Porsche to quit LMP1 ? | FerrariChat

Porsche to quit LMP1 ?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by greyboxer, Jul 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    IMHO ACO destroyed LMP1 category and the championship in general.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Absolutely.

The high cost of the hybrid technology prevents the private teams from competing for victory in the LMP1 category. Now the factory teams are leaving, and no one thinks of joining.

As for the LMP2 category, the ACO has turned it into a specs series by giving a quasi monopoly to 2 French chassis builders, and imposing the Nissan engine.

Also, participation at Le Mans has become a closed shop and can only be achieved if you enter one of the ACO-administrated series (ELM, ALM).

Finally, the ACO refuses to merge its costly GTE category with the FIA-Approved GT3 cheaper option.

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Most of my life I've probably thought of America as the champs of "not invented here" syndrome but the ACO have changed my thinking!

6. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    They should make a dpi in imsa! Then force ferrari to do same and then all those manufactures one day can return to lmp1 as a more relevant class that is expanded to 6+ manufactures!Ok i'm being silly but it would be cool.

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    This is the fun part of the story. They say that GTE cost more.. OMG that's absurd!

8. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Wise decision. Who is going to beat them? They are in a class by themselves. As for Formula E...get ready for a blitzkrieg! :)

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't see a blitzkrieg so long as Formula E is using spec cars with spec power generators (you can't call them engines...).

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's mostly spec with very restricted budgets.

11. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I have total faith in Porsche. They will find a way to beat the competition. They always have.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Formula E is still in its infancy.

I would expect that before long, teams will be allowed to have different chassis, different battery systems, their own electric motors, etc...

It's competition between different solutions that brings progress, and the electric car concept needs to advance.

Specs series are adopted for cost saving. With the major car manufacturers soon on board, Formula E doesn't need to follow that path.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Sad in one way, but predictable.

With its hybrid formula LMP1 category, the ACO knew that it placed the bar so high that only well-funded factory teams could participate.

But even Audi and Porsche find there is no glory to race in a restricted field.

Endurance needs to re-write its rules to allow private teams and independents to race at reasonable cost, and not within a specs series format like LMP2/3.

Recent sports cars have evolved so far away from road car, that the rule makers should also consider if they haven't gone to far in trying to emulate F1.

The success of multiple GT series should send a warning to the ACO that, although they hold the star event at Le Mans, they face huge competition.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    So what I see is Toyota will finally win Lemans since they have no competition, unless all their cars break again and an LMP2 spec car wins making Mazda and Nissan the only Japanese Lemans winners:)

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That would be a hollow victory.

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Toyota is now the sole manufacturer left to compete in LMP1 come next season, if they don’t decide to pull out too. With little or no competition left in LMP1, Le Mans could see the top category removed in favor of a more competitive field like LMP2 and GTE. BMW joins GTE soon, and LMP2 has shown significant improvement this year especially at Le Mans.

All in all, WEC will need a better enticement package in order to pull in more car makers into the GT program such as Audi, Bentley and Nissan. So far, the GT manufacturers include Aston Martin, Ford, Ferrari and Porsche.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Slow clap for the powers that be to cost LMP1 into oblivion that even the likes of Audi and Porsche stepped out, lol.

Toyota has to bow out now, too. They'll not race anyone, so that won't be a victory worth celebrating. If they do race (even with this years car), break down and still lose, that's got to be the worst bit of PR in recent history.

Take note F1. Takes just a few teams to leave and the whole thing can collapse within days...

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    in f.1 takes just one to leave..and we all know wich one!!

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    totally predictable...top level prototype sports car racing is the ultimate "boom and bust" series, going back to what, the 1960's?

21. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the problem is going to be if the France family doesn't get their head out of their asses regarding BoP. I don't see Penske, Honda or Joest hanging around if they are routinely getting trounced by a Cadillac DPi.

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Seems historically this has always been a conundrum, regardless of series or sport. Personally, I hate parity, but understand the need for it (at least in auto racing).

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's really bad in IMSA prototypes. clear favoritism. I don't see why other MFRs/teams are willing to enter that class given that.

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Out of curiosity, the BoP mods are very specific to the teams, which doesn't scale well. Since these cars are turbocharged, why not implement the pop-off valve like CART / IndyCar once had...those were decent at keeping parity.

I'm sure there's a reason, I'm just not up to speed anymore, but seemed a very easy solution to a big problem.