Ron Dennis to buy Toro Rosso . . . ?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ron Dennis to buy Toro Rosso . . . ??

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Aug 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Ron has done 5 great things, He has given us the McLaren F1, GTR, LM and the longtails and Lewis but I think it's time to get out and stay out!

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Errr... what about all those driver & constructor titles?

3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

McLaren used to be formidable:-

Seven WCC titles under Ron's management - 1984-1985-1988-1989-1990-1991-1998

4. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    ...used to be...

indeed.

5. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Not to mention bringing McLaren back from the brink of going under when he took over in 1981.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Just like anything, the successful McLaren era under Ron Dennis had a beginning, a life duration, and an end.

Tell me what's different with any other team?

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I have been hoping for a return at the top of the legendary Williams team for the last 20 years or so, so...yes, returning at the top may not work, actually.

Rgds

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, Williams has been struggling for years to get back to the front.

In the last 2 years, it has been overtaken in the ranking by Force India which has less than 2/3 of its budget.

I thought the arrival of Paddy Lowe from Mercedes would bring some progress on the technical side, but the driver line-up isn't too promising.

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    There's a limit to what a technical director can accomplish when management doesn't run the rest of the team properly. Couple of examples are driver philosophy as you point out, how much Williams manufactures in-house vs. subcontracting, how much they invest in their own windtunnel, etc.

Despite what one may think of Pat Symonds for Singapore, he's a world class TD. I can't imagine Paddy Lowe out performing him by a significant margin and elevating Williams past the mid-field. At best they will be able to actually compete against Force India.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, this is the thing.

Apparently Paddy Lowe moved from Mercedes to Williams, because he was promised a stake in the company (as Patrick Head had), and also be part of the decision making process in the team.

So, becoming a shareholder, and one of the directors, one would think his influence would be felt at some point. It's maybe too seen yet.

Also, Williams has the best engine in F1, but probably not at the same state of tune as the works Mercedes team, I suppose.

But falling constantly behind Force India doesn't look good.

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    True.

Merc customers supposedly get the same modes and power parity as the factory team, but like we saw with the LH/Bottas gearbox issues, the customers often don't run their stuff as aggressively for sake of being more conservative for reliability.

13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It seems Ron has bought a 175 acre property in Henley on Thames, next to park place to build his mansion.

I don't know if this is true due to the article/articles being un-reliable....

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, I saw that too. He apparently wants to do some farming there too.

It's quite a change for Ron Dennis to become a gentleman farmer.