Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 47 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #1151 Nurburgringer, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Went overboard at Chepe's Carniceria yesterday so used up the last of the Kingsford Mesquite briquettes on a mixed grill feast: 3 lbs beef ribs (1/2 with Goya Sazonada Total 1/2 with spicy Jamaican ox-tail marinade), 2 lbs chicken breasts pre-marinaded with annatto plus 2 lbs boneless pork chops.
    Fresh tortillas, salsa, chipotle refried beans and rice rounded out the plate.

When I walked into the dining room with the 1st round on a wooden cutting board the boy cried out "I need MEAT" :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #1152 TexasF355F1, Jul 31, 2017
  3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That looks great!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

How did I miss this?!?

You're training that young man right!
    That's some serious meat.

T

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #1155 darth550, Aug 14, 2017
    We went to our local spot her for lunch today and Eric got the Texas Fries, which are the closest thing to Goode Co's stuffed potato I've found, just fries instead of baked. I got the beef ribs with a hot link.

This place is great! :p

6. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    OMG!! That looks awesome!! Did Eric finish it all? That's a ton of food.

Now I need to go back and get the potato.

7. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Everything looks great !!

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    One of the few things I miss about Houston!!

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Went there myself a few weeks ago. Typically do Harris Cty (egg, cheese and jalapeno sausage taco platter for lunch is the bomb), Brook's, Carl's, or Spring Creek in that order but G&C does fine BBQ when I'm in the mood to splurge.
    Is piling all those tasty condiments on top of your brisket a TX thing? Can't say I've ever seen it done.
    I'm picky when it comes to brisket and ask for sauce on the side. Then load up the plate around it from the fresh bar.

haha right on!

What place is this? Vegas? Good smoked beef ribs are probably my #1 fav. Only get them once every month or two, but damn my mouth is watering right now thinking about them...

10. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    No, here in LA

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    He got close. :)

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I actually am not a big BBQ sauce guy, I just like a hint of sauce, but forgot to get it on the side. I've always put my condiments on top of my BBQ. When I take a bite of the meat I like to have a pickle, onion and jalapeno all in the fork with it.

I'm still not a fan of spring creek. The last couple times was better than before but it's still just meh for me.

I really need to get back to hickory hollow again. Haven't been in years.

Truth be told I don't love Goode Co. but it was on my home from class that day and it sounded like a great place for lunch.

Haha! With all that close counts! :)

13. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Texas BBQ made me the same way. I used to LOVE KC style bbq until I moved to Texas. NOW I can't stand the sugary KC stuff. I want it as a compliment to my meat, not a substance that covers it and tries to mask whatever good or bad flavor is underneath.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Y'all learning, son! No sauce. Sauce goes on the side, if at all.
    T

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #1165 TexasF355F1, Aug 20, 2017
    This is another reason spring creek bbq sucks. I was craving a BBQ potato and didn't want to drive far so I just settled for spring creek. Weakest BBQ potato I've ever had in my life.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yep, Spring Creek is disappointing. As far as local/regional chains, I'd go to Rudy's before I go to Spring Creek, although I do not know if Rudy's does BBQ taters...T

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think just about every BBQ place does a baked potato. There's another place that's not that far up the road called Carl's but with the 290 construction being spotty I didn't want to chance it. Little fact, a girl I grew up with, her parents started and ran Carl's for years. Not sure of they still do it not but I'll be 36 this year so that's how long it's been around.

18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I've been with a bunch of people that ate BBQ baked potato at various places but never had the urge myself.

What was so bad about the SC one? Looks like brisket AND bacon on it?
    $10 or so?

Their $9.95 brisket or pork rib lunch with all you can eat sides works fine for a quick BBQ fix, especially since it's ~5 minutes from the office.

Although if Rudy's wasn't 15 minutes each way would go there first, and get 1/2 pound of their "chopped with sause" and a side of creamed corn and banana pudding.

Carl's has a fantastic chicken fried chicken special on Tuesdays that I'm overdue for.

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No bacon. The amount of meat was way less than it looks in the pic. But besides the amount of meat, just everything. Hard to explain but I've had quite a few bbq potatoes and normally the meat completely covers the potato. It wasn't bad taste wise but I was still hungry afterwards, and that never happens.

Again this was a Saturday at 1pm so Kurt, you know how 290 is in our area. Saturday and Sunday it's to be avoided lol.

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Whenever I see a BBQ potato at G&C or Rudy's it looks the size of a football... definitely shouldn't be hungry afterwards.

And yeah, I absolutely try to plan my shopping/eating/travels around the goddam construction that will never end. We've been in our house 4 years this month and it had started before we moved in. Can't even blame Union workers down here for how long it's taking! ;)

It was on 290N near Hwy 6 on Friday that a rock surely from the construction right alongside kicked up and smashed the windshield of my father's CLK on the way back from Eurocharged's dyno. Grrrrr....

Rant over :)

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Exactly lol. They're always massive. And BTW, I eat the entire potato, skin and all.

At least theyre almost always working on some area of 290. Sucks about the rock chip, who knows where it came from. About a month into my WRX ownership I got a rock chip while on 99. Those little pebble bastards come out of nowhere and ruin our days lol.

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Just got back from lunch at Spring Creek. Had a pretty good smoked turkey salad with jalapeno ranch (Harris Cty salad is better with avocado, tortilla strips and choice of any meat) but at the table next to us a guy sat down with a BBQ baked potato.
    You definitely got robbed Jason. His was HUGE and piled with stuff. I wanted to take a pic but he looked scary... :)

23. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ha!!!

They must know I never visit lol.

24. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005