logano didn't have exclusions that effected him on this when he was at JGR, but Penske looked at his activities and cut certain things out.

Same driver, different team, different contract, different stipulations.

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It seems that VR is going to miss only one race, incredible! Too bad for my fellow Dutchman Van der Mark, who was poised to replace Rossi at Aragon.

18. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yep, looks like he's going to try and race this weekend. Incredible!

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    3rd on the grid 3 weeks after badly braking his leg at his age!

Caracciola likes this.
  20. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Rossi continues to add to his legacy as the GOAT, unbelievable!

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I hope he never stops racing and at this rate he won't. :)

22. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

That put a few riders to shame!

23. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I hope he doesn't risk reinjury. The man is an absolute racing superhero.

Caracciola likes this.
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Not the result I wanted. :(

I still can't get over how ugly the fairings are on Lorezno's Ducati. It looks much better without them like on Dovizoso's bike.

25. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Brave run by Rossi. To even start the race was incredible, and to qualify and finish as high as he did shows why he is the GOAT.

It was very interesting to see how the race would play out with all of the different tire choices made on the grid. I don't ever recall a rider using hards on the front like the Hondas did - unusual choice, and both riders did say they were having front end issues in right handers, yet they finished 1 and 2!

It's always a great season when there are a few teams that have legitimate shots at a win at every race.

Jana likes this.