How much does your F430 cost you per mile? | FerrariChat

How much does your F430 cost you per mile?

Discussion in '360/430' started by danny_acs, Jul 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. danny_acs

danny_acs Karting

Aug 17, 2015
    London, UK
    I searched the forum, but couldn’t really find a definitive answer to my question. Apologies in advance if I've missed something relevant; I would really appreciate it if you could provide corresponding links!

Say I wanted to rent my F430 out to other enthusiasts. I am not saying I would, but I'm just thinking hypothetically. If I wanted to charge my clients on a per-mile basis, I would have to have to figure out a break-even cost per mile. Makes sense? A bit like when you hire a Cessna plane and you pay by the flight time/hours.

I believe we all agree that Ferrari’s are considerably more expensive to run than "everyday" cars. Servicing is more expensive, parts and repairs are more expensive, and even a little bit of extra miles makes the car less valuable (affecting the resale negatively). I am interested to see how much it costs you to run your F430 per mile, on average.

I'm pretty sure most of us have thought about it at some point. I know we we all have different experiences, so let’s try to keep it simple. Include scheduled servicing, repairs, depreciation and divide it by the miles you’ve driven. Disregard insurance, road tax and fuel. It would be interesting to see what people come up with! Thanks!

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All in so far, excluding depreciation, I am some where around $6-$8 per mile (I blame the clutch change on that number).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    It can be anything between $2-10. But nevertheless it's Money well spent!!

4. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Absolutely. Truly a case of "If you have to ask..."

5. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Lets see...

06 F430 $118250 .. 15800 mile car
    Oil changes $500
    Major Service $2000
    Tires $1500
    Tail light $500

Total $122750

Traded it in 3 years later with 33000 miles for $85000 towards a new Porsche.

$122750 - $85000 = $37750

$37750 to drive 17200 miles in an F430

$2.19 / mile. Not factoring in gas, insurance, car washes, etc.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Congrats on driving 17,200 miles. By doing so, you have racked up more miles than several typical owners.

To the original question. $3 a mile, assuming no major blow ups, is a good guess of the capital costs. Consumables is another story.

7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    85k seems a bit thin compensation for a nice 430. But if you really wanted a porsche...

8. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Not to derail the thread...

.. $85k works out to $90950 when you factor in the 7% tax credit towards the new car purchased. I'm not sure I could have got much more than $91k from the private market for a Black / Black 32k mile car that needed a couple issues addressed. When I factor in the time I would have to spend marketing the car, answering questions from buyers that need .. a loan, permission from their wives, have to sell their car first .. etc etc... not to mention entertaining PPI's that will surely find something wrong with the car. I am not sure I would have came out ahead.

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My 360 F1 was $2 per mile over 4 years ownership (3k miles travelled) for all maintenance and repairs at the Ferrari dealer. The more you drive them the cheaper (per mile) it gets. My 430 is way less as I do it all myself and no depreciation as it's manual.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I bought mine new 12 years ago. It's a 3 pedal coupe with 28K on it now. Sticker was 178K+. I figure it's now worth 150K or so. That would be about a buck a mile but bear in mind it was only worth about 110K a few years ago before sticks got hot. Who knows what's next. Scheduled maintenance cost around 10K. I know in some parts of the country, owners get screwed on service where they charge by the book instead of actual time. Repairs have been minimal. I have tracked the car a fair amount, so I spent extra on brakes and tires. Probably around 6K on brakes. I've worn out 4 sets of tires so let's say another 6K. Insurance is cheap here and probably totals another 10K. I estimate it's burned 1750 gallons of gas. So, I'm about 2.25/mile including everything. Depreciation is probably over. Might even continue to appreciate. Since I rarely track it anymore, tire and brake costs will be down. Service has gotten pricier. I think anyone who buys one now will have pretty low overall expense. The more miles you put on it, the cheaper they are!

Dave

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I wrote a check for $120K and drove it for 3K miles. Right now that works out to $40 per mile without factoring registration, gas or insurance. Add about $1500 in maintenance. That makes it more expensive than my first wife... but way more satisfying. Ferrari wins.

12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    $120k for a wife seems cheap

13. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You get what you pay for... and it was 1993.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I estimated $5 to $7 per mile.

Worth every penny!

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    who cares? if that matters it is the wrong car for you.

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Exactly. You will not enjoy it to the max if you're thinking of dollars instead of RPMs. Mine has cost me about $20/mile, lock, stock & barrel including purchase price, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. I'm doing my best to drive that # down by driving the mileage up. Best of luck in your decision...T

17. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have a 360 and crunched the numbers to find out how much it has cost me per mile over the last five years per mile.

Just figured I need to drive it more to make the numbers better!!!!!!