Let's talk Audi R8 coupe 2007 to 2015 | FerrariChat

Let's talk Audi R8 coupe 2007 to 2015

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Robb, Aug 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Who here owns one and compare it to other F-car ownership?

Any issues on reliability or maint to be aware of?

Wondering about the manual gearbox vs R-tronic and S-tronic for road trips and also track time.

I like the 2014+

But Wondering about why the cars got heavier in 2014...

How is the v8 vs v10 with the S-tronic (used in manual mode)? V8 is lighter and wondering how it is on track vs the v10. Better handling?

I like the mid engine layout and room inside the cabin. More room than a 360 or 430 right? Going to see several this week.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks.

Robb

2. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have a 2010 V10 with Gated Shifter with 26,000 miles. The car has been excellent. When I first got it my wife asked how I liked it. I told her it seems like the child of my F 430 and her DB 9. I still feel that way. Performance and comfort.

Joe

3. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Joe.

Great analogy. More room inside than the 430?

Thanks.

Robb

4. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    More room and more comfort.

Joe

5. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Don't bother with the V8, too slow. I put over 40,000 miles on my V10 and it was fantastic. Even drove it through a brutal New England winter with winter tires. Only problem was that the magnetic ride shocks leak and are expensive to replace. You can read all about it on the R8 forums. I changed my shocks to the GT style (non magnetic) and it was fine. I plan on getting another one eventually. One of the best cars I've ever owned.

6. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    I was really surprised with my gated v10. Was better than my gallardo but not good like the scud. It would be similar to 430 I guess, with more room and less sound.

Envision likes this.
  7. dt34

dt34 Rookie

Aug 20, 2013
    Michigan
    I have a 2015, opted for the V8 cause its my daily and its plenty fast for driving to work and what not. If you are looking for smiles per mile go with the V10. I'm now thinking of getting a gen 2 V10plus for a weekend car/track car. Hated my RS5 love my R8.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I appreciate the comments. Looks like a nice car. Wish it did not have as many TT interior parts carried over.

I am curious why the facelift 2014+ cars gained weight. Anyone know? It shows this gain for both manual and S-tronic and both v8 and v10. It is 160 pounds heavier. That is a lot weight added.

Robb

9. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    They had to re-engineer the back to accommodate the Dual clutch. I'm guessing that's where the weight gain is. That's the only change I know of in the 2014 model.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Ok. Good to know. The facelift had changed to headlights and tail lights and some interior finishes. Brake rotors changed to curvy discs. That's all I have found.

Looking at a few Saturday.

Robb

11. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    keep us updated!

12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #12 Robb, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stopped by Marshall Goldman to see a number of R8's in the flesh.

I liked the cars' fit and finish and the interior comfort. Seemed a little wider inside than a 430 and maybe a tiny bit more headroom but similar legroom.

I looked at a v8 facelift and a v10 early car - both white.

I did not drive the cars but enjoyed getting my feet wet. I liked the salesman at the dealer - John Ashe. He has 4 personal F-cars so is a knowledgeable guy to meet.

My gut tells me that if you are getting a stick in a v10 or v8 then any year would be good.

I like the carbon on the cars...

The paddles on the s-tronic are pretty small (like on the TT) and are not close to what you may be used to on a Ferrari F1 paddle. The paddles on the facelift cars are taller by about an inch or two and don't appear to be an ideal length for different hand positions on the wheel either.

They are mounted to the wheel and not fixed on the column. The cars do have cruise control with standard Audi switchgear.

I think an R8 would be a good add to the garage at some point. Many have said it is the "best car they have ever owned." Would seem to be low maintenance, reliable, fast, and comfortable. Not as involving or as loud as an F-car but still a looker and drive that wears many hats.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the input.

Robb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I was able to drive a 2018 R8+ coupe a few weeks ago; the 610hp engine's great, and the car's definitely comfortable. I found the steering to be quite detached, even more so than my '18 RS3. It was fun, would be very easy to live with, but for a sports car I'd lean more to the 570S family if I had the budget. disclaimer: my current sports-car exposure is limited to an Aventador SV, 570S, Evoras, the R8+, and a bunch of older Fcar's/etc.

I do like where Winkelmann seems to be taking the Audi Sport products. and it can't be long before the R8/Huracan grow turbos.

14. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    I've road tested the buddy's 2010 V10 right after the new Toyo tires installed. It's a beast and definitely one of my favorite.

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thought I read somewhere that in the v8s if the a/c compressor fails it requires an engine removal to replace it...

16. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Yep. And that's quite a project.

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Unbelievable-I assume that is yet another reason to buy the 10 cyl...

18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    yep; I worry about that *all* the time......as I'm carving the canyons, admiring my reflection in the windows downtown, thinking of any excuse just to go drive.....sometimes I don't even turn the a/c on.....

on a related issue: my 550 requires a timing belt change every few years (2 of 'em at that!).......and you think I'm worried about an a/c compressor on my R8?

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've not owned one but I've driven the V8 manual trans version. Very fun car!

Only issue that annoys me is carbon build up due to direct injection. Not the end of the world but still something I would rather not have to deal with.

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So replacing the ac compressor for the v8 every 3 or so years is just like F355 maint... :D

Engine out.

Robb

21. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    More reason to get the V 10!

Joe

22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, but at least with an f-car you know what you are getting into; removing the engine to change an a/c compressor is ridiculous IMHO But one has to take the good with the bad...

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree.

24. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I had a Chevy Monza V 8 and you had to lift the Engine to change the left rear Spark Plug. GM compensated the Dealers.

Joe

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    excellent-and back then they were changed more frequently...