Is direct sunlight bad for scale models? | FerrariChat

Is direct sunlight bad for scale models?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, May 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    We're in the process of buying a home with a glass house attached to it. Part of this glass house would be great for making a display room for my scale models. It would be very bright, but I was wondering of direct sunlight is bad for the models? Should I put op shades or maybe put some sort of translucent foil on the glass?

Thanks, Peter

2. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    you are correct, but depends on the material the models are made of.
    Vacuform windows turn yellow
    Resin becomes flexibel
    Glue will disolve

but only with excessive warmth, UV or sunlight.

My cabinets have only glass fronts, and I keep that side away from direct sunlight.
    Don't have lights either.

Hans

3. ferrariboy360

ferrariboy360 Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geert Peeters
    i agree what Hans says
    I moved my models to my dressing because there is no direkt sunlight

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

get the windows some nice 3M UV film.

3M? Sun Control Window Films, Prestige Series for Residential | 3M United States

Also available in Europe, I'm sure.

Keep a nice sunny room, or cut down a little on the inbound light, while blocking heat and UV to avoid your models falling apart or fading.

I have this on all my windows here in SW Florida, the heat reduction was amazing and is saving me money every month on my cooling bill. Reduced light in the house by maybe 5-10%, but cuts down UV by 95%+-.

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I agree with Hans. And... paint and decals definitely fade if exposed to direct sun light. The 3M film would definitely help, but at least some (or all) of your models will eventually be affected. Shades and or the combination of the 3M film and shades would be better.

99% of my collection is displayed with NO direct sunlight hitting it. That said, I do have some cases in my house next to a full glass sliding door that does receive a lot of direct sun every day, but when we first moved in..... about 15 years ago, I had UV blocking protective film applied to the door. It is light and not at all noticeable. I have moved many display items in and out of the case as I have bought and sold things, but there are many in there for a long and none have been affected.... at least not as far as I can see.

As far as lighting goes, you do need to be careful. Stay away from Halogens to near, and incandescent bulbs too. I use a minimal amount of low wattage LED strips, and I also hardly ever turn them on.

Last bit of my "two-cents" here..... for those who don't know..... I didn't until someone who knew more than me on this explained it to me. Fluorescent lighting will also fade paint, decals, any type of art work hanging on your walls! I found this out too late for some of my art, and also model boxes. Be careful. This can happen fairly fast too. And of course the closer items are to fluorescents.... the faster and more significant the fading will be.

6. minidelta

minidelta Rookie

Jan 29, 2006
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick Badot
    Two other important things not to be ignored: excessive temperature variations are bad for hand build models because of the variety of material used and home dust which is usually a bit greasy because of central heating and cooking.

7. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have a minimal amount of Fluorescent lighting in my gallery [but mostly indirect daylight and halogen] about 10' up and have not noticed any degradation...I will keep an eye on this ;)

I know clear coats over decals tends to invite criticism but the clear I use does have UV protection. I have had clients report back after many, many years stating they look like new .

Some of the older British decals i.e. Marsh, SMTS. etc will go yellow in the box and when placed in direct sunlight for a day or two will go white again. I actually tested this and it is true.

8. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    All my models are kept in the Original plexy-cases that come with most handbuilts, that way
    They are displayed inside the boxes in the showcase

For models that are mounted on plinths, like old AMR's I had custom boxes made.
    I Have handbuilts made around 1990 that are still in pristine condition

Dusting and cleaning a handbuilt is "not" my kind of job..

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, completely agree. I keep the temperature even all year around - no excessive heat or cold, and all cabinets with models are tightly sealed and weather stripped preventing dust and other contaminants in the air from laying down on the models.

10. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    I'd like to upgrade my cabinet as my shelves have drop off space and I live in earthquake country. Anye recommendations?

I also am moving to a place heavy on sunlight so I've been thinking a tight fitting shade is the way to go. No room without windows.

I keep a little humidity / temp hygrometer In my cabinet. My humidity probably varies 5% per day but stays under 60% all year.

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Direct sunlight is bad for everything except green plants. Good rule of thumb.

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I guess I have to either find another room, or block the sky lights and windows of the glass house from heat and uv.

13. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Or put uv window film on your display case, rather than go to the expense of applying it to your windows and skylights.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Using real Plexiglass -acrylic glass- display boxes also helps, since PMMA is a good UV-filter.
    What doesn't help at all is using those much cheaper clear polystyrene display cases.

Best
    Martin

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Where do you get that data from?

PMMA is no better at UV filtration than regular glass without specific additives.

D

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    IIRC red is the most likely color to fade from UV exposure. Just noticed yesterday that the red label on my office computer's PSU is noticeably faded since I've had the side panel off and it's exposed to a few hours of afternoon sun.

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Interesting observation. And actually there were many cars painted in red during the 80s which suffered from severly faded paint. Only the red ones, especially from VW and Opel (GM)
    Don't know why red, but an interesting topic for further research.

Dave,
    I got these data during my employment at the german 'Fraunhofer Gesellschaft', where I got my first engineering job, researching acrylic glass.
    I didn't state, that acrylic glass is better than anorganic glass. But anorganic glass is already a UV-filter. You will get tanned skin or sunburn on your left arm much later, when you keep your side window closed. My theory is, that using acrylic display cases double the effect together with the room windows, while polysterene boxes do nothing.
    Anyway, I think that it's not only UV-rays, which damage the modelcars, but also the temperatures, which occur when exposed to direct sunlight.
    The effect, PeterWPro describes - yellowed decals getting white again in sunlight- is comparable with blonde hair, which also gets lighter, when exposed to sunlight long enough.
    Or bleaching laundry in the sun many decades ago.

No kidding.

Best
    Martin

18. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The easy answer to the OP question is - YES! Keep your models out of direct sunlight.

19. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I agree with the above. Direct sunlight is bad for photos, posters, cloth furniture, auto paint & upholstery, videos, yada yada. It can't possible be good for model cars either.

20. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #20 moriaan1, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    That is a real bummer.

This maybe a dumb question but do you consider any light that may come through the window and then into the cabinet direct sunlight? I let some light in through the window when I'm using the room so it's not dark and I can see!

22. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #22 moriaan1, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Sun shining directly in the showcase through the window is to much in my opinion.

My cabinets are places beside a window so there is never direct sun in the cabinet.
    I keep them in a separate (extra) room in my house. (Kids are gone :) so I have the space )
    Know some collectors that have shutters or blinds in the windows.

It sometimes amazes me that there are collectors spending 1000's on models without proper display or dustfree storage..
    Preservation is important, dust can ruin them very easily.. especially in modern houses with open plan kitchen-livingroom set up.

Here in Europe the climate is pretty good, I know collectors in Asia that keep their collection in climate controlled rooms to avoid moisture and temperature changes.

23. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    That is good information thank you. I use shutters in my room but sometimes I open them a little for light. I do have a nice glass cabinet luckily. The position of the window and there is a overhang outside you can never see sun directly. Awhile back i decided to hang up something directly in front of the cabinet and if I need a little light in the room its's ok, then I remove at night or when I want to take a peak. I also keep a 10 dollar hygrometer temp humidity in the case you can see through the glass But lukily my climate is amesome.

24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Some light in the room is ok, but Not direct sunlight. The keyword here is "direct."

25. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Direct sunlight is bad for everything.