Fabspeed Test Pipe Failure | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fabspeed Test Pipe Failure

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flea7, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #51 Flea7, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    As I expressed, I don't want a thing from Fabspeed.

......Lets move on.

2. gtr2

gtr2 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017
    texas
    Full Name:
    earl
    well said, this guy is not or will not tell the story . is going to end up with a half ass fix . i have basically the same set up and tune and love it , the service was excellent and fast . dealt with then on my GT4 they bent over backwards to get parts for me as we had a short time time frame . and before anybody thinks i have anything to with fabspeed i don"t

3. gtr2

gtr2 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017
    texas
    Full Name:
    earl
    #53 gtr2, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    good stuff

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

5. gtr2

gtr2 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017
    texas
    Full Name:
    earl

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie

7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!

8. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    It is pretty obvious that there is incorrect installation here. The unit was stressed from impacts from surrounding objects (i.e.: heatshield) which caused it to shear. Fabspeed was doing standard due diligence of inspecting the unit but the OP, knowing likely that his improper installation would void the warranty, threw a hissy fit because he wanted to Fabspeed to "just replace it" without any inspection therefore circumventing any improper installation.

Obvious situation and likely why OP is unwilling to share information or any details.

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

10. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I was following this thread as I have a somewhat similar setup and therefore curious as to the mechanical events. It would be so much easier if the guys that have really nothing to add except to attack the Op would just leave this thread alone, you don't know everything as I don't so stop acting like you do and prolonging the discussion on something that is over with.

11. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I live in FL so there is no emissions testing, however I was getting CEL warning so I took my 360 to Mase Engineering in Jacksonville, FL. He deleted the O2 code so that is no longer an issue. With Dyno data, he was able to bump the rwhp up 17 more hp and speed up the throttle response some. Well worth the effort!!!!!

The back story of my bung fracturing off. This happened while doing a SCCA PDX event at Sebring on the short course. After three twenty minute heats with high heat, high Revs, vibration, etc, etc... While coming back to the pit area, the exhaust note sounded way different. A inspection showed one bung completely broken off the high flow CAT and the other bung partially cracked through. I think that the high flow CAT was red hot while on the track and the metal just could not take it.

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thank for going into depth about what happened. If I would have know that it would have been a problem I would have definitely skipped the mini-cats.
    Hopefully, I can have my car ready for a September track event held by Ferrari of Seattle .....but it's usually raining by then.

So, are your welds holding up now?

13. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    I like ice cream as well but it's rained all summer long here in the UK. 🍦 ☔️

14. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    Off topic somewhat but very interesting to see an old-school approach to customer service. I would use your services if you weren't so exclusive or so far away!

15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #65 Flea7, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had some time to take off the test pipes.
    See Pics.

The first 3 pictures are of the complete failure with the bung put back on. The red circle area is where I think the crack started where the stress I believe was.

The other pictures are of the left side. I didn't notice anything when I took the mini-cats off but when I took a picture of just the O2 sensor put back on and I noticed a tiny crack in the picture.....and sure enough the left side is starting to fail as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #66 Flea7, Aug 10, 2017
    It look as if the weld didn't have enough heat in the area where I circled in red.
    I wonder what filler Fabspeed used. 304 ..308.

17. gtr2

gtr2 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017
    texas
    Full Name:
    earl
    call them and ask them, no you wouldn't do that

18. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Yikes...Flea7 - it is weird that it would be failing on both sides.
    I was getting ready to order the 02 extenders. I think the amount of heat generated by these things is so great, that it is definitely an issue.

19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Tailwag,
    It's not really that surprising. If it failed on one side with the same set up.....it will eventually fail on the other.

The mini-cats were used. O2 extenders are a little different and I did run those on the primaries but I took them off. ... And yes, a lot of heat runs through the pipes. You can see the bluing of the stainless.

20. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    I'm no weld expert - can additional welding be added around or over that area when the product is first bought to provide additional strengthening for future purchasers? (I know that shouldn't be the answer, but, say, for personal peace of mind)

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    No expert either in Tig welding but I have to say it's pretty tough to weld those two very different thicknesses of metals together. The amount of heat to get a good penetration on the bung is probably way overheating the thin stainless tubing and is surly suffer annealing. A "saddle" mount as pictured by one poster here is probably the best solution-- using a thicker material than the tubing but not as thick as the bung. Kind of stepping it down to a closer successful "matching" of heat for a secure and effective weld.

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #72 Flea7, Aug 12, 2017
    Very correct KC360. I did get the saddle mounted bung and it covers the hole but it does not sit on the pipe evenly due to the weld going across. Quite a gap....

23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've TIG welded quite a bit - built somewhere around 200 dragster chassis....

Perhaps I'm not seeing it in your photo but the weld looks like it's penetrated the bung to me. Had it not, the bung probably would have broken off the weld vs the tubing breaking.

24. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Just grind the weld flush before installing the bung - very simple :)

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Agree with Dave. You could always use some stainless filler rod too. Little more tricky, but a certified welder could probably do a really nice job of it. Maybe just tack it in place first and then turn it over to a real pro if your a little squeamish about it. ;-)