Ferrari to Vettel: how about $138 million? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari to Vettel: how about $138 million?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Jul 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's a separate arrangement to who pays the drivers salaries.

2. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Agree with all of this.

No loss either way, Vettel is overrated. He got thrashed the one year he had a decent teammate and his drama queen attitude is getting old and unbecoming of a Ferrari driver. I'm sure they would love to have an italian named Ricciardo winning titles even if he's australian born.

3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It's funny to see you guys talk about forcing Ferrari to give him a good car.... Like they
    are purposely giving him a bad car... they sell street cars largely based on how they
    perform on the track.
    We are adults now, but how many of us as kids saw Ferrari on the track or on TV before
    we ever saw one on the street? And now own one because of what we saw growing up.

PS - some fodder - what would any other team pay Vettel? Nowhere near 138 million.

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    'According to Autoweek'....

Maybe not correct at all, Ferrari will keep 'laggard' Kimi again because Vettel insists???

I don't think so!But then again it might be the easy option for just 1 more year.

5. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Given some of the other contract situations (at least at the moment), I could see doing another year of Kimi, three years of Vettel and then after next year, trying to grab up one of the better drivers that would (presumably or at least potentially) be coming available.

6. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Weren't some of you just recently saying in another thread that Vettel's job was in jeopardy lol, Mayor was that you?! ;)

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    :D

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep. Maybe Vettel wants 200m!

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    i would consider taking the job if ferrari pays me $140m not $138.5m

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yep, that's why Marlboro man Arrivabene got to become team manager at the Scuderia; he was placed there to look after the investment of the tobacco company.

He is in fact more a commercial manager than a sporting manager.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There are baseball and basketball players in the US that make more.

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If elton is worth 150 mill, then vettel is worth 200 easy

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Vettel is working harder for sure.

15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Even Kimi works harder!, and has less ice cream breaks!

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So Marko says he would not accept Euro 100 Million for Max ...but only paid him around $650 k in 2016?

Something doesn't add up ,even if Max is now getting say almost the same as Ricci did in 2016 $6.5 mio (a 10 X pay rise from 2016) in 2017.

Max will be out of there immediately if someone comes up with the $$$ for the contract.

I still reckon Ferrari should try to sign him ,Vettel can suck it up if he doesn't like it ....he has nowhere to go anyway. The No1/No2 driver thingy has not really worked for Ferrari since the Schumi days. They need to try something new.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In defence of Vettel, I would say that his lack of form in 2015 coincided with the introduction of the hybrid formula that requires a different style of racing, with energy saving, lift and coast, etc... Not every driver adapted to it immediately, and Vettel at RB was one of them. His team mate Ricciardo made the most of it and won 3 times that year.
    Raikkonen was another driver who struggled initially with the new technique.
    But I don't think either of them are slow now.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    True. I think Vettel wants assurances in place that Ferrari is doing the right thing with the right people to move the team forward.

He should say ''pay me 200 milion over 3 years. If you can supply me a good car over the season I'll take half''. :D

A nice thought but considering RBR won't sell max for 100m the number is stageringly more than that...
    RBR bonus structure is huge.

I've no idea what they're dangling in front of him but he'll be a very wealthy kid next year. Ferrari + Mercedes bidding war? Rest assured Max will get 20+ next season.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    2014 ;).

Vettel also came from a car which produced huge amounts of rear downforce, suddenly going to very little of it. Ricciardo came from a car with comparatively little rear downforce so that won't be a big adjustment...

On top of that, Vettel had constant car issues with things breaking during the race and driving around that problem, then he signed for Ferrari of course and gets told much fewer things regarding new parts (all understandable of course in Red Bull's case).

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    My mistake, thanks !

22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes we all know Max is sadly unavailable - but he represents much better value than Vettel, even when Vettel is in the faster Ferrari young Max won't let Vettel pass him.

Even better value is possibly Bottas. Has proven himself as quick or quicker than Hamilton on a good day and wins races.

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 Bottas would be very nice at Ferrari and would certainly keep Vettel awake and the team I think would find him pleasant to have in the garage. I dont see Mercedes letting him go but this is F1 and we are surprised many times! :)

24. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    not over 3 years.

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    No problem. You can hire Newey for a lot less than 138 MM.