Maserati Khamsin | Page 280 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6976 Nembo1777, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Welcome to the fold!
    So many posts over the last few days, I guess yours fell through the cracks.We are not usually so rude that we don't acknowledge :)
    What is the chassis number of your Khamsin? Pics?

Best,
    Jack.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes welcome to the fold and by the way we are just teasing Michael not trying to impose anything and it is your right to keep the bumpers of course:)

May I ask what the chassis number is and the prior history of your car? I can then let you know what information I have in my database on your car.

Some photos would be very appreciated by all:)

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Maserati Khamsin Registry

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    But they're OK on a Ghibli? Why?

I'm not a fan of wire wheels for all the technical reasons you alluded to but if people like them on a Ghibli I don't see why they can't be used on a Khamsin. Both are heavy, big, front engined GTs and not high performance sports cars.

And then there's this ...

Ferrari 365 GTB4 (1968) - Ferrari.com

:D

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob, yes I know and even GT40's initially raced with wire wheels...perhaps it was seeing a failed wheel at a test day at Brands Hatch in the late 80's look like an angry porcupine that raised my eyebrows and I have driven several daytonas including some on wires...just a feeling I have and yes perhaps irrational.
    Strangely when I raced the Ferrari Breadvan at Le Mans Classic 9 years ago I never gave the Borranis a second thought so yep irrational what can I say:)!?

Best regards,

Marc

6. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6982 Nembo1777, Aug 2, 2017
    Here is another type of Khamsin model:)
    Photo taken in Poland found online as far as I know there are two K's there.

This is AM120.276, the 3 other photos were sent to me by the owner a few years ago.

It has the non transparent back end seen on a few German delivery cars. It was in fact sold new in Germany to a Polish citizen residing there, his nephew then brought it to Warsaw many years later, he sent me some emails 10 years ago.

Best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi AMLC

AM120.172 was owned by a Frenchman in val d'Oise (NW of Paris 95 number plates) involved in the trucking trade. When he moved to southeast Poland right near the Ukrainian border he brought the car with him there so he could have the rust dealt with cheaply but he either did not have the time or did not find the right people so he just sold it. Photos below in Poland. I almost went to see it for a client, had the trip mapped out but he gave up as he found it too expensive in view of the work needed.

It never was registered in Poland but it is funny that we should be talking of the three K's known to have set foot there, all I know about the other K that lives there is that it is 198.

Nick Aaldering of the eponymous Gallery in Holland then bought 172 in late May or early June 2014.

It was immediately bought from him by a Dutch client who had it restored elsewhere very quickly...perhaps too quickly. This was not Nick's doing however. He does not restore Masers, sells them as they come. He is a true Maseratista, always a pleasure to meet him, I am not criticizing the car just stating that a buyer should look carefully to see if there is any bubbling and ask for photos of the restoration and clarification about what was done to cure the cancer.

I saw it in January of 2015 in Brummen, all freshly redone, was there to inspect another K.

Best regards,

Marc

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6985 Nembo1777, Aug 3, 2017
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  12. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Hello,
    I have just bought #393, a RHD Rosso Rubino Khamsin as a part restored project. Since it has been apart for about 25 years, it will be a challenge.
    Can someone tell me the correct specification for the road springs please, since it seems to ride very high on the ones that are fitted ?
    Also, I bought a copy of the handbook on ebay, and it came with a lot of the early history of US1174, which I am happy to pass on to the current owner.
    Thanks,
    Neil.

13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6988 Mexico074, Aug 5, 2017
    Hello Neil...

Congratulations on your Khamsin purchase and welcome to an exclusive set of K
    owners! It would be great if you could post some pictures of your car as you bought
    it, and of the progress you make..

I have attached some info I have on the springs (front and rear). I am not sure it
    will be of much help to you, but wanted you to at least get a look at it. Hopefully,
    others will provide info as well...

Mike

14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Congrats Neil, your car should look much like mine, same colour RHD #435.

A search in this thread should bring up the correct wire-diameters for the rear springs, mind that front and rear of the axle are different.
    My car has a page on facebook, look for Khamsin 435, it may be helpful in some way.

Best,
    Jack.

15. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Neil
    US1174 lives in southern Germany, Freiburg im Breisgau, you may get in contact with the owner through the Garage that has done some work for him, Garage Limacher in Horw Switzerland, [email protected] or Tel. +41 41 340 60 70.

some pics of their recent reopening after expanding their premises:

Limacher Garage AG - Willkommen bei Uns

Best regards, Roger

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6992 Nembo1777, Aug 14, 2017
    Hello AMLC,

That is the car of Gippo Salvetti hence AM120.340 of 1979 which he owns and has in his museum in northern Italy. He was one of the very first to send me info on their cars -thanks to Adolfo Orsi jr putting us in touch-when I started the MKR in 2004, a very pleasant man but I haven't met him yet.

Here a couple of shots of it. He has other Masers of that era but is most well known for his Alfa collection.

best regards,

Marc

17. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    #6993 rga, Aug 15, 2017
    Hello Marc

I found this picture of a Khamsin in, I think, Venezuela (if I can read the number plate well enough) and it was followed by a spanish text on Instarix. I guess it is of #136 while it was still there.

best regards

Roger

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Fantastico find Roger:)

136 which sat thereafter for years in a warehouse in France in awful condition and is being restored in Holland for a Swiss client, in gorgeous gold (not as good as original color but much better than resale red). I saw it last December looking good but lots of work was still ahead not sure to what stage it has gotten.

Best regards,

Marc

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Gene...

There are 2 bolts that need to be loosened to get the pump belts off.. Two hold the
    pump basically in place (Items 7 and 17 on table 6 of the K parts manual). The third
    bolt (Item 18 on table 6) should allow the pump to swing up about 1 to 2 inches in
    it's bracket.. The two that need to be loosened are 7 and 18.. 18 I was able to easily
    loosen.. It's number 7 that sits close to the frame. I can't seem to get a wrench on it
    to loosen.. I have tried to use a standard length and short length wrench, but can't
    seem to get on it.. My other option is to drain the coolant, and take out the hoses
    that are slightly above the pump, perhaps giving more working room..

I should note that bolt 17 probably doesn't need to be loosened, as it basically
    bolts the pump to the adjustment bracket, but it was easy to get to....

In the attached picture you can see bolts 17 and 18 to the right of the pulley just
    above the lower pump belt edge. Item 7 is to the left of the pulley, and a hint of it can
    be seen..

Any hints on how you loosened this one (Item 7)?????

As always, any and all help is appreciated !!!

Mike

20. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6996 Mexico074, Aug 29, 2017
  21. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6997 Mexico074, Aug 29, 2017
    Attached is an even better picture showing the bolts circled in red, with the
    item number from table 6 in white...

Sorry for the duplicate picture, but the second is a bit better as it shows the location
    of the 3 bolts...

Mike

22. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Mike it has been a long time, but I am sure i was able to use a socket and a long extension and loosen it from the front. The problem is you cannot see it so you need to do it by feel. You may need to grind the socket down to get it in there. I know I did not take off any hoses.

23. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    These photos, and above discussion are perfect as in earlier thread I have bought all the belts, and some are clearer to disassemble and replace than others.
    Has anyone had any experience with the water pump / AC belts replacements?

@ Mike, I can repost all the alternate / current part numbers for the belts if it would help?

Cheers all,
    Richard

24. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    #7000 SMarc, Aug 30, 2017