DIY door cable fix | FerrariChat

DIY door cable fix

Discussion in '360/430' started by dwil, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    #1 dwil, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Being a new 360 owner as of about a month ago, I assumed there would be some
    issues with one in my mid 50k budget. So the first problem noticed was the passenger
    door exterior handle was hard to pull. Within the first 10 times the door was opened
    it failed, the cable connector slipped out of the plastic clip on the inside of the door
    handle. The cable seemed to be binding in the housing. I tried forcing cable lube
    under pressure through the cable housing but even after several days there wasn't
    any sign of lube coming out of the other end. I thought there must have been
    some ingress of lube so i put everything back and it worked better but started binding
    and the cable became detached again. So a cable replacement was in order.
    I understand, and someone please correct me if i am wrong, that the cable itself
    is no longer available, and that you have to order the latch assembly. Anyway here
    is my method of repair that cost all of $12 which would also cover the both doors.

First a set of bicycle cables which includes 2 brake cables, 5mm housing and a
    shifter cable was obtained. If you have a bike shop close, that might be a good
    place to purchase this. The 5mm housing seems to be exactly the size of the
    original plus it has a slicker plastic liner. Also the cable itself is stainless.
    Notice how corroded the original cable is in the last picture.
    The only hard part of this is making the cable end connectors, which I made from
    some 3/16" brass rod stock, this could also be found as a brass screw from the
    hardware store (in a larger size say 1/4") it has to be turned down to about
    .16" easily done by chucking in a drill running with a file across it. Just so that
    the result fits into the connector on the latch and handle (mine were slightly
    different size) Then the rod can then be cut into 4 short lengths about 3/8"
    or slightly longer. Use the drill "lathe" with a hacksaw blade.
    These are silver soldered(refrigeration solder) into 2 "L" shapes then a 1/16" hole
    drilled into the L as shown. I used a chainsaw file to shape a saddle so the parts
    would fit nicely with minimal solder.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    #2 dwil, Aug 27, 2017
    Be sure and measure the cable and housing close, as mine was slightly short and had to
    to bend a bit of an s into the bracket that holds the housing close to the handle. The
    bicycle cable kit comes with the ferrules to cover the housing ends. I used one of
    the shifter cable caps as a stop by drilling it though with the 1/16 bit, crimped it on
    (make sure connector to connector length is good) the bent some cable wire back
    over then slid a brass sleeve (insert that goes in compression plastic plumbing,
    copper tubing would also work) then crimped that. This end is on the handle end as there
    is more room. Of course make sure you install the hardware off of the original cable
    before you crimp anything.
    One thing that i didn't show is the latch end, I used the end that is barrel
    shaped as it is shorter than the mushroom shaped end in the picture. There
    is a lack of space for much hanging out of the connector at the latch end.
    The passenger door handle operation is now super smooth!

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Great info and beautiful car!

4. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Wow! Great looking car (Mine's also a giallo)!

This write up is really good. The door problem on these cars is one of those unsolved mysteries that needed a solution.
    I hope this will do it!

5. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    #5 dwil, Aug 27, 2017
    Thanks!
    Yellow wasn't my first pick, but it is growing on me. Gotta do something about the
    wheels though (too much chrome) maybe satin black in the centers?

6. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Great DIY write-up thanks. Overpainting those wheels with OEM silver or black could be an option too? I agree that chrome doesn't do justice to this car.

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I think this should be an laced in the diy sticky section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. RolexWatchDealer

BANNED

Aug 7, 2017
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    AT
    nice thanks this will save some money down the road.

9. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    This is great! I know I'm not the only on thinking it, so I'll put it out there....

How much can I pay you to build me two of these? :)