Seatbelt mouse stopped working | FerrariChat

Seatbelt mouse stopped working

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Nov 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The driver's side seatbelt mouse stopped working in the top (belt on) position (1994 512TR). The door jamb switch is OK, but the test light glows very dimly, leading me to believe there is a loose connection someplace. The passenger side mouse is alive and healthy.
    Any tips on where to start looking? Is there a mouse terminal on the relay board?

2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Have you had your recall done? If not, ask for the fix on Ferraris dime. If you have, ask them to do it again, on thier dime.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    About all you can try is disconnecting the battery, waiting a bit, and reconnecting (although that will give you some re-initialization work). If no joy after it wakes up again, you could try swapping the two ECUs behind the passenger footrest plate (but that would just help you deduce whether it was/is an ECU problem or not). Otherwise, the electrical portion of these passive systems isn't deeply intertwined into the main fuse-relay panel.

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 on the recall

5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    recall was done 2002 and has worked perfectly since. I will try the battery disconnect (Can I can use the disconnect switch?) and then check into the ecu swap. Thanks.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, fine to use the battery disconnect switch (but you will have to do the engine recal procedure). You should probably also disconnect the shoulder strap from the mouse just to give the mouse the least load if it does need to "free" itself.

7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I tried the battery disconnect switch, but no change. I am leaving for Finali Mondiali in Daytona in the AM (about a 3 hr drive) and I will look into swapping the ECU's when I get back. I have a friend with a 348 - are the seatbelt ECU's the same?

Also, what is the "engine recal procedure"?

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    See pages C25-C26 in the 512TR WSM -- it describes the recommended procedure for letting the Motronic system "relearn" some values that are lost after the battery has been disconnected/reconnected. Not sure if it's absolutely a must do before reuse or if the system would eventually relearn all the necessary values anyway. It's not complicated -- it's just letting it warm idle for 10 minutes with nothing else "on".

9. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Do mouse seat belts have a lifetime warranty?

10. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nope

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #11 ozziindaus, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Tim's right but because they are a safety item AND involved in a prior recall, Ferrari may feel compelled to make good, especially if the failure mode is the same as the original.

1987 Ferrari Testarossa Recall for Seat Belts Problem #88V186000

In my case, the original fault occurred again so Ferrari footed the bill on parts. I paid for the labour saving me >$1,200 from memory. I believe another member here was able to convince their local F shop to do the same. Worth a shot IMO

EDIT:

So when you click on the link next to the "see also", it takes you to this
    1987 Ferrari Testarossa Recall for Seat Belts Problem #03V142000

Similar issue but with a recall notification date of 4/24/2003. Note that the original recall notification on the '87 was 3/10/89. Does this mean there were two recalls?

EDIT 2.0

So i dug a little deeper. Looks like the later recall had more to do with an individual complaint regarding charge back.
    FERRARI Problems - 1987 FERRARI TESTAROSSA Problems & Complaints - ODI #8011967

Maybe Ferrari weren't doing me any favors after all :confused:

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I will try it Steve, although the battery has been disconnected/replaced/reconnected innumerable times with no relearning procedures and no problems.

I just got back from Finali Mondiali in Daytona. Freakin' unbelievable for a F-1/Ferrari enthusiast. Besides over 1000 customer driven "regular" Ferraris, there were 19 "Cliente" F-1 cars. We had full access to the garages and you could walk right up to any of these cars (Schumacher, Barricello, Raikkonen and Alonso cars - no Vettel or Massa). Amazing. They even let some parents take a photo of their kid sitting in the car!
    Not to mention 18 FXX cars and 14 FXXK cars in the same garage. The show field had about 100 "Classiche" certified cars, from 1950's testarossas (4) to LaFerraris (5), to Tour De France cars, EVO cars, F-50's, F-40's, Enzos, 288 GTO's and on and on. Magic - way better than any F-1 event or car show I have attended.

john a barnes likes this.
  13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    To hear the older V-10 and V-12 F1 cars are something. I still remember 2001 Indy F1 cars screaming down the long straight into turn one. I was at the F1 race at Monza in September.
    The cars sounded terrible, was like a parade of nothing. The last F1 race I will attend till something changes.

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #14 JIMBO, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, back into the seatbelt problem. I removed the foot rest plate and switched the seat belt ECU's. Either ECU will work perfectly with the passenger side belt mouse, so the ECU is not the culprit. I removed the door jamb switch and it also seems to work. I tried the ECU "re-learning" procedure as stated in the WSM, but no dice. I imagine the next step is to get to the passive belt motor behind the rear panel. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone (Melvok) have any photos?
    Also in the photos below and shown in Tavola 121 of the Spare Parts Catalogue are two interesting electrical pieces named only PM and PF Connector Black and PM and PF Connector White. Anyone know what they do? They (as well as the seat belt ECU's) sure have a lot of wires. And what about the connector between the white and black? I don't even see that listed in the Catalogue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    anyone know how to get to the mouse motor? There must have been instructions sent to the dealers with the seatbelt replacement.

16. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow....never been here before. Makes me just want to convert to the euro belts!

Looking at the parts, the belts don't seem all that expensive. It would be the euro upper door covers that would be hard to get.

It seems like if we could just get a salvage pair, then someone could reproduce them cheaply.

17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Of course that would be simple and make sense - not the Ferrari way.

18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Anyone have info on access to the seatbelt interior panels, i.e. where are the screws and how does each panel come off?

19. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    In for this info as well. I have a TR that has improperly functioning limit switches. I need to remove the A/B pillar covers to see what can be done to adjust the switches.

20. Sleestak

Sleestak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2014
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    According to the Ferrari Data Base, mine was recalled/repaired about six or seven years ago. In the past year, both motors stopped working. So, when I took my car in for the "Major" service, Ferrari approved the repair and replacement of my seatbeat motors, on their dime! Mine was repaired through Towbin Ferrari of Las Vegas a couple months ago.

21. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sounds like Ferrari have a responsibility/obligation to ensure the belts are always working. Nothing they are advertising of course :rolleyes:

22. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #22 302Tim, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attached are instructions on how to access the mouse belt motors on a Testarossa--I have no idea if they are the same for a 512TR or F512M (would like to know, hint, hint....). Use care when removing the panels, most are aluminum and bend quite easily. Never tried but I have read that the microswitch "arms" at each station (position) can be bent or adjusted (carefully) without removing anything (they are in the center of the tracks)--that may solve some problems easily (arms get bent and don't make contact).

My belts act up quite often with several different symptoms (recall was done many years ago). When actuating the passenger side tensioner occasionally tensions mid-way and wont release the belt so about 1/2 way through travel it reaches full tension and halts the belt. I can work around this by pulling the belt out a few inches and holding manually before closing the door. If I forget and it does lock up I can manually pull the retract mechanism "in" with the belt (about 1/4") then it will release the belt.

The drivers side motor is weak so it behaves differently--often when opening the door it won't move the mouse fully to the open position and stalls--frustrating. It also sometimes wont retract when the door is closed (I think this is a switch issue).

Regardless, I can often resolve issues by switching off the ignition then on again to "reset" the cycle. I've learned to live with it's behavior; nearest dealer is 2 hrs. away and if they wouldn't replace for free I wouldn't want to pay the parts + labor bill. I can always get them to work so no safety concerns.

REMEMBER if yours get to the point where they won't work (retract/extend) you can release them from the automated track and move them to the lock/unlock position manually--this will mitigate all but a tensioner issue.