1977 308 GTB - best upgrade for the $ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1977 308 GTB - best upgrade for the $

Discussion in '308/328' started by JotaGarrido, Jul 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This was even written about in the first road test in either C&D or R&T (they both came out at the same time in Aug 83). I don't remember which mentioned it now but they were quick to point out to just forget the idea because of the oil passages.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have been told the correct hp on a new 2Vi US car was more like 180 hp

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Find a 328 motor and carb it.

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Just to add a little more, it depends on if you are measuring HP at the flywheel or at the rear wheels and even then which type of dyno you are using.

I doubt seriously if ANY 308 had more than 195-200 at the wheels without some rather serious work done.

PDG

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Upgrades for safety and reliability such as new fuel and cooling lines, making sure all electrics are fully sorted and functional are a great investment to ensure the car remains in existence. Valve train upgrade to euro specs and throwing out sodium valves falls along the same line. After that, complete your car from an originality perspective...tools, manuals, wheels, etc. After that, do what makes you happy...just keep original parts. To me, the former would be examples of "investment" upgrades to consider.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The issues with the published hp was common for the time. It wasn't just Ferrari. Nothing anyone did was "illegal" (for lack of a better word) it was just a number generated in a way that was not possible for the engine to reach sitting in the car with everything hooked up.

I don't recall what the manufactures were doing to arrive at a particular number but the Feds (or someone) put a stop to it. However it was done then isn't being done now.

So that published 205 hp for the 308's 80-82 was optimistic - in real world settings - by about 15-25 hp, somewhere in that neighborhood and Ferrari was well aware of it.

And I am sure that 180 or whatever was not at the wheel

7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

On my '77 GTB, one of the best upgrades was the radiator. I have one of FerrariPilot's big racing style radiators. You can drive this car in a parade in the middle of summer in Florida with no problem.

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    :D

9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    You must have unusually effective AC. :)

10. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think there is probably a big difference between investment and upgrade. Best investment is to keep it as close to stock as possible. Best upgrade-turbo if you want to make some serious power.

Good luck.

11. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

I need to do this eventually as well. Maybe after I retire (in a year)!!!

PDG