Fabspeed Test Pipe Failure | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fabspeed Test Pipe Failure

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flea7, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yes, it looks like this is the popular verdict. I think I'll use some supported bung as wade suggested and just ditch the mini-cats as I still got a CEL with them on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U6WX0M/ref=psdc_15730891_t2_B00180870QThe

The overall plan is to install the O2's and have Mase reprogram my ECU's.

This really is not that big of a problem when you compare it to what Victor has been through.

2. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I'm going to take a look at mine this morning, I have a similar setup but with capristo test pipes. I also had my ecu's tuned by Mase, I think you'll be in good hands. I need to get some good video but good Lordy the sound is unreal.

3. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thank you Jason.
    So, with the Mase program do you pass emissions with OBDII?

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I dont think the OP sounds hostile at all.
    Reading between the lines, it may not be the warranty itself that is the concern, but rather the conversation that took place between the OP and the fabspeed rep, which none of us are privy to. Let's face it, we've likely all had experiences with warranty claims that either made us feel totally taken care of and valued, OR as if we were someone shady with nothing better to do than inconvenience the manufacturer with specious claims.
    These parts cost a lot of money, and our driving seasons may be very short. A warranty may not be worth very much if there's doubt of it being honoured, or takes 1-2 months including transit, to complete.
    In a case like this, the manufacturer could have made it right by simply offering to reimburse the OP for getting it welded locally.

5. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
  6. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    #31 mr_bock, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a similar experience (different company products) where the bung for the O2 Sensor fractured all the way around. I also had a 90 degree elbow and Mini-CAT installed. My take on this is there is too much cantilevered weight, extreme heat and vibration for the thin metal of the pipe meets the thick bong material.

I did my own fix where I first welded the bung/joint back together. Then I made a 'X' shaped doubler plate that surrounded the bong and spread the arms out over the thin tubing. This was then welded all around so any forces are spread over a much larger area.
    Please excuse my poor looking welds, I am not a pro by any means.

I posted pix of all of this on this site a while back. I have since gotten rid of the elbow and Mini-CAT. No issues to date.

Good luck with your pipe!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I don't have any knowledge of that, I live in an area where emissions aren't tested.

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thanks for sharing.....what did you do about your CEL?

Gotta love Texas!:)

9. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sounds to me that the OP was not getting stroked a certain way and got a bitbent and testy because they asked too many questions. I find it pointless to come on here and vent per say without giving the details. It's possible the O2 sensors were over torqued. Possible. I think fabspeed is doing the right thing here by offering to inspect the pipes and take it from there. Everyone is getting so damn sensitive and testy. Wake up. The world does not revolve around you. It revolves around everyone. If you don't want to give us more details then I recommend shutting up. Facts, responses, tone etc. it's like saying you went to a restaurant and had a terrible experience. But wait. Can't tell you what we ordered, how it came out, what the manager/owner said, etc. it's not right. Tell us WTF happened or shut it.

Uhhhh. Had a bad experience with Fabspeed so just saying it was bad. Uhhhhh. Can't say what happened though. You just have to trust me. It was bad.

Come on really.

Don't know you from a whole in the wall.

R

Stealthssfc likes this.
  10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Want drama?....go watch Days of our lives.

Not over torqued.

11. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    This was my experience with Fabspeed as well, When I sent my ECU back to them the first time to turn the downstream O2 sensors back on so I could get my car inspected. The car immediately started throwing CEL. I called them multiple times. Sometimes they would return the call at her times I would be told the reflash couldn't possibly be the problem. I would be told they were talking to the tuner and they would call me back. I sent the ECU back to have the,restore the stock settings. Once again the CEL would come back on. Lots of phone calls some returned some not. Once again the tuner was looking into it a they would call back.
    Took the car to Tony Fernandes. He said the files were completely corrupted by Fabspeed.
    Fabspeed offered to "fix" them. I chose not to let them do it. It takes little time to loose trust a LONG time to regain

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Victor,
    Totally well noted. I hope all got fixed.
    My issues are very minimum compared to yours. I couldn't imagine what you've gone through.
    I just want to focus on the failure and not Fabspeed customer service. As I said in the other thread in the private section, this isn't a crap on Fabspeed thread. It's to let people know what can happen if a similar set up is used. I just got a bit irritated with Travis's posts when i should have just ignored it.

Wade provided a good one with a saddle supported bung. I may go with that.

Thank you,

13. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    For a Ferrari owner, I'm a bit appalled by the lack of maturity. There are right way to handle things and this is not it. Good luck.

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    But, the effect on the weld and contribution to the observed failure would be zero. Only thing over torqueing would do is place the threads in danger of being stripped.

15. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Agree. I just want the details. We are getting half of a half of half the story. All I'm sayin is tell us the details or don't tell the story. Waste of time.

R

16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    People saying it's over torqued are just plain wrong. I barley had enough space in there to fit a small wrench. Matter of fact, due to the heat cycle, I had to re-tighten many times.

Also, the marks on the Mini-cats are due to it being wedged in between the pipe and heat shield when it happened while I was driving. That was the chatter noise I was hearing along with the leak.

17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    What details?...with Fabspeed? Again, if want drama...go watch some soap opera.

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Details,
    I have Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed header blankets, Fabspeed testpiped, Fabspeed mini-cats, and Kline exhaust. The test pipes has only about 500 miles on them (250 with the mini-cats on them). O2 extensions on the primary.

I installed everything myself.

19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #44 RichardCH, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    I have been running O2 mini cats on my Kline Cats with 45 degree mounting inserts for 2 years on my F430 SCUD and also did briefly on my Spider too so I truly don't think we can say its stress from the Mini cats setup, otherwise it would have happened to me too by now. Notwithstandng that in this case Fabspeed also supplied the minicats for their own test pipes which should have been "fit for purpose" ......

20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Richard,
    Maybe it's the gauge of SS that Fabspeed uses? I don't know what Kline uses but I have their exhaust and they are quality. I think Fabspeeds has quality product as well. Also, were you running Fabspeed's mini-cats??? ....I ask because they are pretty beefy and have some weight while others are not so.

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I have no skin in the game here. I've been building cars for folks spending 6 figures for almost 26 years now. They expect and get a car that does not rob them of the joy of ownership. My reputation is spotless. Here's why:

I use a multitude of suppliers. When their product fails, it's not my fault, but it truly is my problem-- and I do everything to make the problem go away. Even when it's clearly not my fault. That's how you deal with clients. I can't help to think many here do not realize that you don't tell the customer what you are willing to do to make things right. You ASK the client what he or she EXPECTS you to do to make things right. Most times that approach results in a happy ending and a client that is much more amiable to compromise. You don't get back to them at your convenience. You don't point fingers. You put yourself in the clients' position and truly be empathetic.

The OP seems reasonable to me. Customer service is established to serve the customer. The OP stated that he had concerns about the 45 degree mounting and was told it was not a problem. Clearly it quickly became one. Now the OP is supposed to be OK with the solution proposed at the discretion of the the manufacturer.

The bottom line is the OP spent a lot of money and is now inconvenienced by a problem he seems to have seen coming. IMO Fabspeed should have paid the labor costs to remove the defective parts, and immediately sent out replacements AND paid for the installation labor to replace their failed product. No questions asked.

Do the post mortem on their own time. That would have been my solution. just my .02 from someone who has been there more than I care to recall.

Stealthssfc likes this.
  22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I am using Redback mini cats which are just as beefy as Fabspeeds, if not more so

Redback Fault Correction Mini Catalytic Converter - M18x1.5 Thread | eBay

23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm in sales and I couldn't agree more.

...But I will say this....and again, I don't want to put too much into it. I want to stay focused on the problem of the failure.

I didn't ask for any for any additional service of their warrantee....like free replacement, overnighting another part, or payment for labor as KC360 mentioned. So for people to think I'm asking or trying to get special service or free parts, or thinking i'm taking all this time to put one over on Fabspeed are just ridiculous.

24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Good post, KC360.

Flea, what would you have liked to happen/how did you want this addressed?

25. gtr2

gtr2 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017
    texas
    Full Name:
    earl
    "

"having us review the parts/damage" He said , they need the part to see why it failed you did not give them any chance to fix the prob to bad for you you just can't fix incompetence. but then again, TALK is cheap.lol