Finally! Harley in bid to acquire Ducati | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Finally! Harley in bid to acquire Ducati

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by rdefabri, Jun 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #51 Wade, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HD took a big dump...

"Shares of Harley-Davidson were down more than 10% in morning trading, and are down more than 20% for the year."

"Aging demographics and a millennial generation that has grown uncomfortable with the company's outlaw reputation is dampening future prospects while raising concerns that the paradigm shift will pick up steam in coming years."

So, is now the time to buy? Or if you own, cut your losses and sell.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Really good point here:

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's a great point, still in line with what I've been saying.

Company doesn't have the be Ducati (although I preferred Ducati to MV), but SOMETHING that's outside their core market.

Their most recent news only MAGNIFIES the need for an acquisition now. Otherwise, their market will continue to shrink. And while they might be able to keep share, keeping share in a declining market is still a decline...not good.

Time to diversify!

4. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good lord the latest financials on Harley are awful. Down almost 10% YoY after a down preceding year. I love bikes but people are moving away from them.

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #55 Wade, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For inner-city downtown types areas, the Ruckus (both name and product) should have been HD.

But do they want to compete? That's the question. There's going to be a lot more of these type scenarios in the near future. I know HD had one of these products in the past, but it's a different world now, and later.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Other companies have put in bids for Ducati. Some investment firms, some bike manufacturers (Polaris, Bajaj among others). Benneton has also which is interesting.

Reportedly (asphalt & rubber) Harley was not among the bidders.

VAG will now consider the bids and pare the potential buyers down to a small number and start a second round.

Bajaj CEO claims he is close to having it done. They are sitting on $10B in cash, if he wants it badly enough I am pretty sure he can afford it.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting about CEO Rajiv Bajaj, "He introduced the Pulsar range of motorcycles credited with reviving the fortunes of the ailing company..."

Pulsar - engine capacities of 135 cc, 150 cc, 180 cc, 200 cc, 220 cc and 400 cc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajaj_Pulsar

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You know they actually have a patent on the leaning trike before Can Am launched theirs...HD wasn't interested...FWIW.

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Can-Am beat them to market and they didn't want to be seen as copying them, so they killed the project and instead now have conventional trikes of dubious handling.

11. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    With self driving cars on the horizon..bikes could be a thing of the past. Somthing to keep in mind.

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I love Ducati, have raced and ridden many of them over the years and plan to buy another one next year to keep in Italy. I have friends who work at the factory. One of my neighbours at my place in Bologna is a test rider. I wish the company the best. Please God, never let HD within a mile of the place. I love motorcycles but if HD made the only motorcycle available I would give up riding. There absolutely nothing in common culturally between Ducati and HD. No passion, no engineering, no market.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Because they're looking at partnering with Tesla instead? Seems like some literary license to me. Especially since they call HD an "automaker".

Not much is known about the deal as no details have emerged so far, but it is believed the two automakers are working on something that could have a significant impact on the industry. An electric Model M motorcycle from Tesla has yet to make it past the early stages of development, so perhaps Harley-Davidson will offer the electric car maker some assistance on how to build a top-quality bike.

http://investorplace.com/2017/07/harley-davidson-inc-hog-tesla/

16. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Apparently there some bikers in the VW works council:
    ttps://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-ducati-m-a-exclusive/exclusive-vws-1-8-billion-ducati-sale-stalls-at-union-roadblock-strategy-rift-idUSKCN1BF25D

Exclusive: VW's $1.8 billion Ducati sale stalls at union roadblock, strategy rift
    LONDON/MILAN/BERLIN (Reuters) - German carmaker Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) has put the 1.5 billion-euro ($1.8 billion) sale of Ducati motorcycles on hold after resistance from German trade unions and internal rifts on strategy, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.
    "Labour leaders at VW, who hold half the seats on the 20-member board, have strongly opposed a sale regardless of price. "

17. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I agree with you. These days you can't go a mile without seeing 30 harleys. Ten years ago, you would see them, but not in the numbers like today. Now you can buy (Not that I would) a used Harley cheaper than a riding lawnmower.