Would You ? | FerrariChat

Would You ?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by possum, Jul 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Having a chat with a mate recently we are both retired,he is talking about using some of his super to buy a 360,would spend around $130000 this would still leave him with a enough money to keep him in a comfortable retirement, I don,t think he is to concerned that the share market would out strip the 360 investment but as he has said you only live once.Would be interested in your thoughts the pros and cons financially comparing super and a 360 as an investment.
    Cheers

2. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    I don't think 130k buys the correct 360... by correct i mean red on tan stick shift coupe aussie delivery with low ks full book and mint. Then you'd have something.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I was in a similar situation when I took voluntary redundancy (with a nice payout) a few years before I was able to access my superannuation. Plenty of money, stock market doing well... I bought a F355... Then the stockmarket took a dive (I lost $75,000 in Superannuation in 2 weeks). Unfortunately, about the same time, any hopes of making money on my F355 were also soon dashed.... Several expensive bits failed... and then I found bits of shrapnel in my gearbox on the first gearbox oil change (Still waiting to find out what that's going to cost me). My retirement won't be quite as comfortable as what I thought it would be, but as long as I can still drive my 355, there will still be smiles )))

From what I've read, the 360 is not going to go up in value in the near future unless you have a rare version. Too many of them (18,000?)

Ask your mate how much he would enjoy driving an exotic car on today's generally congested roads (with more and more speed humps, speed cameras and traffic lights being installed)... and will he remain fit enough to climb into these kinds of cars?

Cheers
    Q

4. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Does your mate think the stock market will out perform a vintage ferrari from an investment point of view? I guess it would but thats only if you have an imported left hand drive f1 spider..... like anything, nobody knows what the stock market will do. Another nice bonus with the Ferrari, or any other classic car for that matter is that there's no capital gains tax if you happen to make a few dollars while enjoying the ownership.

5. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    Still cheaper than buying a new 5-7 series BMW/ Audi / Merc and don't depreciate as much...

6. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The crucial question is would the guy be buying it as an investment, or as an indulgence that he can afford to lose some money on?

If the former, he's going to be pushing **** uphill no matter what version of 360 he buys.
    I say that even though I think the 360 has probably bottomed out; it's not going to do a "308" any time soon. At best it'll hold value and maybe creep up a tad, IMO.

If he wants to buy one to drive and enjoy and the financial aspect isn't important, he should just do it, and most importantly buy the one HE wants, not the one other people think he should want.

As Cyt points out, any version of 360 will lose less than a new BMW etc. over equivalent time.

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You're dead a LONG time, better enjoy life now ................ I'm kicking myself I waited so long when I already had the means

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Fixed

9. Chrispy300

Chrispy300 Karting

Jul 30, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris Paterson
    I'd do it... Even if he only keeps it a few years it wouldn't cost much. Much better than a new car as the others have noted.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Car's at Marc's workshop ... can't be in 2 places at the same time

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just as well. It means Horse took the bullet normally reserved for you :)

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Seems to me most people who buy cars hoping to make money on them lose. People who just buy the cars they love, sometimes end up with valuable things in their garage.

13. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    people with 360 CS would probably beg to differ, but for all other road-going versions the music stopped about a year ago.

14. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    True, although with the current price of CS I'd be pretty nervous if I bought one now hoping to make money.

I meant, of course, he should buy whatever colour / body style / gearbox / trim etc. will give him the most pleasure and ignore the rest.

15. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Agree with what Steve and Karen have said........Buy the car and enjoy it......Its not an investment , but it's better than the share price hitting the top of the market when you are in a box...... At least you get to drive and enjoy it....The good thing is the 360 is a little kinder on the pockets than some of the other F cars to maintain and they are great fun..

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

Even if your mate purchases a 360, drives it for 5-10 years until he longer enjoys it or physically cannot etc, then re-selling it will not really see himself out of that much money over that short amount of ownership.

A standard model 360 is definitely no investment, but who cares eh! You only live once, so tell your mate to buy one, drive it and enjoy.

Sell it to the next guy and you haven't totally wasted all of your money. It will still always be a $100K car, give or take of course.

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Absolutely! I never purchased my Ferrari in the hope that will be collectible one day or hoping it would be worth a lot of money.

I've always told my friends, even to this very day...................I am never going to sell this car.

Even if I decide to sell it for $50K one day after say 50 years of ownership, then this Ferrari hasn't really cost me very much money.

If you have the means to buy, service and repair a Ferrari, then step into a Ferrari, drive it and enjoy.

Then sell onto the next guy if it's not your thing anymore or you need the money for other investments/retirement.

18. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    If it has red carpets it will be double on resale........😜

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1 :D

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I can only imagine what people will think of them in another 30 years time. :D

21. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    there's a good reason for this, how many years since the last belt service? :p

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Don't know what you're talking about. :)

23. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    If his super totalled $131,000 and was his sole source of income, I would suggest the purchase would not be prudent. However it seems from your post that he still would have sufficient super post purchase.

Of course, with a Ferrari and no money, you may find additional income as a rent boy.

About the most conservative share investment at the moment would be CBA. It's going to return approximately $6,500 P/A fully franked on the 360 purchase price not including any tax credits if held in a super fund. The 360 will consume around $5,000 a year if driven infrequently. So at a little over $10,000 P/A, that's what it will cost in real terms. Notwithstanding movements in the ASX and/or 360 prices. Ferraris are not particularly liquid if one needs to raise cash either.

Oh, BTW, there are no Ferrari investments, just liabilities in the current market.

Just tell him to buy it. Make sure it's a good example.

24. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    +360 😎

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How old is he?

Buy a 456 unless he wants to be another old man looking too old as he holds up traffic in his sportscar ;)
    Pete