Classiche Certification- new rules | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Classiche Certification- new rules

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rosey, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    If my recollection from the other thread linked earlier is correct, the Ferrari charge to dealers for rental of the Classiche Recertification Sign is $3,998.40 (3,500 Euros) each year. At an estimated shop billing charge of $150 per hour, that means that the dealer would need to do 27 cars just to pay for the rental of the sign. I seriously wonder if each dealer would have 27 classic vehicles near them to be worthwhile to even participate in the program.

My point is, it may be that most dealers would likely not be interested in participating in the recertification stamp program for 2 cars per month, assuming it is voluntary and not factory mandated. This means that some Ferrari owners who don't mind putting up with annually jumping thru the Classiche hoop may be hard pressed to locate a participating dealer reasonably close to them.

2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    So the latest I hear from some pretty reliable sources is that Ferrari will set up around 50 Classiche sites around the world where cars can get appraised for certification.

Now whether these are used for the sole purpose of initially granting Classiche certification or whether they are the only site that will inspect an already Classiched car for it's annual inspection remains to be seen.

Personally I'm hoping for the former, as I'm not going to be driving my car hundreds of kilometres to get it certified at a specific Classiche inspection centre very year.

3. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I don't think you drive 'Classiche' cars, you get them trailed to and from the air-conditioned storage centre.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nice little racket they hooked you guys into LOL

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #80 Albert-LP, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Classiche red book official name is "first certificate" at least since 2014, the first time I asked for one.

This said, nobody is forced to have a Classiche red book, and nobody that already has a Classiche red book is forced to join this program of annual check too.

I paid thousands of euros to have a letter of Enzo Ferrari's wife sent from the US to himself and a Schedoni bag with Franco Gozzi name embossed on it: why shouldn't be worth of the same value a book signed by the son of Enzo Ferrari himself that is full of my car pictures and that says my car is 100% factory original?

So, where is the problem, where is the racket?

ciao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Good point.

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That's what counts, in a nutshell.
    Pronounced as "BO-HEE-KAH", which is typically seen as B.O.H.I.C.A. or more commonly, just BOHICA.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The son of Enzo Ferrari himself signed my 308's owners manual. So did Sergio Scaglietti, Mauro Forghieri, Phil Hill, Michael Schumacher, Mario Andretti, Derek Bell, Stirling Moss Fernando Alonso, Rubens Barrichello, Luigi Chinetti Jr. And a dozen or so more names I don't recall at this moment because it isn't in front of me.

Between that owners manual and my certification it received on 30 Jan 84, I would say my 308 QV is as unique as any high dollar factory Red Book.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Nice novelty, but I'd still only be a buyer based on the condition of the car, not the condition of the paperwork accompanying it.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I agree 100.00%

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agreed. Even though I have Classiche certification on my car I would still expect a potential buyer to run a pre purchase inspection over the car before making a decision to purchase.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have no issues with the annual certification. It’s rather simple, actually. The dealer inspects the car to verify that the major components on the Classiche checklist are still in compliance, then they stamp your certification booklet. As someone who invested in Classiche, I much prefer that Ferrari maintains this standard, otherwise, cars will just be viewed as certified in perpetuity even if they are no longer compliant. If that were the case, then tbere is zero integrity in the service. As one who has Classiche on both my cars, I appreciate that my investment is being protected. I’m not sure why anyone would have an issue with that.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    When I look at the junk they meanwhile sell as "Maranello Approved [repro] parts", I cannot care less about what they say about "compliance".
    But when the time comes to sell the car, such a certificate is probably worth the money, since a sucker is born every minute.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Saabguy likes this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #89 Rossocorsa1, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    I’m not sure what reissued or superseded parts has to do with certification. Maybe you’re confusing Classiche restoration with Classiche Certification. I’ve also always thought it was humorous how many people complain about Classiche because their cars are heavily modified and wouldn’t pass committee approval.

Oh, and thanks for referring to me and countless other discerning collectors as “suckers”.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Because compliance doesn't appear to mean "good condition", "well-preserved", or "excellently maintained." The plug wires might be shot to hell, but so long as it's "as delivered" - no worries, here's a Classiche book.

HotShoe likes this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Correct, despite what some may think, Classiche is not a concours judging process. it is a process to determine that the cars’ main operating components are either original and/or correct. I can personally attest that the certification process was extremely thorough, with multiple back and forth from the factory Classiche committee, and my cars are completely original and in exceptional condition.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    For those who don’t understand Classiche, I would encourage reading the certification criteria (attached).

Attached Files:

18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That sort of confirms my thoughts on it, to myself. Under Chassis, for example, I see nothing which relates to condition; rust present, or not.

I do understand what Classiche is, but I also understand what it isn't. I've seen several cars which proudly showed their Red Book, but the cars themselves showed a distinct lack of care. Sure, the hoses were original... which wasn't such a great thing, as they also looked rotting.

I'm fine with people getting the badge, truly. My car, incidentally, would never be awarded Classiche (and I'm not bitter about it). It's just amusing to me that some put so much emphasis on a designation which in itself tells you very little about about what condition a particular car is actually in.

HotShoe likes this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I understand what you’re saying, but again, it isn’t a certification of condition. Which, in fairness, would only infuriate the large stock of owners who’s cars are in poor condition but it’s the apple of their eye.

Just for clarification - Classiche doesn’t require that everything is original. Major components, such as chassis, engine, etc. yes, but parts are not expected to be original (of course not). They need to be original or proper replacement parts.

My personal opinion is that Classiche should be much more rigid. Everything should be either original or be replaced with proper, OE parts. Or, in cases where that’s impossible, the parts should be precise reproductions. I think the requirement should be the highest standard set forth by the IAC/PFA. You want to see people really freak out, than implement that requirement.

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #95 thorn, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Agreed, but it will never happen. Ferrari seems to have little (ie, no) interest in the parts supply for vintage owners.

Fortunately, we do have Verell ....

newark_308, Saabguy and JuLiTrO like this.
  21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's still a wank
    All it does is add value to what is probably a crap car that should be avoided.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Classy comment. Absurd. Some of the finest examples in every conceivable Ferrari class, owned by some of the most respected collectors in the world, are Classiche Certified. Hardly “crap cars”.

Albert-LP likes this.
  23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's selective interpreting.
    Nothing is more important that condition IMO.....and my point is that some of the less initiated will give more value to a car because of classiche than it deserves. It's worthless.

The fact that some great cars have it doesn't make it any more valuable. Sadly, that gives more cred to classiche than it deserves.

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I haven't been impressed with the level of knowledge of 308's by that program and local dealers.

There are about 7 or 8 of us here that could serve as consultants and do a far better and much more accurate evaluation.

newark_308, Martin308GTB and JuLiTrO like this.
  25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Could be an probably is. But there are also (at least) 7 or 8 car models that perform far better and are much more reliable than our Ferraris without costing more than ours. But they just have a problem: they aren't Ferrari.

This said, nobody is forced to follow Classiche program, but there are good reasons for doing it and also for not doing it: everyone can take his own decision without being accused to be stupid or anything like that.

ciao

dflett, SAFE4NOW and Rosey like this.