Jenson Button To Indycar in 2018? | FerrariChat

Jenson Button To Indycar in 2018?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, Aug 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if the "in America" line is what you're reading into, that could also be the Penske/Acura car in IMSA or an NSX in IMSA or PWC.

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Good points.

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Interesting. But, Button is not Alonso. Not even close.

5. In what seat? 'Doesn't matter who you are if not with the right team. Alonso did nothing special that any decent driver wouldn't have done in the Andretti car at Indy...

6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    A debatable statement.

7. #7 lorenzobandini, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Okay.
    Most recent....
    2017 - Sato (Andretti) wins. How special is he?
    2016 - Rookie Rossi (Andretti)was outqualified by allhis teammates but beat everyone in the field in the race. How special is he?
    2015 - JPM (Penske) Q'd 15th but won. Special?
    2014 - Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti) outQ'd by teammates but wins. Rookie, Kurt Busch (Andretti), 3rd. Specials?

How many do we need to do? Decent, newbie decent, over-the-hill, and decent all win. Notice the trend? Their rides? Two of the three top teams (don't fergit Ganassi)
    Not knockin' Alonso, but IndyCar is no bellwether. Anyone in/from F1 is above decent, (I'll even include Stroll) so what's the debate?
    I know, there was flukes in '13, Kanaan with KV, and '11 Herta (was it linked with Andretti then also?) but aside from them all the way back thru 2000 (I didn't go any further), powerhouse teams won the 500, Alonso's sole IndyCar endeavor. :)

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't see it.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #9 GuyIncognito, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lorenzo with his daily dose of....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. #10 lorenzobandini, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    "....facts as opposed to fantasy." is how I would have continued that sentence.
    Hmmmppphhh. Hate? :confused: (hmmm, reminds of "fake news", state it often enuff and it's believed, even without any basis)
    I enjoy any kind of racing (even :eek: NASCAR}, as stated early after registering here.
    I know of no form of (edit: meant to insert pro-) auto racing that you don't need to be with a top team to shine. '2728 stated that's debatable. I responded.
    Explain the hate. ;)
    I'd apologize for coming across as hateful but I don't see it. :)

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If Indycar starts to look like a retirement home for old F1 drivers, that's a bad thing.

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    It's been that for a long time....

13. I'm back to spew some more hate... :rolleyes:
    Why? I don't consider any coming from-to as "retired' and would welcome them. That would be good, no? If they're better isn't that what we want to see? The best plying their trade? I know some drivers that could be replaced by them to raise the bar....

Absolutely, but none of Alonso or Button's caliber. The only one close in my book that came from F1 to IndyCar (actually CART at the time) was Mario after doing it the other way around first. ;)
    In either case, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Andretti > Alonso

Mansell > Button

....and I'm a fan of all four.:)

burgerman likes this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Fittipaldi, Mansell, DaMatta, Franchitti, Zanardi, Montoya, etc etc etc

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sullivan, Rahal...

BHW

18. Eddie.....Cheever, that is.... :)

19. #19 lorenzobandini, Aug 25, 2017
    Understood they transferred, but I don't rate them as high as Alonso Button, and Mario. Nigel maybe...
    There was also Mark Blundell, Guerrero, Moreno, etc. etc.

But all these names make my point...if you ain't in a top team, you don't display what you might if you were. Nigel was. Emerson was. Mario was. See what I mean. No hate, just facts. :)

btw...when was Dario in F1? I don't recollect when or who... I'll Google.

'Googled. Uh-uuuhhh. 'Sorta sounded right but I've been following a loooonnnggg time and had no inkling of him in F1, as "right" as it feels. Maybe the accent, eh? :)

20. Rahal "retired" from F1? I don't think so. ;)

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Omg....non sense... any us driver is crap versus any. F1 driver...sorry but americans really dont know how to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Is this one angry too? :D

I'd imply with something much closer than "fake" but I don' wanna' get banned so I'll just say ignorant (chose the word carefully so as not to offend) and do the usual fact thing.

Nat - You might wanna re-think that one. No, we haven't had too many very successful in F1 but I don't think Phil, Dan, Eddie, Mario, Michael, Jim, Hap, Dannies (Sullivan and Ongais), Mark, Peter, George, Als (both Unsers and Holbert), AJ, Bobbies (Unser and Rahal), Parnelli, PJ, and on and on would agree with you. :)

23. Natkingcolebasket69

I will just summarize it this way: just check how easy it is to get the driver license it is in the usa, then check the amount of people who knows how to drive stick here& lastly the amount of people who overtake from
    The right not using blinkers and that pretty much sums up the level of the average American driver.
    I love this country to death, live here , married an American lady but when it comes to driving this is not this country's forte.
    I was in italy over the summer, most ppl were drivinf like crazy 120-140mph on the highway; didnt see one accident nor did i feel unsafe... here omg... everytime i take the ferrari out i litteraly that no idiot will come in my lane with out checking their mirrors...

24. #24 lorenzobandini, Aug 25, 2017
    Excuuuuse me. Silly me. I thought this was a thread about racing drivers. What do i know? :confused:
    So now we're comparing F1 drivers to the general public of the U.S.? I guess I'm the ignorant one, eh? :)

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Scott speed is the last us driver in f1 , how well did he do?
    Michael andretti? Senna was making him look like a puppy in. 93 and he got fired...
    and alonso? In his first race, he was on track for a podium finish if not win the 500...
    Take also bourdais, french guy, horrible f1 driver won champcar so easily its not even funny.

Of course you have some good drivers but compared to europeans or South Americans the overall results simply are not there.