612 - slow shift from 3rd to 4th | FerrariChat

612 - slow shift from 3rd to 4th

Discussion in '612/599' started by Schestc2, Jul 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Hi,

since last week I experience a sort of unique issue with my Scal. When hot, the shift from 3rd to 4th is much slower than any other gear shift, both upwards and downwards. But - and thats the weird thing - only when the engine and gearbox ist hot. When cold, everything is normal, both in normal and Auto mode.

Anybody experienced a similar problem? I think it might be some hydraulic issue, but that is just a guess, will bring the car anyway to my dealer but thought it might be helpfull to check in this knowladgeble forum.

Best, Stefan

2. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
  3. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Interestingly, I have just developed a somewhat similar issue. My 4th gear is occasionally blinking on the dash and the car goes into neutral when I am trying to downshift into 3rd (both in manual and automatic modes). It also only happens when the car is hot (i.e. after at least 20 miles of driving). There are no error messages on the screen and there are no OBD3 codes. The clutch is 68% used.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It sounds like it could be an actuator/sensor problem. Someone that is well versed in F1 transmissions should diagnose the problem. I usually record all of the shift sensor position parameters for each gear and draw the gear grid both cold and hot. It there is a difference between the cold and hot gear grids then the cause is usually a worn shift actuator.

How many miles are on the car?

5. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    my car has 54 Tsd km on the clock, and yes, it also started with 4th gear blinking on the gear indicator. Thoght it was a sensor problem though.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F1 fluid should be changed and the system bled at least every 3 years. If this has not been done recently, time for a change and the tech can run an SD3 diagnosis and optimize PIS at the same time. Could be a potentiometer, air in the system, loose bleed screw, etc and nearly impossible to diagnose on the internet.

612 F1 systems are a pain to reach for service, unfortunately.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Thanks Taz, will follow your advice.

8. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Thanks for all the advice. My car has 31K miles on it. Full major service (including F1 fluid) done in February 2017 with 28K miles at the time. The car spent a week with a qualified mechanic. SD3 does not show any errors. No difference between cold and hot gear grids. Schestc2, let us know if you have better luck finding the culprit.

9. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Yes, vice versa. I am currently in Canada on vacation, will bring my car to Ferrari in August and then report back.

Allthough frequently expensive I somewhat appreciate my car for the gremlins it has as - similar to my italian wife - it shows me that the world is not perfect :), which is so so different from my 5-series Beamer....

Best from Jasper,
    Stefan

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hmmmm never owned a Beamer but from those who I have known who did, did not think they were anywhere near perfect.

11. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    The new ones are I think, my 5er is 5 years old, has 100.000 km on the clock and had never any issues.
    My Scal however is 13 years old, with 54.000 km and although serviced every year there was never a year that something did not happen, allthough sometimes just the stupid engine control failure mesage after every winter....

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Actuator is starting to fail.

13. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    dont think so for two reasons:

1. Why only 4th gear?
    2. Why only when hot?

In particular No.1 plays against the actuator. Will soon find out....
    Best Stefan

14. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I had the same issue with my 599 - with the engine hot it fell into neutral when upshifting from 3rd to 4th gear. This was cured by my dealer - something like "optimising parameters" - do not remember the exact name of the procedure. Never happened again though.

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Any updates ?

16. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Not yet, car goes to Ferrari Aug. 28th, will report back once I know more. Stefan

17. LotusS4

LotusS4 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi,
    Im curious what this problem was and would be helpful if the dealer could give you any insight to the procedure? My 612 has the same problem once in a while, usually when engine is hot. No Codes. Let is cool off and it may drive perfect for another couple hundred miles.... Then out of nowhere it just starts happening :-(

I thought it may be some sort of 4th gear solenoid? every other gear is perfect. If I am shifting and the problem starts happening, i shift from 3rd to 4th, it pops into neutral, hit up paddle again and it goes into 5th, same happens in reverse on way down. Some sort of part that engages the gear is weakening when hot, and only sometimes :-( .

Thank you in advance for any help.

John

18. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Stefan any updates ?

19. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Ferrari dealer found the error messages and re-programmed the F1 transmission. Said it would be ok now. I haven't driven the car so far but will report back if it works

20. pierre_l

pierre_l Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    Schestc2, no news, good news?

21. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    so far yes, but now in winter I do not use the car, more updates in spring....

22. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Hi, this is an update on the shifting topic. Just started the new season and realized the problem is still there. Car doesn't like to shift in high revs when hot. This time not only into 4th but also into 3rd, maybe other gears too. While driving downtown in low or mid revs not a problem at all, regardless if in normal or sport mode but if I hit it hart until 7K or more and then shift upwards the car doesn't do it immediately but only after delay which timewise differs.

I am having the feeling something with the F1 hydraulic is wrong, hopefully a simple bled might help. Any ideas from the community?

Cheers Stefan

23. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi Stefan, did you check the F1 relay ? you can find in your manual which one it is, Take the ground from your battery ( you may need to lift the relay with a screw driver hence the need to take out the ground,)
    You can open the relay with a small screw driver if you can see carbon on the contacts that could be your problem. You can clean it up and reassemble and order a new relay in the meantime. Other issue could be your pressure accumulator, they also get bad
    The F1 relay is common to all F1 equipped cars so you can info if you google it
    Your solution for a diagnostic is to buy the Scuding relay, it has a diagnosis function, it will tell you what is wrong. Pump, accumulator ... not relay since it is then new. Visit their website and make your opinion. I think the relay will cost you less than the next visit at your dealer
    One thing you have to be careful is that if you have faulty component in your F1 system, other parts will start failing. If you accumulator is dead, the pump will ultimately run in circles and fry ... the scudding relay is protecting your from this.
    I recently changed my F1 fluid and it does wonders. The whole operation seems to work much better. Gear change is sharper than before and clutch release is as it was intended, no dog nodding effect. I mean the oil was 14 years old, ****ty job to do even for the dealer but well worth it.
    Before going again to the dealer try the relay thing, will cost you 10 minutes of your time and its free.
    Let us know how it goes

24. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Slow shifting when hot, imho, is an actuator issue and will need to be replaced.

25. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    What can I say....

Driving the car for the last 4 days more than 1500 km through Tuscany and it runs great. Now obviously I am shifting more normal and not reving the engine up to 7.4 K as its too dangerous on those roads here but driving normal the car behaves very well, no issues ar all. So what I am going to do with the next service is changing the fluid and bleeding the system, eventually also checking the relay (thanks swiss612) If after that the car still has the issue I guess I have two choices, first live with it (as its not disturbing when driving in 99% of all cases) or second, check the actuators.

Will keep the results posted....