F430 Battery replacement | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F430 Battery replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by cyw0rx, Mar 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    I think I've just developed the same issue- where did you get the switch replacement?

Thanks!

2. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Does the stock vent tube work with this one or does it require an Interstate kit?

David

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- AGM batteries do not require a vent hose or kit. In theory, they can be mounted upside down and still work fine.

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #79 whatheheck, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Terry is correct, no vent hose needed on an AGM type battery.

The nice thing about an AGM is it is a SEALED BATTERY. No vent tube needed and it eliminates the possibility of acid on a wet cell battery leaking & eating metal.

See attached photo. On my 360 Spider, the MTP-91 wet cell battery leaked and ate the battery metal tray!

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks.

David

6. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    I ordered it from Ricambi. Pretty inexpensive part, which was a nice surprise given the cost of most things Ferrari!!!

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Update:

The battery of my new 2006 F430 is almost 4 years old so time to replace it preventively before the car starts to give me all kinds of electrical issues.

Lucky for me, they have an Interstate Battery dealer 5 miles from my house so I went there today during lunch.

I told them on my 360 Spider I had an MTP-91 battery that leaked and ate the bottom of my battery tray. I asked them to find me an AGM equivalent.

Sure enough, just like 06F430Spider said = the dealer said Yep, you need MT7-48/H6 so I purchased one. Cost is $285.00 with a 4-year warranty. Its currently hooked up to my battery charger getting fully charged ready when my F430 arrives so I can do an easy swap out.

Dan

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, if you put in an MTP-91 without a vent tube, it will eat some of the nearby parts and paint, like any other conventional lead-acid battery. But then, they do not make the old 85 month MTP-91 now.

9. jjrho

jjrho Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    Redlands, CA
    Full Name:
    james R
    so, does anyone have a recommendation for lithium batt of 34R size ???
    optima batt are ok… i've had em on mx cars.. will NEVER buy regular lead acid batteries again….too many cases of metal melting due to leaks….
    AGM batts are great…it doesn't have to be an optima….
    but if lithium ion batt prices came down to $300s, I'd be all for it… i get em for my motorcycles and they are great…. the weight different is significant…. just have to have a special charger for them…. smart chargers that sometimes are proprietary to the battery…. at least with the motor cycle Li. batteries…

james R
    08 f430

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Special charger? How about a special alternator and voltage regulator for a lithium battery? Not sure we know enough yet. Braille sells them, but not for $300.

11. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    I got the Anti Gravity RS-20. I like the ReStart feature.

12. jjrho

jjrho Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    Redlands, CA
    Full Name:
    james R
    well, I meant the maintainance/trickle charger.... for li batt are a lot of times specific for the brand...

as to alt/regulator, I dont' think so cause on motorcycles and other cars here, we are able to replace the lead acid batts with lithium and they charge and function fine with existing car system....

but I'm sure it's not ideal... I know what you mean, given the specific characteristics of a LiIon chemistry.....

I think they should be able to get a car batt for $300 to $350 price point soon... then I'm all in....

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I bought a yellow optima for 360 that lasted only 3 years. Left my Wifi OBD plugged in and drained battery. It Never recovered. Priced an interstate "matrix" was 200+ bucks.

Found a lithium ion battery online and got $50 additional discount for Memorial Day or something. Still cost 400+. Weighs 4 lbs. bought a trickle charger that does Li-ion or lead acid for $50 bucks. I have no regrets. Should outlast lead acid x2. Also never have to worry about draining as this battery has a cut off circuit. If battery drains a specified amount it cuts off power and just need to press the reset button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jjrho

jjrho Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    Redlands, CA
    Full Name:
    james R
    wow, can you post what specific Li batt you put in ? charger unit, etc....

I have used optima and they are better in terms of no leak but still HEAVY af....

james R

15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  16. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

And mine did t tolerate going flat

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Optimas continue to have problems. Funny thing is, one big advantage of an AGM battery is the ability to be deep discharged without degrading the battery. Except, apparently, for Optimas. Not the same company since Johnson Controls bought them and moved production to Mexico.

18. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

I didn't know they were bought out and moved. I had a red top optima in my wife's suburban from ~2006-2016, and never a problem including going flat a couple of times. I was really disappointed by the yellow top. Funny it was like a few months past the warranty.

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I just dont feel comfortable or trusting Lithium Ion batteries yet.

I work for Boeing. You can do a Google search on what happened to the 787 airplane.
    Like Taz said, these type of batteries are very sensitive to proper charging and if not charged properly can overheat and start a fire.

I know a guy that purchased a Lithium Ion Battery for his BMW E39 M5. I bought one too. I noticed mine gets hot when being charged and Im not OK with it so I returned mine. The other guy? His car burned inside his garage.

So if you choose LI battery - just be very careful with it and ensure the charger is built solidly and designed specifically to charge LI batteries.

My 2.5 cents.
    Dan

20. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Are you talking about trickle charging or fast charging?

21. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Dan thanks, and I appreciate your input.

Yea I was, and still am, worried about this. After all Ferrari's don't need anything increasing the likelihood of spontaneous combustion!

My charger is specifically designed for li-ion batteries.

22. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    #97 360+Volt=Prius, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Also the typical laptop I believe has cathode of lithium cobalt which is much more likely to have a thermal runaway causing a fire. Antigravity batteries have a lithium iron (notice the "r") phosphate cathode, which is much more stable and resistant to thermal runaway.

Dan, any details on the boing 787 battery cathode material. And what kind of battery did u have that got hot, and under what circumstances (charging, driving car).

What was your friend's circumstances when the battery caught fire?

I'd love to know.

Thanks -ray

23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Google to rescue... not exactly a replacement for a Boeing engineer.

Took a while to find the details but appears 787 batteries were Li-cobalt!

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent! Glad to hear your charger is specifically designed for LiIon batteries. You should be just fine.

I only caution people because I care about everyone's safety.

Dan

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Ray,

My understanding is it was a combination of a few things:

1) Internals of the battery failure.
    2) Charger didnt do its job properly.
    3) Enclosed battery compartment also contributed.

I dont want to get in trouble so Im keeping the info I know at a very high level.
    Hope you understand.

Enjoy your nice car!

Dan