FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2017: RACE DAY *** SPOILERS *** | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2017: RACE DAY *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    You do realise that all the drivers are on the radio constantly throughout the race? They are always going on about other drivers. The FIA media centre gets all the radio traffic and selects what it puts out to air.

Vettel is obviously concentrating on victory. I think it's good that he isn't maxed out just trying to drive the car, but has spare capacity to look for other ways to boost his race tactical awareness or find an edge vs his opponents. That's good race craft.

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I'have heard that Haas used the new Ferrari engine, this would explain why they were so fast, can anyone confirm this? It would make sense to me, to test it in race in the "b" team before using it in the scuderia

3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    Vettel learned from Schumacher. To have that spare capacity while driving at vmax is rare though.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Finding the sweet spot

Grosjean says the upturn in Haas’s fortunes this weekend was due to getting the car into the correct performance windows, it terms of tyres and downforce.

“There are a few things we need to improve but when we get the tyres to work and the right downforce level and the right drag level we are very competitive,” he said.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosjean-haas-won-formula-1-grand-prix-2-in-austria-928697/

however...one is on the way for Silverstone

Ferrari and Mercedes set up

New engines in Silverstone

Renault has already done so. All teams with Renault engines got their third drive unit in Spielberg. Ferrari customer HaasF1. The two World Cup opponents will be upgraded to Silverstone.

The engine report by FIA technical commissioner Jo Bauer included several pages. In the ninth of 21 races, the quota of engine components is already reaching the critical limit in many places. The McLaren Honda pilots have already collected the first pit stops. In the Renault camp, there will be penalties in the second season. At Ferrari one is at the limit with the turbochargers. In the plan are only Mercedes and his two customer teams Force India and Williams.

At GP Austria, Renault launched its third combustion engine. It is not an upgrade for more power, but to ensure reliability. Renault hopes to solve his problems with the engine blocks, the cylinder liners and the MGU-H. "And that can be the basis for the fact that we are able to exploit the potential of the engine better and get more performance with optimized engine performance," hopes Sportchef Cyril Abiteboul. The fourth engine, which is ignited in the last season of the Saisond, will be a real power upgrade.

Ferrari's new engine has more quali-power

Ferrari has first tried his Spec2 engine in the HaasF1 chassis. Thus, Maranello can test the removal stage without risk. In the qualification mode, it should bring more performance in a two-digit range. GPS measurements suggest 10 to 15 hp. The workforce is looking after the use of the new engine in Silverstone. Just in time for the half season. This makes Ferrari at least safe with the combustion engine.

Mercedes will also be upgraded to Silverstone. In camp the world champions are covered, which is to be expected from the third propulsion unit. After engine number 2 was brought to the pool mainly for clearing out weak points and improving the reliability, now more power would be needed. In response to Ferrari's power spray.

Honda will again have two Spec3 engines in Silverstone with a modified MGU-H. Whether Fernando Alonso is actually using the expansion stage is decided on the spot. "It could be a punishment. We have to discuss this in Silverstone, "says Motorschef Yusuke Hasegawa.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/ferrari-und-mercedes-neue-v6-motoren-silverstone-12204445.html&prev=search

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Awe poor baby.

20 pts is nothing

6. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's always the same... if you like Hamilton... you see everything he does in a positive way... hate him? Everything he does/says makes him a d*ck. Same is true for Vettel and Alonso. Great drivers should polarize the fans... that's the nature of competition.

I keep reading about how Seb "didn't admit to dangerous driving" last GP. Maybe he didn't think bumping the wheel at 20mph was very dangerous. To be honest it wasn't. Stupid maybe, but not dangerous.

I thought Bottas jumped too. It looked plainly obvious to me, but if they say it was within the rules, then so be it. I think it's natural for Seb to wonder. For those who say he just needs to ignore all that is kinda silly considering the strategy that's involved in every single race. I also don't get why everyone rides these guys for being down or pissed when they don't win. Do you not understand how competitive these guys are? They should be pissed. it's the exact reason Seb acted the way he did last race. I'm okay with Seb or Lewis or anyone getting pissed about losing or reacting to things they perceive. Lewis, actually commented on this very thing. I"m sure the people who hate him will say he's a baby and all that, but I get where he's coming from.

Hamilton explains post-race 'unhappiness' | PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    LH starts in with the woe is me crap the second something doesnt go his way

8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #259 jgonzalesm6, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #261 jgonzalesm6, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 always.

He is by far the sorriest excuse for a man when **** doesn't go his way. Almost all others take it on the chin.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As usual, a plus one for you :)

13. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    #264 CSM0TION, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    I have a .246. LOL I'm not going to get anything done the rest of the day!

EDIT: Just got a .034! I should be a F1 driver, may better than Kvyatt.

14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I got a .30 anticipating it. Took my 10 jump starts to do it lol

Best when actually reacting was .202

15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks brother! Learned from the master!

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My very best was a .012, but that was ''cheating''.

When actually reacting had a .166 and a few .18X

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D

18. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    I would venture to say that having a weekend without skidding into the gravel with the rear tires locked (or unlocked) would inspire the confidence.

Congratulations to Haas for having brakes.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Lewis is cracking. The guy has "issues". I think he's more upset that Bottas took the pole and won the race than the 20 points he's behind.

“I think it’s important for people who are watching, and also people who are reporting, to have patience with us drivers,” Hamilton later explained.

“You can’t be happy when you don’t have a result. You sacrifice everything to get the best result possible.

“When you personally don’t deliver and when things stack up against you, it’s hard to come out smiling.

“That would mean you don’t care enough. The fact is, I care.”

He added: “There are some days that are more painful than others, and there are some days that are easier.

“When you write stories or people comment, please just bear that in mind. It’s not a sign I am ungrateful or anything like that.

“It’s just the intensity of the battle, which I am loving, and the team are loving. But I want to win this championship.

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #271 4th_gear, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    As usual, after the incidents and "FIA regulations" receive full treatment by the Public, more facts become clear. If anyone else cares, I think these two YouTube videos bring out the relevant points.

In the first video Bottas admits he successfully anticipated the start. His statement "...you know more or less the zone when it is going to be off and you are so alert at that point and you are gambling between your reaction and guessing..." is clear admission that he anticipated.

However, FIA does not address Bottas's race start anticipation and just said clutch adjustment movement is OK... ostensibly to sidetrack the discussion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_oU7xhZnU8]Formula World video[/ame]

The next video shows Bottas moving as the lights dimmed, confirming Bottas's admission that he anticipated and the video's author Chazzahd points out the FIA rules do not allow drivers to anticipate the start.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDpfBhA2lc]Chazzahd video[/ame]

So why didn't the FIA enforce its rule against drivers anticipating the race start?

The FIA either lied or is totally incompetent - you take you pick. It ignored its own rule against drivers anticipating the start. This is the kind of nonsense that will not only aggravate drivers and race teams but also put the fans and audiences off. Nobody likes to watch "fixed" sports events or a chaotic circus run by incompetent organizers.

...and BTW, I believe the 0.201 sec reaction time was the sensor reading off the car, not off Bottas's brain reaction to seeing the red lights go out. How much time does it take for Bottas to move his fingers to respond to his brain and for the car to register the clutch release? Bottas's brain essentially decided to release the clutch before the lights went out.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The FIA has had a system in place to manage this for 20 yrs and teams agee'd to it. They have the data to assess it. Non issue. He had essentially a perfect start and no further action warranted.

Using the same data Vettel was slower at the start in terms of reaction. Move on. Vettel was never going to pass Bottas at the start. Period.

Even Brit press are smart enough to understand ----

-Getting A Jump On-
    The naked eye suggested Valtteri Bottas was a bit too quick out of the blocks at Spielberg, but his reaction time was 0.2s while Sebastian Vettel, he who was first to scream blue murder after the start, took 0.369s to get going. Not much in it and it was an easy decision for the stewards to make after they checked the data, but it took them 26 laps to finally make up their minds. Their reaction time is not good enough, unfortunately.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The FIA needs to go to LED lights for the start. LED's go immediately out instead of fading off like incandescents.

Asking a guy to wait until they "fade off completely" is ridiculous.

23. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    He had a perfect start for the 'system'. In reality he lucked out big time. Had the lights switched over .5 of a second later he would have had some explaining to do why he is already half way down the straight.
    A non-story, yes. Vettel had no immense start anyways, yes. But to me Bottas' start was the moment of luck of the season.

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He has been looking at all the ways to improve. He launched in Sochi as well. This has alot to do with attitude and training as well. Lets not just say he was lucky. He is looking for every advantage to win. He says none of the paddock chat others put out later. He just gets it done.

Even Lauda gets it. They have sensors on the ground to watch for jumps. Im not about to put down a perfect or almost perfect start. Thats what we want to see. Superb performance and racing.

Part of winning is making the best of the system presented to you. Every driver knows this. Maybe they should work a bit harder and not complain on the radio LOL :)

Niki Lauda - Valtteri Bottas saved Mercedes in Austria