Trunk Switch | FerrariChat

Trunk Switch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TGIF, Aug 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    I thought my trunk (bad lid) switch was on the fritz as it would work some of the time but not all. After driving around my Mondial this last week (and to work today) I realized it works when the car is in On and running. However with the car off doesn't work.

My Engine and Frunk (boot?) switch work which leaves me to use the pull cable when the car is off/not running. Is this legit or do I have some funky wiring..

Thanks in Advance,
    TGIF

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    It should work even if the engine is stopt. I think fuse 2 on the left side is going over those switches. Inside the fusebox connection goes directly from fuse to K4 wire. From there it goes to the switches.

Guido

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #3 PV Dirk, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    On my 87 3.2 the engine and front work with no key but rear trunk requires ignition to be on. I just looked at owners manual and all indications are that it should work without key. There is a specific note that glove box requires key and rear trunk has no such special note. However it would not be unheard of to have interesting changes like this made. Maybe others can check too.

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My front trunk and engine lid open without the key in, but the rear trunk only opens when the ignition is in the on position. Makes sense for security in a cab, same reason why the glove box only opens with the key in. I am pretty sure this is the intended stock configuration.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    My '88 3.2 Cab works the same.

It provides security so that the trunk/glovebox cannot be opened unless the ignition is on.

Of course, someone could just pull the release cable and open the trunk, but the location of the trunk release is not something your average thief would know.
    Alden

6. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks everyone. I feel a bit foolish for asking but "Duh" that sounds right for a Cab/Convertible due to security. However the cable pull is easier for someone to do. Odd, but good to know it's wired and original.
    Thanks!

7. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thanks, everyone, for this thread... I've only had my car for a few months. When it rolled off the transporter, I thought I remembered that all the electrics (except for the power door mirrors) worked, but then, later, when I was going over the car - inch by inch - at home, the boot/trunk and fuel filler door didn't. I thought I would have to start hunting down electrical gremlins - until I read this thread. Everything works with the key in and/or ignition on. Except for the power mirrors - they're still dead as a doornail...

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    RE: Your power mirrors: Get a new switch on Ebay, it is a BMW switch and can be bought for $25-75.

That is how I fixed mine.

There is a thread on here about the repair, maybe in the DIY section.
    Alden

9. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Alden: SRSLY?!?!? That's awesome! Thanks for the advice - I'm going to start hunting for that switch tonight! I don't NEED it to work (the mirrors are set to where I need them), but it bothers me that it doesn't (does that make sense...?) Thanks again! Dave

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Here is a brand new one for $55:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-DUAL-MIRROR-SWITCH-FOR-E12-E21-E23-E24-E28-M5-/331967548237?hash=item4d4acecb4d:g:w6wAAOSwknJX1fYF&vxp=mtr

Ferrari price for the exact same switch used to be $250, not sure what they are now.
    Alden

11. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    You buy the plane ticket and I will be there, lol!

It really is very simple, the switch simply pops out, back first IIRC, then plug the new one in and re-install. A drop of Dexoit on the plug contacts helps ensure continued smooth operation. I never believed in snake oil, but Dexoit is the real deal.
    Alden

13. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well, I may not need your "house call" after all.. I ran into two other Mondial owners at last Saturday's "Exotics at Redmond Town Center" (Cars and Coffee for the Seattle area), and was able to get lots of hands-on advice for the process. I already have the Deoxit. Thanks again for the info and advice!

14. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Got the part, took a deep breath, and "dug in." Figured out the old switch wasn't working because whoever had last 'tinkered' with it, hadn't reconnected it to the wiring harness before 'buttoning up' the door! Since I had the door apart (following the info in the videos), and since the old switch was out, I just installed the new one (I figured 'better safe than sorry' and it was a direct, 'like-for-like', identical part exchange)... Mirrors are 'grinding away' to my heart's content now...

Thanks to all for the thread, and for the advice and encouragement.

Dave