The last days of De Tomaso | FerrariChat

The last days of De Tomaso

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by energy88, May 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    For those of you interested in all things De Tomaso, here is an interesting article about the last days of the company and the factory with some very, very interesting photos of incomplete cars left behind. The article speculates that the bankruptcy court is probably the rightful official owner of these remnants. Enjoy!

The Sad Last Days of De Tomaso - **********.com

2. valenciennes

valenciennes Karting
    BANNED

May 8, 2017
    The cars museum was sold to Belgium, Pantera 3 seats, 5000 Sport, P70, 2000 Flat 8, etc

3. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    His widow, a NJ heiress whose dad was a founder of Monmouth Park (a horse racing track), still has a stable of racehorses, including Irish War Cry, who ran at the Kentucky Derby this year. It was her family money that funded DeTomaso in his early years. (They met when she was racing cars in the '50s).

4. stevec

stevec Rookie

May 8, 2004
    Curious: Did DeTomaso keep build records on their cars? And if so what happened to them when the factory closed?

Anyone have any idea?

5. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    Santiago has a hand written book on all the early cars

6. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Funny you ask that specific question. I was talking with Steve Wilkinson yesterday about that same thing. Steve has an agreement with Santiago ( Alessandro's son) to buy all the docs. Unfortunately Santiago has been a bit under the weather in the last few months and not motivated to do much.

I am one of the few privileged to have the build sheets for my car. :)

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Denis, would you mind sharing a snippet? Maybe a photograph of one of the sheets? So cool. How many sheets are there in a complete factory build?

8. valenciennes

valenciennes Karting
    BANNED

May 8, 2017
    #8 valenciennes, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    So sad, I've visited that facility and was graciously shown around Isabella (? Forgot her name?) back in the 90's. A wonderful marque that should still be with us.