educated opinions please - Trade in my 458 for a 488 spider? | FerrariChat

educated opinions please - Trade in my 458 for a 488 spider?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NETbilling, Jul 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NETbilling

NETbilling Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I hope y'all had a nice 4th. I was hoping for some advice. I have a 2013 458 coupe which I love but was thinking to upgrade to a 488 spider. I can only keep one Ferrari at a time so I thought I would trade up. What do you think of each, future value and the 150k price difference (approximate)? Would it be better to order one or pickup a used 2016 or 17 if I find the config that I want? Also, I gotta stay with red, right?

Thanks ahead of tine for all of your wisdom.

Thanks, Mitch

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The value questions are impossible to predict.

As for the colour, only you can decide whether red or otherwise.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #3 toggie, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have thought about the same upgrade for my 2011 458.

I like the idea of more horsepower and the different experience of a turbocharged car vs. a naturally aspirated one.

Problem is, I love the look of my 458 slightly more than the 488's.
    The main differences to me being the nose, side scoops, and rear taillights.

I decided to not be in such a hurry and wait for the successor to the 488 which should be out in a couple of years.

Here are some 458 488 side-by-side comparison pictures I found on the web.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    So far I actually prefer the look of the 458 to the 488. The power difference may make a difference on how you use it.

I haven't driven or ridden in either to date, so admittedly I am writing from that perspective.

PDG

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This is really an "only you" kind of question. You have to make a list of the pros and cons of each car and then decide if its worth it.

I have huge respect for the 488. The look has grown on me and they drive really fantastic. However, I just can't let go my my 458, I love the whole NA sound and response thing. But the 488 rightly feels a generation further on in development. I know I would miss my 458. The question here- would you?

6. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

458 looks a little bland by comparison to the 488 - I'm moving mine on.

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Yep, kind of agree.
    But the 458 might be viewed years later as the more classic beauty.

It reminds me of when the 430 came out and the comparisons to the smoother looking 360 it replaced.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Hi Mitch,

For me... I can't see paying 150k to go to a 488 spider. Thats just me.

IF it were me... Id take about 150k and buy a 599 or maybe a 550.

IF it were me and I wanted a convertible... I'd attempt to stretch my budget and get a lightly used california T.

All the while keeping my 458.

Perhaps you don't have the space though.

9. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    There couple of things you should consider. Production of the 488 is significantly higher in comparison to 458. In addition, while 488 is gorgeous, in my humble opinion ......and I own a 458 spider, it is a turbo......and before all the turbo fanatics get on my case, it will most likely always remain a shadow of a 458. Btw.....I have at most respect to turbo cars ....the F40, 911 for starters :)
    The 488 is faster with better handling, non of which you would be able to feel unless you are a qualified driver who takes cars to a racetrack. Since the next generation will most like be a hybrid, it will place the 488 between the NA and hybrid generations. Taking the increased production in consideration, 488 may end up trading below 458 after all. However, Ferarri is meant to give joy, therefore value should not be your key focus. To me keeping Speciale or a Scuderia in the garage undriven to maintain value, should be a punishable offense :)
    The color......your car should represent you, therefore there is no right or wrong color. Red is now down to 35% on new orders placed with black and yellow getting more popular. However, build or buy a car that resembles you. The only suggestion is to get racing seats as neither a 458 or 488 are luxury sedans with heated seats :)

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I've always thought that from the windshield forward, the 458 was much prettier, but from the windshield back, the 488 is near perfection. Splice the two together (with maybe a few tweaks to make it cohesive) and I think we'd have one of the best looking cars ever produced.

Mark

11. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    Here is a write up a did a wile back on the two cars...................

I thought I would share my thoughts on driving the Ferrari 458 and 488 on the track. I went out to Exotic racing in Las Vegas because I wanted to add another Exotic to my garage I have a Scuderia and have absolutely loved the performance, sound, and overall emotion it delivers to the pilot. With my next exotic, I was looking for something that was a bit more comfortable with more performance than the Scuderia. I wanted something with some newer attractive exotic styling. If possible i wanted something that would retain or go up in value like the Scud. My choices where between the Ferrari 458, the 488 and the Lamborghini Adventador.

When I arrived at the track I was 90% sure I was going to buy the Adventador. By the end of day, I had decided on something completely different. To keep the story short and not get to much into why not the Adventador, Ill just say the Adventador sucks on a track and was not a real blast to drive. Yes it looks bad azz and sounds insane, If I where single, I would have one in the garage. Other than looking and sounding good, it is not the drivers car. So the real choice for me was between these two sweet F Cars.

I jumped into the 458 and began laying down some laps. I was really impressed with the performance increase of the 458 over the Scuderia. It was quite a bit faster and was much more comfortable. The suspension and steering was very smooth. The double clutch made the shifting much smoother, and was still pretty dang fast. The 9000 RPM sure is a blast to get up to as you go through the gears. The exhaust and sound of the 458 is quite pleasing to the senses. Its not the Indy car sound of the Scuderia, but it sure sounds Damnnnnn Good. I will mention, this 458 had straight pipes which increased the sound quite a bit over stock. All in all, the 458 was a blast to drive and a big improvement over the Scuderia in performance and comfort, if those two can even go in the same sentence hehehe. Seriously, it was so fun, I could have ended my day there and would have been satisfied. As far as track time, I laid down a fast lap of 57:43

I then hopped into the 488. I have a Cayanne Turbo S and I really hate the Turbo Lag of that thing. I did not know what to expect from the turbos of the 488, but I was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't lag to much. I pulled onto the straight and it took all of a few seconds before I started laughing and grinning ear to ear. Gosh dang those turbos where awesome, When that 488 spooled up it pulled like a raped ape. I found myself getting up to the rev limiter very fast. There is so much torque from this motor that you can almost go around the track in 1 gear lol. You will see in the video, that I am having so much fun in the car. I was driving VERY cautiously and held back quite a bit. I didnt want to loop the car around my first time out so I was a little smoother. You notice that I went full out in the 458 and was very comfortable in it as it felt a bit like the Scuderia in the way if gave feedback through the steering wheel and through the sound. But this 488 was something new and different from what I was use to. Ive heard people talk about how cars feel like they drive themselves. I totally get what they mean now. The 488 is so easy to drive. Just look and steer where you want to go and it just tracks and follows. It never felt like it was getting close to breaking loose, it just gripped and pulled with enormous power. It was so so fun to drive, the sound of it was just awesome I know people dont like the sound, but it sounds pretty damn good to me. This car was by far leaps ahead of the others in overall performance. I had immediately fallen in love with the 488. I think you can tell from the video that I thoroughly enjoyed the 488 over anything else. As far as track performance goes, even with my timid driving, I was almost 3 seconds faster in the 488 with a fast lap of 55:06

I was so impressed that I went right back home and ordered a 488 Spider from Newport Ferrari. 5 months later, that bad boy arrived and I have not had a second thought of any other car.

I had wandered what the 488 would feel like if I where not to hold back and be as timid on a track. I have since taken the 488 on another track (Thermal in So Cal), and got a chance to drive it like I stole it. No matter how hard I pushed it, it just kept asking for more. This car is an absolute beast on the track. The stock exhaust sounds freakin awesome and I just cant get over the sweet sounds of the turbos. I dont care how loud the 458 is, it will never have the turbine howl of the 488's blowers. For me, thats the icing on the cake with the 488. The torque sensation pressing you into the seat as you bang through the gears and the sweet sound of those turbos spooling is music to my ears. In the spider, you can roll the rear window down and the orchestra of the exhaust and turbos is right next to your ears for one heck of an immersed driving experience.

I thought that when I want to hear the high pitch of an Indy car sounding Ferrari, that I will just take the Scud out. I can honestly say that the Scud is collecting dust and I have no desire to drive it over the 488. I took the 488 out at 3 am the other night to run up to my office. I didnt really need to go but I couldnt ressit the thought of an open freeway at 3am. Im not sure what top speed is, but I can tell you the 488 Spider will do at least 183 :) I look forward to getting into this car all the time. Its not because it just a new bad azz car. It is because the 488 delivers so many different emotions when your behind the wheel. The Scud sounds amazing as does the 458. But sound alone can not make up for all the other aspects the 488 surpasses them in. Before my 488 Spider arrived, I thought I would always keep the Scud as a collectors piece and it was my first Ferrari. After having my 488 for a couple weeks, I am already thinking of just selling the Scud as I just dont have any desire to drive it over the 488. If I want to feel the rush and experience of an exotic, my go to is the 488 and I dont see that changing anytime soon. While at the Ferrari showroom, I mentioned how quite a few just dont seem to like the 488. My dealer told me, the majority of those that "Dont Like" the 488, simply have not gotten the chance to drive or own one. I do not know how accurate that statement is. For me, the 488 ticks all the boxes and delivers one hell of a good time :) I would urge anyone looking at there next Exotic purchase to go take a 488 for a spin. Get in one, put your foot down, and let me know if it puts the same smile on your face as it did on mine :)

Here is VIDEO of me driving the 458 and 488 on track

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqEyYrMTAPs[/ame]

VIDEO of 488 and new Exhaust that sounds amazing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFG260ODP7I[/ame]

Here is VIDEO of my initial thought of the 458 VS 488 VS Adventador

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGX0_rPUvKE&t[/ame]

12. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    458 last mid engine NA v8. 488 newer faster etc,etc. Which is more classic? Is classic what you are looking for? Or the latest and greatest which will be outdated in a couple of years. I have a 575 with F1. Last front engine classic V12 with a hood scoop and the first with a F1 trans. Have looked at a 599 etc. Just can't do it. Like those that have a 550 with a manual. Best looking sounding mid engine V8. Manual or F1 cant beat the 355......If I had the money my next car would be a 275 4 cam or 365. So I guess for me the 575 is a keeper. GTS Bruce

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mitch , if you're looking for a spider maybe try a 458 spider first , if you don't feel like shelling out another 150k. I'm gonna wait a little longer to trade my 458 spider. Oh , they changed the law so you no longer have to buy a red rig. :) best , Kirk.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I would caution anyone saying its the last mid engine NA V8... or the last stick... etc... Ferrari is a for profit manufacturer... they will do whatever they need to whenever they need to do it.

Look at porsche... last manual gt3... last manual 4.0 last natrually aspriated gt3...

and now we have a manual gt3... a 4.0 gt3... and a naturally aspriated gt3.

Also announced... porsche will be making more gt2rs cars than originally thought as a way to quell the flippers etc...

The market has shown the manufactures that people are willing to pay more for certain things... and the manufacturers are listening.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why do you want to trade? Do you prefer the 488? Or is it just to get a new car?

I prefer the 458, that is why i ask.
    If you can order one, then i would order one vs buying a used one (which probably still carry a premium unless it has xxxx miles).
    I wouldnt stick with red if you prefer other colors. TDF blue, Giallo, Argento Nurburgring or even a dark red are all great colors.

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    From a total peanut gallery commenter (I don't own either car in question) -

If it were me I'd stick with the 458, or perhaps get a 458 spider if that's what you want.

I like the look of both cars in photos, but in real life the 458 looks better to me. The 488 has too many angular chunks taken out for it for my taste, at least in comparison to its predecessor.

I think the performance question is a red herring for most of us. I like to think I can drive well, and I think I can...but the likelihood is that 99.9% of the drivers on this forum, even those with track experience, don't have the capability to push the cars to the point where you can REALLY tell the difference. I mean, get Derek Hill to take you for a ride in my '83 Mondial, and I'll bet you come away feeling way more thrilled than you would taking yourself around the track in a 488. And even if you can drive like a pro, the laws in this country won't let you, so it's just bragging about stats, which always seems a little "beta" or needy to me, for lack of a better phrase. None of this is directed to you personally, just my overall feelings.

Based on that I'd buy the car you like the look of,,,or perhaps more importantly, the one with the cockpit that appeals to you most, as that's what you're really going to be seeing while driving.

ps- if you do go with a new car, I think black, white (Bianco Avus), and Mugello look best on these cars.

17. NETbilling

NETbilling Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks for all of the advice here. I think Im going to keep the 458 for now and see what comes as the successor to the 488. I gotta tell you though, the 812 Superfast looks incredible.

Mitch

18. NETbilling

NETbilling Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Great videos and awesome driving! Now I'm thinking again....

Thanks, Mitch

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    With all due respect, only you can make this decision.

Go down to your dealer and test drive a 488. Then you and your wallet will have an easy decision. No way it's worth the extra 150K for me.

To me: I would rather have 2 cars than one. Fortunately I do. I may add a third. Best wishes.

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I sold my 488 Spider and kept my 458 coupe. Besides the speed, I prefer the 458. Just more of a Ferrari feel to it. Wasn't a fan of the way the Turbos came on and didn't like the sound. (That was a huge turn off for me)
    BTW, I'm not he only 458 owner who feels the 458 is more enjoyable.
    Both great cars though.

21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    To be honest, after test driving the 488, I think the car is much better than most people acknowledge.

That said, I would have a 488. No question. But ONLY if it didn't mean handing over my 458. I really enjoyed the 488 and I can see myself with a 488 AND a 458. I can live without a 488, but not without a 458. Between the two, I second what Armen has wrote in its entirety.

Between the GTB or Italia and the Spider, I prefer the highest performance car and look at that gorgeous engine head through the glass. But I reckon the Spider has its very own allure, for all sorts of reasons, and I perfectly understand why some prefer it to a coupe no matter what.

Kind regards,

Nuno.