Water Pump belt Snapped | FerrariChat

Water Pump belt Snapped

Discussion in '308/328' started by TheGeeMan, Jul 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheGeeMan

TheGeeMan Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Montreal , Canada
    Full Name:
    Eddy
    My water pump belt snapped, Replacement seems to look pretty straight forward and simple however I may be wrong, If anyone can chime in, if there as a special procedure to follow..... Thanks in advance....

Eddy

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Do you have a single belt on the water pump and alt?

If so, this may be a nagging problem for you from time to time. It was an odd problem that Ferrari corrected with a TSB and a "kit" back in Dec 83.

Unless you can figure out a way to go to a two belt set up, there is no solution besides luck.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would also check the pump and alternator as well, ensure they are turning freely ... what caused the snapped belt? tensioner as well.

$500 - $600 for rebuilt pump, Alt, usually is pretty bullet proof... $75 for bearings etc... its one of those while you're in there jobs!

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Around two out of three snapped belts are caused by a seized waterpump.
    How does the belt look like? Did it melt?

Normally these belts do not snap, but keep up till the day, when they are so much worn, that the belt-V touches the ground of the pulley and is no more rentensionable.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

5. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I had the single be set up and broke it twice because I did not have the tension correct. Once I got the third one correct I had ni more problems.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This was a problem enough back in the day that Ferrari finally swapped to a two belt set up around late 84 to early 85 model years.

I'll post the TSB later today.

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #8 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's the first time I have ever seen an accessories belt cover. Is that a real part? Does anybody have one on their car? Is it plastic or fiberglass?

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I didn't install it on my car when I sourced the kit to upgrade from a single belt. That was back in about 05 and I don't recall the details but I remember thinking "screw this part"

I think it's in a box in the garage.

11. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    I snapped my water pump belt on a highway drive home when an accidentally incorrectly routed relief line ended up resting on the pulley and wore it through. Not hard to replace. I agree it's a good time to also check the pulleys for bearing wear and any observable concentricity (wobble) issues.

12. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did any production 308 come with a cover? Or did the cover only come with the kit?

13. bvdp

bvdp Karting

May 30, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart vdp
    I know it is an old thread. Is the kit mentioned above (pn 9512001) still available somewhere/somehow? Is an other upgrade existing from a single to double belt?

Regards, Bart

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Unfortunately, no.

My "kit" (for lack of a better word) was assembled from a couple of salvaged cars and a fantastic effort to source it all on Brian's part at T Rutlands.

If you are even moderately serious about doing this I would call him and ask if he can source out the same for you. (Rutland's in Atlanta, not the west coast)

15. bvdp

bvdp Karting

May 30, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart vdp
    Fine.Thank you for the info. I have send a message to them.
    Does anyone has an idea why it was only available in North America?

Bart

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Good question. It probably wasn't, though.

The reference to it's availability from FNA is probably only because that book is for us here. I'm sure the German version etc, mentions a different source.

But this is just a guess. Good luck with your project.

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #17 Steve Magnusson, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Not sure that that documentation proves the kit was only available in North America per Tommy's point, but could see how the NA version cars might be more sensitive to this problem - higher underbonnet temperatures due to the emission equipment and a few more electrical bits to run, plus they jacked the alternator up. Don't quote me on this as I don't have access to the references, but IIRC, the design history was something like:

Original design: 55A alternator (and US emission system used just a tad more current) = worked well on all versions.
    When they went to the 2Vi (and a fuel pump running at ~10A): stepped it up to a 65A alternator (and the US emission system still just used a tad more current) = still worked OK, but maybe a little trouble rarely on some cars (and this covers all euro version as they never did "with Lambda" systems).
    When they updated the '84-'85 US to "with Lambda": stepped the alternator up again to 80A (and maybe reduced the alt pulley diameter?) = more widespread trouble necessitating the kit.

18. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have an 83qv. I had a few issues with the belt. Mine is both the alternator and water pump belt. One belt. My found cure is to tighten it a lot. I used wood shims against the alternator, I believe, to make it supremely tight. Way tighter than I would think. It seems wrong to me, but it has held. My 2 cents.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That can be a bit harsh on the wp and alt bearings.

Besides, you are treating the symptoms not the problem.

20. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I wonder if tightening with the wood shims actually puts stress on the bearings. I have no lift so I'm working on the ground through the wheel well. I did describe tightening A LOT! But I wonder if the tension is as great as I perceive.

If I do not tighten the belt with the wood shims, it will most definitely toss the belt. I've gone through a few. And there's the nightmare of getting stuck. I believe there's stress on the bearings, but I wonder how much in reality. We have no science here, just opinions.

Does the tension true up the pulley alignment? It's a questionable set up either way.

I hated scraping the melted belt remnants off the pulleys. WAAAAH!

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    If you have to scrap melted remnants off the pulleys, you most likely have other problems than just too little belt tension.
    I tension my w/p and alternator belt as little as possible. There's not the slightest problem, except sometimes after parking in the rain or after a car wash, it squeals for one second.
    The belt is now ten years old and is looking great.

Best
    Martin

22. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not metal remnants. Rubber. I'll search me drive for a pic.

23. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
  24. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Water pump is absolutely not the issue. Please believe me. I did the belt service. Water pump is free spinning and zero bearing issue.

I'm just putting this out there coz, it worked for me. These cars are very different from car to car.

My method has worked. I'm just trying to put it out there.

I'm very open to opinions! Flame on!

25. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm certainly not an expert! I experimentate. Yes, experimentate. Feel free to use the word. Yinz will!