McLaren 720s up close in person | Page 3 | FerrariChat

McLaren 720s up close in person

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by tobewiser, Jul 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You're correct - after looking at the grey paint options (Storm Grey, Argon, Saros, Zenith Black, Ceramic Grey, Sarthe Grey), I believe this car is actually Argon, which has a slightly brownish hue. Saros and Sarthe have bluish/greenish hues. Ceramic, Storm, Zenith look to be more neutral, progressively dark greys.

2. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Stalk is actually on the right of the column, on the cruise control switch. Sfumato is correct....whole car lifts.

Front only lift has become de rigueur on high end sports cars for over a decade.

I'm at 600 miles now...car is as great as I expected, maybe better.

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you hit the brakes hard at 100 m.p.h. do the headlights pop out?

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney

Hey dude. Who brakes at 100?
    160 leaves retinas dripping off Ray Bans. Air brakes work

Sanjay: glad to hear car fun. I was coming up but got admitted. Hgb 6.7 inadequate for proper G loads. Better get mine soon. Color looks good. You were kind on front straight if that was you in the vid I got. I'm a bit less kind other than bedding in brakes.

Proud of the 600mi. Now I have someone to catch. Enjoy in health bro.

L

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana

5. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Get well soon my friend. What vid did you get? I ate some fast cars alive on the track straight easily. Starting to believe the 146 mph trap that TG published....

6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I tried to pull the same numbers out of the old 2006 Ford GT or come close but nothing beats modern technology.
    Where the gt on bridgestones got squirrelly from 60 to 100 if you punched it real hard, the new McLaren did it like it was on rails!
    Great car cant wait........
    gtjoey720s

7. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Funny, my FGT even with twin turbos and 1000 hp hooks fine on Bridgestones from a 60 punch. But you're comparing analog to digital. Plenty of folks out there that prefer vinyl over MP3s.

8. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Agreed, I was on bologna skins as I drove the GT FROM Daytona to the Indy 500 :)
    I haven't been this excited about a new car in awhile, should be great!
    GTJOEY1314/720S

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Do we have comps of the trunk "body per square inch" measurement ratio? The cadis should do better on that stat.

10. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    You're not getting a New FGT?

11. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    That one kid did a video in the trunk, it was funny. As for the new GT , GOD was watching over me.
    GTJOEY1314/720S

12. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    So you're getting one? Sweet. With all the GT stuff you've done you certainly deserve one.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't think he's getting one. Care to elaborate Joey?

14. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks for the comments, You miss understood, No Im not getting one and don't care to get one.
    From Ford family members to workers on the line,we have done so much over the years. I wont get in the weeds as others have about the New GT.
    Im just so happy the new McLaren has come out.
    Its the future, the cutting edge and the real deal.
    Very excited.
    GTJOEY1314

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So what you meant was you're fortunate to not have spent half a million on a car that will be inferior performance and comfort wise to the 720S ;) more or less?

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ha ha. Whether or not he meant that, it is the truth.

17. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The big guy is always watching me, Something happened today , you will all hear about it soon......
    All I can say is The McLaren 720s is the real deal.....

18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    My dealer gave me some stats from magazines and bulletins for this new book
    0 to 124 in 7.8 seconds omg

19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    So that's why nobody actually DRIVES their Ferrari....got the bonnet up admiring their cool engine. Makes sense.

20. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    :D :D

Or Ferrari owners get to open up their engine hoods and go "Wow.. so that's what broke".

21. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #71 Sfumato, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    FIFY.
    Staring at an engine or static revving does nothing. It shoving you as hard as possible is point. Looking under the hood of my GT3 RS was like looking at compressor of my hvac at home. Nothing to see. One of the most involving cars I’ve owned, and idgaf what I see. The Speciale had great visibility of engine and the extra CF. None of it made it faster. Just engine which looks like many lesser F v8s.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Software people like Macs

Hardware people like Ferrari.

23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Car geeks just like cars. Macs Ferrari Porsche. Yes please.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, not quite

Mac people think an engine is "a lump". Its sole purpose is to make the machine go fast. Hide it. Its more "efficient".

Ferrari people think the engine is "a jewel". Its sole purpose is to add excitement to ownership. Show it. It's "a work of art".

25. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Bob, ya really can’t see much of 4C motor.
    I’ve had lots of Ferrari’s. Never considered weeping Webers jewelry, but I respect how hard they run.

Mac motor actually is a Ricardo motor designed for a McLaren/ Nissan LeMans effort. Started at about 3L and 500-550ps. Did reasonably,chassis of 390 was a bit of a let down.
    Not used again iirc until 12C, and has been developed far beyond an LM motor. I am a bit disappointed the 720 hides it, it’s a cool motor, and Ricardo is up there with Colombo amongst engine designers.

I like to see engines, but it’s not a must. It’s sole purpose IS to make it go fast. If it is hard to see because the cf cage is in the way and it’s moved down and forward for handling? Ok. If it had steel and aluminum frame, you can open that wherever. I’m happy to give up 400# of road hugging weight and not see engine.

Ferrari aims squarely at jewelry lovers. Honest to god, a “Handling package” on its entry level car? WTF. And HGTE et al on 12’s? We should be able to walk in and have all that standard. As any exotic should. Customer can ugly it up as much as they want with paint, non functional carbon, 800$ homelink/ heated mirrors, and sticky effing buttons (btw, no other exotics seem to do that).

720 (and 4C) have brought CF tubs to production cars. Not a lot of engine seen. But damn, that chassis. Rear window serves to see what we’ve left in dust, and pretty minimal blind spots in 720. I had the demo up here for a few days and saved myself from Radar immolation because no blind spots.

Not anodyne. More “are you gonna bark all day little doggie, or are you gonna bite?” Need more than good credit to drive this.

Had to mess with you Bob. CF tub/cage is the way forward.