The new Portofino | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The new Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lee White, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed. Still no Pininfarina involvement but it looks like it's trying hard to pull connection to Pininfarina.

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #152 iloveferrari, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry. The elegance element is clearly lost. I purchased the Cali T simply because its side contour is so classy and resembles 599.

The proportion of the car appears weird to me. Yes, it is more masculine but at the same time, it looks like it is trying so hard to appeal. Now I can see why some people do not like 812.

FERRARI CALIFORNIA T < Pininfarina

Also, I can't help it... I thought it looks like a beefed up miata...

I do like the interior upgrades too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    I must say I like the new Portofino more and more. When I saw the pictures today for the first time I wasn't very impressend. The design looked weird to me. Particularly the shape of the front grill, the air outtake behind the front wheel and the crinkle in the sill area at the bottom of the door. I think I have to see this car in person to be fully convinced!

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #154 TheMayor, Aug 23, 2017
    Front grill is probably the worst part of this design.

It looks like 2 different people designed it -- and they hated each other. :)

If I told you this looked like part of almost any Japanese car today you would all agree. There is no more "Italian design" anymore. Really sad.

5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    yes the front aggressive change is perfect, the side by side profiles look very similar but the front changes so much about the whole car for me

6. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #156 iloveferrari, Aug 23, 2017
    could not agree more.

7. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Like what I've seen so far and glad I have ordered one. Ticks so many boxes. Well done Ferrari.

8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Looks decent except for that god awful plasticky rear bumper.

9. turboslut

turboslut Karting

May 31, 2016

I said the same thing to my boss (F12 owner).

I personally disliked the Cali....this one though...daddy like.

10. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  12. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Surprisingly , first impression from the pictures, I really like it. I generally need to see the car in person before I start liking it but this one really looks good to me. I especially like the front grill. Looks much more aggressive than the Cali T. I'd like to see some pictures from the back but I think is a nice evolution. It still looks classy yet more aggressive. Throw in some extra horsepower and torque , a tad more room in the back, nicer roofline and you get a great sporty GT. Now the name? No comment.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so what is final word on whether portofino is another update of california or completely new model? is it like 575 to 599 or 430 to 458? or is it like 550 to 575 or 360 to 430?

14. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Is this car built on new 2019 multi platform?

15. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    Love it. Definite step up in design from the CaliT.

But am I the only one who dislikes the almost complete CGI look that Ferrari uses in their launch photos???? blah!!!

16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #166 jgonzalesm6, Aug 23, 2017
  17. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I think the car will look even better in a dark color like tdf or cdf. Plus the wheel design is bland. The overall look will be enhanced if it had stylish wheels.

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The front grill of the original Cali looks more like the Japanese car than the new Portofino.
    The Portofino face has borrowed some elements from the 812, which some say looks like a Jag on one end and a crovette on the rear end.

The new Portofino name is pretty authentic.

19. Monsieur Yoge

Monsieur Yoge Karting

May 20, 2016
    This the new design language for Ferrari. Whether the tifosi like it or not, this is the path they are taking. I see some resemblance with the 812 (which I am not the biggest fan of...) and I can't fault the Stilo Centre for doing things their own way. Very different look but that is what Ferrari need, I can see the younger customers liking the new design language. This will look better in the flesh (like the 812, according to my friends...) and in a darker color (Blu Scozia...?) Ferrari will sell plenty of this. Perfect name, too. Better than superfast...

20. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    I really like everything about it and it really shows that they don't need Pininfarina to make a beautiful looking car. I think it will look even better with a different set of wheels as well as the ones pictures are a bit weak imo.
    Well done Ferrari!

21. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Exactly!!!

22. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    -The dual springs will help the suspension. Cali T HS is too stiff.
    -Side slip is v3. That's cool.
    -More rigid, great

-Any news on shift times vs Cali T HS?
    -Was anything done with the engine beyond the very minimal HP bump?

-488 owners, does the 488 hide the turbos or torque up any differently than the Cali T/HS or just more power.

The Greatest Hits are here IMO:

Same thing as the Lusso, meant to sell you on day one, not make you fall in love in year 10

All over the place with features and exciting lines, yet lacking integrity and subtlety and anything Italian.

To be fair, this seems a catastrophic fail. If it was any other brand, a fail ... copying a Lambo? Whoa. Yes I know it was never released, yet IMO someone needs to be fired for missing that one on research.

You don't copy anything Lambo at Ferrari ! Lambo is a Ferrari copy, with more aggression in the styling. The line is further blurred here in design and name.

The only think Italian in the design is maybe the name, and yet that city has no reference to anything Ferrari as was said here:

Yes it's a top down coastal town, yet it's like calling it La Ferrari di L.A.

I feel the TDF suits the juvenile era of this non PF design team. So it's more generic, as everyone is going toward Lambo aggression.

To use an old Lambo name on top of this ... ouch.

Finally ! For sure. Really should have been done on the Cali.

Agree it will be better in reality and need to config with white and maybe a black top for me :)

Agreed. Less Viper, more Camaro + BMW.

Can you please share this view in detail? Where is that elegance? Honest question. I want to see it.

Except as was said, those cities have a Ferrari meaning.

Ouch. And I think on point. RACE is not Ferrari anymore. Still a great thing, but Sergio is corporate.

I like the front end, even with the shark smile.

Need to see it in person. Very busy at first look. Jaguar, BMW, Camaro language ... that also splits the F12/812 gap in a good way

Still not sure that design integrity has yet arrived for the young Ferrari design team. Still very aggressive, and lacks italian or Ferrari design language. Still not loving that wheel or the new interior.

Need to see it in person !

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think this is a new platform and hence the new name. I think they want to take the V8 GT into a more sporty direction and hence the more taught styling. I like it. I think they did a masterful job. I think in some ways its more difficult to style a front engine car that can seat 2+2 and has a folding roof than doing a mid engine car. I really don't think the name is a problem. Sure you can say good luck naming a car the "Orlando" but most of us equate Ferrari with Italy and we equate Italy with romance. So picking one of the most beautiful places in Italy (a beautiful country, blessed with one of the best locations on planet Earth)- its not a bad idea! I think we could be more critical if they named a limited edition after this more relaxed location that does not have a direct link to Ferrari history.

As to the California, you really have to know about the 250 California! In addition to what of2worlds posted, the world had a more romantic view of California back then. It was the place of dreams and Ferrari is the car of dreams. When you go to some places in Europe - some have been named for places in America. They did this a long time ago, they had a romantic sense of America back then. Trying to stay away from politics, just saying thats how it was. California has a very large place in Ferrari's road car history.

PS- as to which one- I like the looks of the SWB better, but if a genie arrived and said "here is a Ferrari 250 California" and it was the LWB one, I would not complain- I'd just say thanks and can I have a years supply of gas? :)

I'm really excited by what I see and I will be placing an order!

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    How so?

25. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    YES PLEASE!!! I love this design. , -a little biased as I've got 1 of the 1st RHD uk ones when they arrive (apparently - but there again I still believe in Santa Claus !!)!
    Equally I'm a great fan of the airbrushed oversized shields on certain models and this design ( together with the tdf and Superfast ) seems to lend itself to this- Bravo Ferrari!