Any metalcrafters here? | FerrariChat

Any metalcrafters here?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by HotShoe, Sep 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I've been using the wheel a lot lately and love it more each day. I really wish I would have started sooner in life. I don't know id it's my art and design background but I really appreciate the entire process. I just hope it doesn't give me arthritis because my hands are killing me! ;)

I'm sure there has to be some real master metal men here. Anyone want to step forward and share? Where/how did you learn? Any tips? How are you welding your panels? Favorite tools and or techniques? Funny anecdotes?

I'm just scratching the surface of something that takes a lifetime to master so I need all the help I can get.

2. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    Its the guys that make hot rods and restore really old cars that need the skills to shape like you are learning. I have a neighbor who works for a nice shop/museum in South Scottsdale that restore 50's custom coachbuild italian cars, lik zagato, touring. What he does is amazing, he can make any part for a car. Many times you need a helping hands to work larger pieces. But panels are made of many sections tig'd or mig'd together. Aluminum is easier, more difficult to weld, steel is more difficult to shape, easier to weld. I also remember a school, and a magazine article where they demonstrated all the basic techniques, Ill look for the source. But street rodder always has something.

You must learn to be in Zen with the metal! Takes lots of practice! form a little, check, form a little, check..... over and over again! I could never do it!

3. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    There is a master in Michigan whose work is amazing. The top restoration shops either do it themselves, or work with experts that have mastered the skills.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I got into it years ago as a fun hobby. It's something that always intrigued me and I always thought it would be cool to learn and somehow incorporate into my art. Shaping clay just isn't the as satisfying as shaping metal.

Who are you speaking of in MI Jim? When I started out I took lessons from Ron Fournier.

5. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Mike Kleeves
    Automobile Metal Shaping Co.
    60 Airport Drive
    Kimball, MI 48074
    810-364-4244

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I started a thread my first year here. It was something like "Where are the coachbuilders?"

I was directed to a magazine called Automobile Aficionado, which is good.

A search for that thread will reveal several people.

Good luck. Make 'em pretty.

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    In one of his prgrammes, Skip Foose sent a number of youngsters to a school to learn the beginnings of this art. Not only the wheel, also the different hammers etc. Maybe that's a good place to start.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The end piece is usually written by Ron Covell, who has a series of excellent (and inspirational) videos. One is specifically how to use an English wheel. They are available at www.covell.biz.

There are older videos by John Glover that are very methodical, and might feel slow, but will definitely teach you to properly use the wheel.

Also take a look at silversmithing and doing work in copper. Raising a cup is a great challenge.

If you haven't seen it before check out www.metalmeet.com/forum/index.php

Matt

9. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    Ron Covell also puts on metal crafting workshops around the country that are well received. Hands on where you get to do the things he shows you.
    The locations and dates are posted on his website.

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #10 HotShoe, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was more so curious if there were any fellow Fchat members here who were also in the hobby to chat with.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Thankfully I already have amassed a great deal of info from Covell and the others. I actually met Mr. Glover when I was up in MI. I was fortunate enough to get a lesson from him while I was there. That man is truly gifted.

I've spent this whole morning shaping a new piece. My hands are already sore!

Below is something I did for this past Cavallino. It's 1/4 scale but my next one is going to be 1/2 scale.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I read that article and it was very good. Good to read your story.....can't wait for the next vision.

12. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    #12 stratos, Sep 24, 2009
  13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hey, Anthony! You were holding out on us.
    Your work is awesome.

Is that aluminum? The only welding I've done on aluminum is with an Oxy-Acetelyne torch. Ron Covell showed me how at one of his seminars, and I've been practicing, but not being able to see a color change is awfully hard. Watching the flux helps. Do you have any pointers?

The fact that you love the wheel more every day means you're getting better and better each day. I take a step forward, then three steps back and get frustrated. My wheel has been tucked away all summer.

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #14 SonomaRik, Sep 24, 2009
  15. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Anthony, that looks fantastic. Can you tell me anything about the wooden buck? Did you make it? If so, where did you start for dimensions, etc. Thanks for any and all feedback, in advance.

Best,
    Dave

16. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    Try Vic Yordy at "The Metal Works" in Dewart, PA

He did my Dino and just completed what was my Talbot-Lago. He does beautiful work. www.TheMetalworks.net Pics are in his gallery (the body for the Maser A6GCS was also mine).

SRA

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #17 HotShoe, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks for the encouragement and contributions. Those Ferrari pieces are beautiful. I'd like to be able to spend more time making full scale pieces like those some day. I too really love the unfinished bodies that show the process, hammer marks, etc. That's kind of what I tried to capture in my work. I'm glad you liked the Cavallino article Sonomarik. I was pretty stoked to be in there. Hopefully it will help me get into AFAS one day soon.

Thanks Smiles. The learning curve for welding the AL was a little steep but one day everything just clicked. I think the key is good two stage regulators that will allow no fluctuation in pressure. When you are using such low line pressures the slightest variation throws off your flame. I am also using a Cobra torch that works very, very well for me (http://www.fournierenterprises.com/W3000.html). I think the real trick is getting the flame set perfectly. Ron Fournier has a great video for gas welding AL here http://www.fournierenterprises.com/cart/product.php?productid=16142&cat=7&page=1.

Readplays, I made the buck myself from scratch out of oak. It is nearly impossible to track down actual prints for most of the older cars so I had to research and use several different materials, spec, drawings, etc. I'm very familiar with 3d software so I use it extensively to help the process.

18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Anthony -
    check out this site: http://www.davepropst.com/
    quite technical, but beautifully written......good info on wheel sizing for different needs.
    He's pretty good about testing for results, not just passing on the standard hearsay about what works or doesn't.....

Tritone

(looking forward to you next creation......)

19. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Hi All,

I'm desperately looking for Michael Kleeves - Automobile Metal Shaping - Kleeves Company 's email address.

Any help ?

Thx.

20. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    I know YouTube...!