Dubai type road in the USA? | FerrariChat

Dubai type road in the USA?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dantm, Feb 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Hello,

Can anybody think of a location where the road(s) are similar to what downtown Dubai is like?

For those who don't know this one shows it well - very long straight road with many lanes, highway speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQAZgBhYnsc

Thanks

2. autodrome

autodrome Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Ohhh. Amazing. Is it really?

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Salt Lake City has roads in it's downtown that are very wide like that, but there're so many stop lights you'd never be able to get anywhere close to those speeds.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand. What's so unique about that? It's a highway that runs through the center of downtown...I guess it's not elevated or curved if that's what you mean. I-10/Katy Freeway in Texas is probably what you're looking for.

a. g likes this.
  5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good luck with that except at 3am. And it'll still be high traffic. :D

6. jenny_rechard

jenny_rechard Rookie

Jul 18, 2017
    Melbourne
    Dubai's road is very amazing because of their proper infrastructure development & hire top quality resources worldwide.

7. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Believe me, this was my daily route to work for 4 years and you don't get to those speeds on that piece of road normally either.

That's Sheik Zayed Road, the main arterial highway between Abu Dhabi and Dubai, this is the Business Bay end of the road, near the World Trade Centre and parallel to The Dubai Mall - stationary queues here at any time of the day are not unusual, I've sat in traffic in this area at 4am before now, simply because there's so many badly designed junctions in this area that joining / leaving the road is a nightmare and so traffic builds up.

A great piece of road for sure, and very atmospheric driving down it, roof down in the middle of the night, but a fast highway it is not!