Is it time for gun control in Washington? | Page 46 | FerrariChat

Is it time for gun control in Washington?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Mayne Bannon is right and we need a world war to get all our dots in a row again, but other than the fact that there are already wars raging, who do we fight?

1. It would be nice to free the North Koreans but last time I looked it's not cool to mess with other countries politics. An the UN isn't doing anything so until they attack we can't.

2. Assad (spelling?), Yes he needs to be taken out, but I don't want to fight a war against soldiers just doing what they are told. We need a snipper to take him out not a war.

3. Many governments in places such as Africa need to be dissolved due to massive corruption but heck will we end up with a better end result? Look at Afghanistan and heck Trump has been voted in so does democracy really work? If Trump dropped his business interests I'd feel better but IMO he's just lining his pockets.

4. Extremists ... impossible to beat, and we'd have to bomb the southern states of America!

6. People smugglers ... yes!!, but surely we should go after the cause ie. Inequalities and corruption meaning some are born into poverty or war.

So number 6 makes me think we should rage war against the stock markets as the end result is profit only focus, often going overseas with the workers and their communities suffering.

So maybe a war against the rich bastards, who benefit from these stocks, who are happy to buy their next Ferrari Supercar (for example) paid for by enslaving their fellow man ... oops that means many of you!!

Now Aircon will say I'm being silly again and IanB that I'm naive but are we really staring at a failure of the capitalist system, as where I sit the rich are getting considerably richer while the rest suffer/are enslaved.
    Pete

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

Don't be silly!

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heck I can't count as well! Number 5 went missing, lol

Pete

4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    the attraction of left wing ideology is that it confers victimhood on it's believers while providing a narrative of "rich bastards" to blame for the world's ills.

The public trading of company shares was an innovation of the 16th century that led to unprecedented economic growth and the creation of the middle class. In the 21st century, just 17 years old, more people have been raised out of poverty than at any time in human history.

Finally the "rich getting richer" narrative is a leftist fiction. In fact the middle classes are getting richer faster through property values, while the poor are actually enslaved by the welfare system. Wealthy people don't put their money in a vault - they invest it and the result is new economic activity which creates employment and opportunity for all. Attack wealth and you end up with Venezuela, to name but one example.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ian,

My experience with large corporate companies that I've worked for has been looking constantly for ways to make even more profit, nevery satisfied with their current growth. Is this sustainable? I honestly don't think it is and in the end staff are pushed out and that affects their families, etc.

Now of course the off shore share holder doesn't give a toss and just wants more and more profit or he/she will invest elsewhere.

So yes the share market has helped but maybe share holders need to be more realistic or something because it appears to me that the system slightly broken.

Continue later
    Pete

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Please don't

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #1132 PSk, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Is there a single finger icon?

Anyway, Ian, I used to completely agree with the "right" ... but now not so sure.

When I was a little child, companies existed to support their local community. Gee I'd like to see a lot of that return in this modern world.
    Pete

8. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    FFS Pete, did you grow up in dreamland?

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    He's grown up? I thought he was one of us.

10. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

He said when he was a little child.

Like Wes.

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Wes is only a little child in one place.

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    All dogmas are fine in theory, but history is a wheel and as one bogs down under its own success the wheel turns towards the opposite...

13. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

Lake Cathie?

14. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    The influence of Ezekial?

15. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Corporates must be profitable.

If they are not, then they can't do all the things they need to do to remain in business.

Furthermore, a more efficient company will acquire them.

16. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    I didn't hear you complaining. NTTAWWT.

17. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    What happens in Lake Cathie, stays in Lake Cathie. Hopefully. ;)

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Correct, but does this have to be the only model?

And Horse I grew up in New Zealand, and yes I was fortunate to be able to be a naive child with not a worry in the world thanks to financial and family security from my parents. I don't think I really became an adult until I had children ...

While I agree with Ian and the most, if not all, of the rest of you that hard work enables you to climb the ladder of success and then as your wealth increases you spend or invest more that supports others on that same treadmill, I am now well aware that not all people are born equal and that a large % of unemployed or people on welfare have a mental illness. Now in the animal world it would be survival of the fittest, but we are supposed to show support for a fellow man. On top of that it is but luck that you are born into a sensible country that is not constantly wasting it chances with infighting, etc.

Currently the world has returned to a **** you attitude to less advantaged people, and this is aptly demonstrated by wealthy corporations ... I'm looking for a different model, but is there one?
    Pete

19. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can't agree with that.
    I don't think the world has ever been more "enlightened" when it comes to trying to look after the less advantaged than it is now.
    Companies are still allowed to make a profit. The two are not mutually exclusive.

20. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    the problem today is not companies who are run honestly, produce a good product, and make a fair return on investment. The problem is the accounting and oversight culture that has produced crooks who churn paperwork that produce nothing tangible except a great profit for them and losses to their gullible investors. when the most valuable product in the world is advertising (because in reality that is what Google, Facebook, Apple etc are selling) we know we've arrived in the hall of smoke and mirrors. And of course, all that distortion makes iit that much harder for the genuine businesses to survive.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Have you every needed or requested assistance?

Perspective makes a big difference.
    Pete

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    BTW I never said companies should not make a profit.

My point regarding the share market is that every year you need to produce a higher profit. This is unsustainable.
    Pete

23. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Not at all. No company has 100% market share, the objective is to grow your market share by being more efficient, making better products, or innovating with new products. That's how a free market works and why human civilisation has progressed since the invention of agriculture.

A public stock market is a very efficient way of providing capital (from investors) that is deployed to improve output (goods & services). The best companies succeed and prosper, the worst companies fail and disappear. The overall economy grows and living standards improve.

Capitalism isn't perfect, but it works best because it follows the principles of evolution in nature. It most often fails when governments distort the market with excessive regulation and subsidies, most of the time to the long term detriment of the society they represent. Witness France or Greece or indeed Australia's government debt, which will have to be repaid by future generations through declining living standards.

24. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    It's not just about the headline Profit number.

It is even more about sustainability, efficiency, relevance, reputation and ROE.

25. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

So not where you work then?