3.2 Cabriolet- Only 43 miles with a fresh major service | FerrariChat

3.2 Cabriolet- Only 43 miles with a fresh major service

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sixcarbs, Jul 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    amazing...wow!

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Very unique.

The back window seems completely opaque, or is that just the picture. Was it normal that the wheels were balanced with weights on the outside of the rim in period? Was the mph on the outside of the speedo and kph on the inside the normal euro set up? Would it not be kph only? The Ansa looks like more than 43 miles on it. And I think I see a third brake light on the rear shot, that would not have been on a 1986.

Might all make sense for a car that has been around and unused for so long. Wonder what the story behind this one is, there is another Mondial in one of the shots, with the US front bumper, maybe one was driven while the other was stored or just used for display?

4. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks legit from where I sit, except I agree on the Ansa. way too rough. In the U.S., third brake light brake light appeared in '86. Not sure about Europe.

5. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    Looks great!!!

Retrofitted Ansa, sidemarkers and 3th brake light.

Normally no 3 brake and side lights on Euro 3.2
    Unusual combination LHD EURO spec. with mph speedo.

Engine and bumpers look very Euro.

Engine will need extra TLC if someone really wants to drive it.
    Lots of oilseals and bearings to be replaced in the future.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, for the "Mondial" you would have to look inside an "Euro" owner's manual to be sure, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that it was meant to be that way for the (Euro at least) 328s.
    Some weights go inside the rim, some go outside; at the drop of the hat, I can't tell you which are going where, between static and dynamic weights, but yes, some are intended to go outside by the manufacturer.
    I always get a strange look at the tyre shop when I change the tyres on one of my two 328s when I tell them this, and they always ask for confirmation by looking at the owner's manual; but I still do it like the factory says it was meant to be.

Rgds

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No third brake light on "Euro" cars.

Rgds

8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Officially correct but that still could have been the era of whatever Luigi on the line stuck on it that day. I don't think they were known for their quality control back then. Maybe I am wrong?

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    LHD and mph speedo might be a car intended for the Channel Islands that was intended for Euro continental driving?

10. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't tell if the rear window really IS foggy, or if it's just the ceiling/light reflections. Some of the shots from the front 3/4 view seem like you can see right through the rear window?

11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, hard to tell from various pictures. It may have simply been sitting in unattended storage for quite a while, consistent with the type of recommissioning work required. It may well be 43km and sort of an abandonment scenario. Just surprising to see a ratty exhaust swap and some US markers/third light on an otherwise new unregistered Euro car.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #12 miurasv, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Spoke to the seller today. Nice guy. The car is as new he said. I asked about the rear window and he said it is a bit foggy as it's 30 years old. Hmm. He also said the ANSA exhaust was fitted when new and it's cobwebs that can be seen on it in the pictures. Apparently the car hasn't been properly cleaned in its life so its got 30 years of dust on it in places.

13. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    The car looks professionally detailed, yet there are cobwebs on the exhaust.

Although time is not nice to plastic, that rear window looks like the result of a car being exposed to the elements...Sun, rain, snow, etc.

14. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Image #46 shows the car was imported by L&M Imports. The plate in the door jamb says the car meets all Ferderal requirements. Might the car have been ultimatly destined for the USA?

15. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    #15 sixcarbs, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good eye!

VIN says it's a Euro car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I don't think a car with what looks like the non cat euro exhaust would have met the US emissions laws, nor would it without the bumpers modified. Maybe was intended as a grey market export, there was a lot of Ferrari speculators active at that time.

This car deserves a good story!

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The simple fact that it has a plate in the door jamb means that the car was not destined to remain in Europe: "euro" cars do not have any plate in the door jamb.

Rgds

18. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    This car is up to $72,864 US dollars with almost 3 days left! Had this car been in the US and a US car, what would the price be?

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow!

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, the 328 "time capsules", of which there are a few, do have aking prices of about $ 150.000. Actually, there is one in Europe (Germany) with 280 miles (450 kms) on the odometer for 199.000 euros right now. Of course, they usually don't sell at these prices, but if one can ask 199.000 euros for a "time capsule" 328, there is still some margin for a "Mondial" "time capsule", isn't it?

Rgds

21. mistral95

mistral95 Rookie

Jun 19, 2015
    Paris France
    #21 mistral95, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    I confirm the VIN is for a Euro spec non-cat, my 1986 Mondial Cab has similar VIN.
    In the engine bay is a black tank next to the water expansion tank. What is it? I have never seen in any Euro spec 3.2 engine non-cat.
    My guess is that this car was out of the factory as a standard LHD Euro spec Mondial, then later federalized by an external company.
    I wonder about the miles odometer, being a LHD car!
    Was the original km odometer replaced later by a miles odometer? Just a question...

22. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Today the page says the auction ended and has the following message:

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken."

Hope they didn't lose it.

23. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I assume either A) the auction price wasn't reaching what they wanted (no reserve?) or B) a deal was reached outside of ebay and they avoided the "commissions".

Either way, I hope the listing is at least still up so I can see the pictures. Work blocks ebay.

James in Denver

24. stockyg

stockyg Rookie

Nov 17, 2016
    S Wales. UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thank you for your interest in my car and positive comments. The car is actually nicer than it looks in the pic's. I can assure you it wasn't lost and is quite safe. The second car in the background is a USA spec' car, just fully recommissioned and obtained UK MoT with only 2,900 miles.
    Thanks again.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful car!! I hope you get a lot for it - it is well-deserved sir!

Cheers