Testarossa True Cost of Ownership | FerrariChat

Testarossa True Cost of Ownership

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Jul 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hi Everyone,

Absolutely love the forum and the wealth of knowledge and wisdom I gotten so far on the Testarossa.
    One of the biggest concern buying one is of course maintenance; with many horror stories on the internet and sometimes naysayers I would be curious to know how much " you " actually spend on your Testarossa over the course a few years.
    Aside the dreaded, clutch,diff,major what has the car, including
    Up keep, etc truly cost you? What has been ur biggest pain in the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi F friend, would you be so kind to introduce yourself here first ? Where are you lacated ? (China, USA, Germany ?)

Please fill out the info on the RHS too ...

And how did you find that TR, year ? history ?

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Of course:
    -I am new to the forum, I live I the Bay Area
    -the car was sold by Ferrari of Orlando to time.
    -it's an 88 with a full major done at 24,1k miles and the car now has 24,6k. Service was performed by Ferrari of Philadelphia prior to the car relocating to Florida
    -I am the 3rd owner. It is red on crema
    -no clutch job done yet.

4. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    What is the true cost of ownership?

Well that is like asking, as we here in the UK might say, 'how long is a piece of string'?

Is it weak string, strong string?
    How new was it when you first got it?
    How often do you use it?
    Do you tie things up with it or just lay it on the table and take out the kinks etc?

Joking aside, it really does depend on the baseline condition when you got it, how you use the car AND whether you have space, tools and know-how to fix issues as and when they arise.

Take it to a garage workshop = 'give a man a fish and you feed him for a day'.
    Get a tool kit and learn how to use it = 'teach a man to fish and you feed him for life'.

Share your own constraints with us and I'm sure guys in a similar situation to your own will find it easier to respond.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Very true. It seems judging by the receipts with my car that the car did 5 majors in 29 years so it's been well kept. Seems like aside that the previous owners bills were like 1k each time for small things (electrics) and 500 per oil change

6. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    PS - I'm sure we've all heard that 'if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it!'.

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'll speak from experience:

-Clutch is very easy to do yourself. Cost ~$1200
    -Brake rebuild is also easy. Cost ~$1000
    -Mouse belts are Ferraris responsibility :D
    -Oil changes are easy and cheap if you don't want the service records
    -Engine out has been performed by many here with about 20-40 hours, a lift and about $1500
    -Fuel pumps are easy if you have a lift otherwise a few jacks. Cost ~$400
    -Tires are available at ~$700. Non metric of course and also once the BF back order is filled
    -Various electrical problems just take time to diagnose but generally are known issues based on symptoms. Could range from $0-300. Not talking about fusebox here but I think that's about $1500 and permanent.

So in general, if you're handy with a wrench and have the time, then ownership is not too expensive over a long period. The work mentioned above, with the exception of engine out, oil changes and maybe tires, span a period of 20 years or so.

As for insurance, it's cheaper to insure my TR than my winter beater which is worth <$500.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Great response! Makes me less stressed lol

9. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #9 Chief20123, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Now that's what I'm talking about! Love this forum and community!
    U guys rock

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Another common problem are the slow windows. This is typically due to the grease degrading over time but could also be a seized motor bushing. A few hours later, some cleaning products and fresh grease and your back in business. Costs about $20.

Coil modules failing are usually the result of a dead bank or complete engine not firing. Magnetti part costs about $150. After market module about $60. On that note, there are heaps of engine cross referenced parts.

Remember this. There are no problems that someone here hasn't already resolved. This site is a great source of information and this TR community is especially helpful when you're in need. Don't sweat the ownership, just enjoy one of the most iconic sports cars ever made. Trust me, you'll love it whether you're thrashing it hard or just cruising past crowds. Seeing everyone's jaw drop is worth every penny.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

I shall copy paste this to my wife! Lol
    U are right. So far I am surprised how trouble free it is ; love the visibility.
    I doubt I'll ever track it or only just before a major where the parts would be replaced anyways;)
    Thanks for all the input!

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I bought my F512M 2.5 years ago. It had just had a major at a main dealer, Ferrari Barcelona.

I try to drive each of my cars a few times over the summer period.

I have taken it for an annual service twice, at Joe Macari, official Ferrari service here in London, with the instruction to fix anything they find wrong; and last time to also change the gearbox oil (as advised on this forum). They haven't found anything else yet.

Last year it had a misfire which was cured with new plugs.

Total maintenance cost (I don't work on cars myself) has been less than £3000 GBP, a pleasant surprise, so far.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Ur story reminds me of an article I read...was it about your car?
    The 512 went through the roof ! I wish I had loved it's shape but for me I like the 512 tr the best of them all;)

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Possibly..I do write about my cars..

I think the TR is a purer shape, for sure.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Pretty sure it was when I lived in London; it was about how u went to Spain to get the car and did compression which it passed easily. There aren't that many 512 M;))

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Good memory! Yes that was mine, did a full check at Ferrari Barcelona including compression, wrote about it all. It was so hard finding a great F512M for sale.

Have to admit had my heart in my mouth when it got back to UK and asked Joe Macari to do the complete check as well. But they said it was the best they had seen. Love the car. Crazy car.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It is a great site indeed Sam !

19. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Engine out in 40 hours? By yourself?

Maybe. If you have every part you need, including special tools for valve adjustments...and all the shims on hand, and know how to adjust valves ferrari's peculiar way, and you don't spend weeks reading about water seal catastrophes, and, and, and...

Mine took close to a year of weekends, with winter off... Granted, I worked on it intermittently...

Most of that was researching, waiting for parts, etc...

Add weeks to rebuild the plug wires and order parts...

Add weeks to clean and powdercoating valve covers...and buy an oven and run 240v to the garage...

Add time trying to find fuel lines, and radiator lines, that don't carry a Ferrari premium...

I spent $2000+ easy on supplies... And, a year of intermittent weekends...

Car runs great, doesn't leak, and all is well...

If I ever do this again, and I hope never to... Maybe could be done in 40 hours...

Totally see why my cars last major was $15,000 or so at the dealer...

Oh...still can't find tires...

20. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    These cars are like a puzzle to work on, not a lot of info out there on how to do it either, 40 hours maybe for someone with all the tools and has done it several times, the first times always the slowest on repairs on a exotic unless you don't care are willing to break stuff.

I would say 120 hrs in reality for a non shop inexperienced guy to do a major on a TR.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Totally out of my skillset ! Id love to watch and learn a pro do it though. Most likely I'll always service her at an independent shop ; Ferrari has crazy prices!

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The Engine Out is quoted via a list: one days work for getting engine out, one for fitting. Three days for all other work.

So in totall 40 hrs of labour to pay + the set of spares that is needed (+ extra's that occur :) )