Ferrari 'needs' to be involved in Formula E, says CEO Sergio Marchionne | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 'needs' to be involved in Formula E, says CEO Sergio Marchionne

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jgonzalesm6, Mar 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I would rather see them in Formula E than IndyCar.

2. edit to post #50 (too late): I counted 8 constructors in WEC: Oreca, Porsche, Toyota, Alpine, Ligier, Dallara, Riley, and (who???) ENSO.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For your information, there are only 4 car companies in F1: Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes and Honda. The others are just teams.

Formula E already has Renault, Mahindra, Venturi, Audi, Jaguar and will have Mercedes in future. Porsche is also interested, so is Tesla . Finally, Marchione indicated that FCA may participate.

There is more interest from car manufacturers in electric technology than in ICE.

The car industry is changing, that we like it or not.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Porsche is withdrawing, leaving only Toyota for the time being.

The others are not car constructors, just chassis builders.

The WEC has just ONE manufacturer!!

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    WEC is the weakest and has been the weakest euro series for years. Pick another gas powered series, like maybe GTLM or GTD. What do you think a race with electric motors will sound like?? Did you hear the brake rotors and tires squealing on that one, they sounded awesome?? Why go to a race, just watch it on TV with the announcer voice over not being a problem.

On electric cars, take off your tin foil hat for a minute and think. They are not green due to battery production(and that is a problem that will be hard to fix without causing more problems). If your government is pushing something, 90% of the time it is filled with half truths. The facts are coming out and will continue to come out about Electric cars. Hybrid is the way to go, not full electric. Windmills and solar panels are so over blown it is not even funny. And green roofs on buildings are another stupid idea. How much pollution do you think it makes to build windmills or put trees and grass on a skyscrapers roof, not to mention upkeep due to structural damage caused by extra weight and always having to bring supplies up to the roof top.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #56 william, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

Reducing CO2 and Nox emission in densely populated areas is the problem.
    You will not achieve that with ICE engines. Period.
    We may not like it, but that's the way it is.
    I am not following any government line; I can think for myself. Thank you.
    Air pollution, mainly in cities, is a big problem; it is mostly the fault of ICE vehicles, but not only
    You may prefer to bury your head into the sand, and that's your choice, but don't try stopping people who want to do something about it.
    Your attitude is as narrow-minded as to try to stop me buying organic food, because I don't like to absorb pesticides or GM crops used by industrial farming.
    It's about quality of life, no more, and no less. It's my life too!

Obviously, if you don't see a problem, you are not interested in looking for solutions.

7. #57 lorenzobandini, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    However, your post...
    ...was regarding constructors, not manufacturers of automobiles.

I can't read good...no one can. Good is an adjective. I do read very well, an adverb; as stated earlier, I was an editor for a bit. ;)

Automakers are manufacturers; auto racing chassis builders are constructors.

Some don't write very good :rolleyes:. Others read and write well. :p :)

Please don't be offended/insulted. I mean no harm.... :)

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I see a problem, but the "green" solutions you have underlined will not correct the problem as they are. And by the way, you can also go and buy all the organic food you want.

Back to racing. This is a Ferrari website. Ferrari's are loved because of the way they look, and SOUND, just like racing cars. Racing will have to be a 100% subsidy if they take away the looks(LMP1 already took looks away making them very popular ) and sound.

9. See post#57.... :)

10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Might be fast off the line, but stay in ludicrous mode and what's the range, 50miles, less? Looks like a cheap japanese bore-o-wagon too. I'll keep the ferraris and the bentleys for now thanks. Petrol won't run out before I die, so I will enjoy burning it up and keeping my foot down heavy

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Many many of you hve your heads in the sand when it comes to electric cars and the serious performace tbey can provide. Not only that, you almost completely eliminate packaging issues in the design of the car. No rads to worry about cooling, no fuel tank to haul around..the list goes on. The electric car should be a boon to the performance car market, not a negative. These things will kick serious ass, and you will wonder why gas engines lasted so long. I can't wait to see what Ferrari will come up with!

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I agree about the performance, but they are heavy due to the batteries so that will hurt handling. Just don't pretend like they are green as the battery production kills any hope of that. They also don't sound very good, so I think a hybrid is the best bet for Ferrari. Small exotic high revving gas engines that put 1/3rd the emissions along with the electric motor(motors). That way you don't need as many batteries and the cars will sound nice and will recharge themselves.

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I think they should just call it "Formula Tesla". Truth in advertising.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Many underestimate the research going on both in electric cars and battery technology, and the huge investment it is receiving at the moment.

Electric cars of the future will not be ICE vehicles with the engine taken off and with a load of conventional batteries instead. They will be purpose built vehicles.
    Already, some EVs have batteries at part of the structure of the car, acting as its floor pan. The battery pack participates in the rigidity of the chassis as a stress-loading component.
    Also, new technology in body panels promises to capture solar energy transferred to the batteries. The whole body acting as a solar panel.
    EVs don't need cooling system, exhaust system, lubrication system, saving weight there.

As for the batteries, they will become more efficient in future, lighter, and with longer life cycle. Fast charging already exists, cutting down on time for the vehicle to top up the batteries, but contactless charging is not far away. Cars will just have to stay stationary above electricity pads in purpose-built charging stations for the electricity to be transferred to the batteries, without anything to plug.

Also, it's easily forgotten that an EV can recover some of its energy with regenerative braking, also when coasting or going down hill; this is wasted on an ICE vehicle.

I cannot see why sports EVs couldn't exist either, fitted with more powerful motors giving more performance than other cars. The sports and luxury car industry doesn't need to disappear, just to adapt to a new source of power. Sports EVs are already on the manufacturers' drawing boards.

The ban on ICE doesn't mean the death kneel of the motor car; it just provokes a rapid evolution. In 50 or 100 years time, people will wonder what the panic was all about!!