Etihad Airways posts a $1.87 billion loss, in the worst blow for Gulf carriers | FerrariChat

Etihad Airways posts a $1.87 billion loss, in the worst blow for Gulf carriers

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#2 DXB599, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    What does this have to do with Ferraris?

I fly globally quite a lot and have flown Qatar Airways, Emirates, and Etihad numerous times, the experience in first, business ,and economy is on average far superior to US and European carriers. The biggest advantage they have is much newer planes, systems, and infrastructure, few to no legacy issues, and significantly lower labor costs due in large part to lack of unions and an international workforce. Customer service is also in most cases much better compared to the older airlines with friendly and cheerful staff. The airports and ground facilities have virtually no comparison to anything in the west. There are also several excellent Asian carriers. This is all good as it is forcing US and European carriers to upgrade and adapt, or go under.

uhn2000 and F485 like this.
  2. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Your points are spot on but why so defensive . He is just sharing some information.

I like Qatar and Etihad and use them to fly to Middle East but would never use them to fly to Europe or US. Service staff on the ground with Dubai is terrible but the ones in Qatar and Abu Dhabi is excellent .

The worst airlines is South African Airways, the ground staff and the crew are terrible and its comparable to United .

I usually use Singapore Airlines and their service is Best imho.
    The ground staff in Singapore is just as bad as Dubai.

I am just staring my experience.

3. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#4 DXB599, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Perhaps I took it the wrong way, but I'm sick of the whining from US carriers about Middle East airlines. I'm a 10-year Diamond Medallion on Delta, so I fly US carriers quite a lot in addition to the Middle East based airlines. Frankly, the three I mentioned far exceed service of US carriers. Having my champagne or JW Blue served by a smiling 22 year old hottie sure beats a 65 year old with a bad attitude in Delta First. :)

Dubai and Doha airports are in a different league from anything I can recall in the US. Singapore airport is quite nice as are the Singapore Airlines flight attendants.

Cheers, Safe travels.

Now back to Ferraris.

uhn2000 likes this.
  4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I've flown Emirates, and it offers a level of service that no US-based carrier does. The point of the article, though, is that it's losing money hand over fist. Normally, the rules of business dictate that that means it will have to change its' practices (or fare structures) to survive. For a national carrier (and maybe especially for one in the ME), however, that rule may or may not apply.

CW

5. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    No doubt all been spent on players for Manchester City, here in the uk

6. bonneau13

bonneau13 Karting

Oct 18, 2009
    California
    Plastic club with Chelsea and PSG

7. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Its all relative, USD 1.87 billion is not a loss, its the cost of doing business and promoting Abu Dhabi as a regional and global hub. Airlines in general are a crappy business, the fact some of them make money is a miracle of good management.

8. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    I couldn't agree more about the level of service of the Gulf carriers v US carriers - worlds better, including the food, in flight entertainment, and the hostesses, not to mention much newer fleets. However, all this is funded in part by state subsidies, which the US carriers contend are illegal. I don't know and frankly am less inclined to look into it than I am to continue to enjoy the Gulf carriers' service.

If you really want to get me started, we can discuss US airports and the TSA. Absolutely abominable and inferior to virtually all European, Gulf, and Asian airports.