Is the Ducati 996 "classic" now?? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Is the Ducati 996 "classic" now??

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BigTex, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Great price. Granted, it's yellow and a biposto, but still a Duc!

Is a 998 worth the premium over a 996?

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    It is a classic.

3. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Yes

4. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    How did this escape commentary? Krikey that is the rare of the rare right there.

Although phrased rather confusingly. If it is an original 916/955SPA:.. then for certain it one of the 54 that were made. Where or how does your "belief" enter into the discussion?

This is a machine seldom seen for sale anywhere on the planet. This one in UK (if still avail) is 32k GBP.

Used DUCATI RED* Ducati* for Sale | South Yorkshire

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Haven't checked this thread in a while but the bike is a factory 955 SPA. My phrasing was poor. My belief was that 54 was the number made as I have heard different totals discussed in other forums.

6. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Loved my 996 yellow monoposto....unfortunately I broke it and me in half against the side of a Subaru driven by a confused new driver. Ive had several bikes and still have an RG500 Gamma....Would highly recommend the 996...do the single injector chip mod, put better pipes on it and have fun. Mine with stock guts but the mods I mentioned did 118rwhp...more than enough to kill you and it sounds incredible. The Matrix movie actually had some pretty realistic sounds for this type of machine (yeah, it was a 998 but sounds the same). I believe these will be collectible as there were some pretty cool versions produced and guys like me wreck them;)

7. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I sold both my 1992 900SS and my 1994 916 two years ago. I'm getting another 900SS, because I really miss it. It was such an easy, torque-y drive. The 916 is maybe the most beautiful sport bike ever penned, but its a killer to drive. Hurt my wrists and arms so much. The 916 Varese-built early bikes with the gold fairing fasteners are the most collectible of the series. Not the 996's.

Gordon

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #83 Kevin Rev'n, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These words are really easy to find repeated all over the internet. It is such a well rounded joy to drive. The ergos are right on the money for the sensible older rider. Not a complete joy to drive in stop and go but what fun machine is? Medium traffic to open highway it is as good as anything. Simple to work on. I sure love mine!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's a real beauty! Spectacular photography too.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #85 Kevin Rev'n, Feb 3, 2017
  11. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My first Ducati was a 95 900SS/SP. Like a knucklehead I totaled it a few months later and got a 748. Been thinking of another SP because of it being so much more comfortable than the 748 and just as beautiful, in a different way.

12. Borca

Borca Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    CT
    Full Name:
    PLM
    My first bike was a 1998 748. It was on display up here in New England back when Yankee Candle had a car museum. It was giving me some electrical problems, so I simply got fed up and traded it in for an 1100S 2009 Hypermotard. At about that time, I was personally starting to notice substantial texting while driving, and I wasn't comfortable riding anymore. But I keep a 99 Monster Cromo and the Hypermotard (178 kilometers) charged and ready in case I change my mind! But getting rid of the 748 was pure bonehead on my part. It was yellow and beautiful. Great bike, but gorgeous to look at.

13. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    Still can't believe I sold my 998R!!! :(

14. Borca

Borca Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    CT
    Full Name:
    PLM
    The lesson in selling the 748 was that I know better than to sell the 328!! I'm not making that mistake again!

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

someone who is seriously looking for a fastidiously owned and maintained 916 should stop kicking tires and buy mine.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I spotted a gorgeous 996 at GP Motorcycles in San Diego tucked in the back corner of their used cycle storage room/garage this past weekend. Less than $7k and my favorite bike they had in stock...new or used.

Here it is on their site (no affiliation): GP Motorcycles Bikes for Sale - Details

17. Brendancw

Brendancw Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    #92 Brendancw, Jul 31, 2017
    Been thinking about parting with my 2002 998 mono. I love this bike but I just don't get it out much anymore and it's a shame to see this bike just sitting in the garage. I've had many differing opinions
    on what its worth and was wonder what anyone on the thread can tell me. I'm in St Louis MO. I've got the original exhaust in a box and will likely swap it out if it sells. 6,800 miles never been on a track or dropped. Totally clean and serviced meticulously. Had it out today for a spin and it still runs like it did 15 years ago.

18. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Classic or not, these bikes are terribly uncomfortable to ride. I had one in 2003. But I do agree they are great looking machines and I believe they will appreciate as time goes on.

19. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I would ask $8k and expect to get no less than $7k.

As you know there is a distinct riding season in MO and past labor day selling for top dollar gets more difficult.

20. ferraripete

I know that bike. if you think that was nice you would really appreciate my 916. I still contemplate a sale but am too lazy to list it.

21. ferraripete

ok..ok...I have just listed my 916 on ebay. I had second thoughts but I need to start selling off some of the scoots:(

give her a look...maybe even a bid. it is an exceptional example I assure you!!!!

my seller ID is 930turbocarrera

22. ferraripete

well it has gotten to $5k after only a few hours. the auction is a 10 day auction so I guess we will see if we get additional lift before crunch time? I had hoped it would bring at east $6k based on condition but we shall see.

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You know if I wasn't turning 65 next month... :)

24. ferraripete

happy birthday in advance!!!!

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I paid $8K for my 996 example, with 900 miles on it.

I think you may regret it going for less than that!
    GLWS!

I am now scared to drive it, and have to go find parts!
    So all the mileage go on the ST3s.

The black one I flipped in Austin still has less than 1K miles...