SO PISSED at NBC's TERRIBLE coverage. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

SO PISSED at NBC's TERRIBLE coverage.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RedNeck, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I wasn't aware of the rain delay, thanks for clarifying.

But, when planning events such as this, they've got to consider these contingencies (rain,
    track issues, cautions, etc.) when they announce the start time.

BHW

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    True, but it's better than it used to be, they started announcing the start time closer to the green flag a few years ago, for that reason. They used to announce coverage as start time and it would be 2 hours before the race actually started. Got old really fast.

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    What's with NASCAR insisting that races be finished under green, even if it's to the point of being downright silly and contrived?

4. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Because the people that reside behind the fake wood paneled walls said so! Any other questions???

:D

5. True indeed. But 'just reaching out to the unsophisticated, shallow, and short attention spanned demographics of a large segment of the population that require (cough) "exciting", albeit "contrived", finishes. :shrug:
    It's not just NASCAR's un-stock cars, yellows, stages, and finishes. Other forms have been hit also...spec cars and BoPing are the rage for the "good of the shows"... :(

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This weekend is one of the few nascars I make an effort to watch: Watkins Glen.

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    For me, it's the ONLY one.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The NASCAR shenanigans are at their zenith at the road course events.

Someone has half a spin off into the grass, returns to the fray no harm no foul, that
    necessitates a ten minute full course caution.

Two cars spin off with light contact, that necessitates a twenty minute full course caution.

A road racing "ringer" gets a two second lead, that necessitates a thirty minute full course
    caution.

Jr. Jr. Jr's, wife breaks a fingernail in the pits, forty minute full course caution.

And, the inevitable multi-car pile up crash with armco barrier damage, well of course that
    necessitates a two hour red flag.

The riveting excitement never ends.

But, it's not even this, it's the fact that when these cautions are going on, NASCAR is playing
    games with the running order with "the call" from high above the track. Notice how slow the
    pace car goes while pacing the field. It looks as though it can't be going more than 20MPH
    from the up close camera angles as the field literally crawls around the track.

And, somehow, that "ringer" who had a two second lead is now somehow down in fifth place
    without a prayer of getting back to the lead. Think I'm kidding? Just ask Ron Fellows and
    he will be happy tell you all about it.

I brought this up years ago and was told the reason the pace car went so slow on the track
    was because it was going the pit lane speed limit and no one could gain an advantage per the
    rules. What crap!

In what other series does the pace car go the pit lane speed limit while pacing the field? In F-1,
    for example, Bernd Maylander is pushing the Mercedes-Benz pace car about as hard as it will go
    and even then, the F-1 drivers are complaining that the pace car is going too slow.

And, frankly, watching those two ton behemoths rambling around the road courses is so
    boring compared to the likes of F-1, Indy Cars or sports cars that it's unwatchable.

IMSA is racing at Road America this weekend, that guarantees to be a far better race.

BHW

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Another BS late race yellow.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Gasp!

Say it ain't so!

BHW

11. Hear-hear!!! I missed today's Xfinity...'lookin' for a replay. While we're at it, can we bring back Riverside and ringer Dan? ;)

edit: Egads. IMSA at Road America too. Back and forth, back and forth. If they just time the yellows not to coincide, this could work.... :)

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just read how this new "Stage Racing" thing NASCAR has implemented is creating more
    intense racing. So, says the NASCAR P.R. machine anyway.

Not sure this is true or not but what occurs is how on a road course in particular, they
    come to the end of Stage 1 for example, then what? A 20 minute break? Then they
    run to the end of Stage 2 and another 20 minute break?

I kind of fail to see how this is a good thing for the ticket buying fans with all these built
    in breaks where nothing is happening on the track.

The only thing this is good for is the networks to block in more advertising to pay for the
    absurd NASCAR broadcast rights fees.

BHW

13. C'mon BW. Put on your adult sized thinking cap. It's simple. ;)
    It gives 'em more time to go buy more overpriced beer so they have cans to throw on the track (not that I have anything against beer...just the tosser type of "fan") to create more yellows without missing any of the yellows.... :)

14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I've been out of the country for the last two races and have the great joy of watching the TV coverage from Europe. The difference is night and day -- and by the way, the amount of commercial interruptions during the race over here is nil. NBC was the worst thing that ever happened to F1 for Americans.

15. Actually the thread was more about NASCAR coverage. Anyway, I really don't see much difference 'tween Speedvision's, Speed Channel's, Speed's, FOX's or NBC's, one way or t'other.... :confused:

16. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    A fuel mileage race at Watkins Glen. Congrats to Truex.

Still, that track allows the guys to really wheel their taxicabs around. And, it brings back good memories of going there in '70's for F1.