SO PISSED at NBC's TERRIBLE coverage. | FerrariChat

SO PISSED at NBC's TERRIBLE coverage.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RedNeck, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    WHY in the hell would they show a terrible wreck like that, not show Bowyer's window net and then wait almost 10 minutes to update his condition?!?!? Never been so pissed at coverage. NBC sucks in every way.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They needed time to generate fake news?

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Apparently. It's not bad enough their news coverage is BS, they had to ruin sports coverage as well. Garbage NBC

4. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I take it that Brian Williams is writing the copy? :D

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #5 BartonWorkman, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    It used to be NASCAR reported record crowds, lead changes and TV ratings.

But, it seems yesterday the only records that were broken were for the amount
    of cautions (14), paltry crowd size and the amount of time it took them to run
    400 miles.

Throw in a red flag and two "overtime greeen-white-checker" sessions so they got
    the melancholy finish they so desire. If Jr. Jr. Jr. can't win, may as well give it to
    one of his team mates.

PS: Are NASCAR's fans so stupid that the networks now need to overlay graphics
    on the screen to show them what direction the cars are going?

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/dip****-drivers-unable-to-avoid-caution-for-even-seven-1797177405

BHW

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that race encapsulated everything wrong with modern NASCAR....late start, stages, cautions, overtime, gwc, red flags...almost had to call it due to darkness.

and yes, networks assume the fans are so stupid they can't figure out which direction the cars are going.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    In light of no real racing happening Sunday, I decided to try and give the NASCAR 400 race
    at Indy a try, what the hell.

Thinking that it would start at the usual 1:00PM time slot, I went on NBC Sports live streaming
    channel. They were on the air with the usual endless pre-race hype. I swear, if they showed
    taped footage of a bunch of rednecks with their hats on backwards kissing the "Yard of Bricks"
    once, they showed it it twenty times. They kept doing this over and over and over to the point
    where I was ready to pull and "Elvis" and shoot the screen.

Off to endless commercials they go. When they get back, there is a countdown clock on
    the top left of the screen, 4 hours and sum minutes to green flag! What? So, why in the
    world did this race start after 4:00PM and why does it require four hours of pre-race hype?
    Oh, I know, when the product is weak, overhype.

Well, sure as **** wasn't going to wait around while the pre-race hype machine was in full
    overdrive. Even with the sound off, those announcers are annoying as hell.

Right about 5:00PM, decided to try and tune in again and now Comcast/NBC Sports had my
    access blocked for some reason. I don't get it, guess I never will. Then, read this morning
    that the race was a complete debacle (oh, what a surprise) and it was nearly called due to
    darkness.

Are they trying to appeal to that vast Hawaiian audience share?

BHW

8. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    I attended the first two Indy NASCAR races .... You couldn't sit down if you wanted to! Looks like NASCAR is going to have to start trucking in homeless to fill the seats because the stands are so empty. It's a sad state of affairs when in almost all forms of racing including F1 people are showing up dressed as empty seats.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I went to a few of the early Brickyards as well (remember seeing Ricky Rudd win in the Tide Ride :)). it was a harder ticket to get than the 500 for most of the 90's.

now? estimated crowd was 35k. sad.

2017 Brickyard: Attendance low for crash-filled ending

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I went to a few of the Brickyard 400's. It's a really crappy place to see a race, you end up watching it on the screen because they have bleachers on both sides of the track.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    There is a theme here - spec racing SUCKS.

Just sayin'. Never been a fan of stock cars, but man they were a lot cooler when the cars looked like cars. Same with NHRA (funny cars and pro stock look ridiculous). Same with CART (there were different chassis). Same with F1 (when there were far less aero rules).

Product blows, people won't come - it's as simple as that.

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    spec racing is bad.

contrived spec racing is 10x worse.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Words to live by...

BHW

14. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    You couldn't pay me to watch this crap - and I have close family working at a top team.

15. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

The GTLM & GTD race at Lime Rock was a good choice to watch based on the NASCAR reviews.

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    When the cars got boring they hyped the drivers....

When the drivers got boring they hyped the owners.....

When the owners got boring they hyped the crew chiefs....

When the crew chiefs got boring they hyped the spotters......

These drivers are like Stepford wives.....seriously, what a bunch of 'bots.

The only things with any character left in the sport are some of the legendary tracks....

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Nascar is past it's prime. People don't even want sedans anymore. They need to start racing SUVs.

If you think I'm joking, I'm not. All the cars look the same aside from the graphics. Think of Richard Petty's time -- they all looked like real unique cars you could actually want to own.

Who gets up all excited so they can buy a Camry?

Until the cars are more interesting and diverse, people will pay less and less attention.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that was the idea behind the truck series (stolen from a now-defunct SCCA racing series).

21. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    they need to race real cars again, we need some road runners some malibu and some fords on the track that actually look like a car on the showroom floor. win on sunday, sell on monday, not anymore, i used to go to the races all the time with teams in the pits, i won't even accept a ticket for free with a ride to and from the venue on a chopper any more... car of tomorrow is the car of the end of all things, good

22. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Now now now....don't let these facts get in the way of "contrived parity". You will have the powers that be all in a tizzy and their bloomers all in a bunch with ramblings like this!!!

As for me....I agree. As for those who follow "spec" racing...stings like a ***** doesn't it??? :D

23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #23 Jack-the-lad, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    ...and now the trucks all look the same.

Go back to 50s-60s rules: Race what you sell. No restrictions on body type, engine, drivetrain configuration, etc. You prove you built and sold X,000 of 'em, you can race 'em.

(Well, some of that is 50s-60s :))

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It just got worse:

DALE, JR., SIGNED TO MULTIYEAR DEAL WITH NBC

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This...

I mean seriously, is there anyone left actually DEFENDING NASCAR other than the France
    boys and their front office flunkies in Daytonner?

14 cautions in one 400 mile race. And, the only thing a NASCAR crony could say is "Well,
    at least we didn't have 15!".

BHW