Why does my 308 have so much Chrome? | FerrariChat

Why does my 308 have so much Chrome?

Discussion in '308/328' started by wda24729, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #1 wda24729, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    You don't have chrome. It's just that the black colour on your car's trim has faded/washed out due to a combination of time and I would guess also some chemical exposure. Almost certainly you'll see black in the hidden areas once the trim comes off.

Send the aluminum trim bits to an anodizer (the original finishing process BTW) to be re-done in black, and you'll be all set.

Best Regards,
    Paul

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Those parts used to be anodized, if you can remove them you can have them reanodize.

4. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Excellent, thanks. Any tips on removing...do they just prise out?

What about the silver strips on the rear side window louvres. Should they stay silver?

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Removing the strips is pretty involved and they are held in with a combination of urethane adhesive and pop rivets. This is all part of pre-paint prep but it is by no means an easy task. No real tricks just a combination of care and force :)

6. DustyM

DustyM Karting

Jun 7, 2011
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Jon Miller
    #6 DustyM, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Reanodizing is the OEM answer but it will fad again. Another answer is to power coat the parts and it will not fad. Better alternative IMO but not OEM correct. I did it on my 77 930 and I am pleased with the result, as my stainless trim had turned purple with the sun over the years.

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Plastic coating is Not better in Any way I must say...keep to the original finish please. Best
    Peter

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    In over 30 years I have never seen that part of a 308 fade so completely and uniformly as yours here. I have seen many with "thin spots" here and there but none just straight up silver like this.

It appears as if some former owner did it intentionally.

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well that's another opinion, everyone has one.

11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    One side of mine is exactly the same. I assume it was from polishing.

I've not found a local anodizer willing to redo it.

12. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    But, here's the good news if you re-anodize...by the time it fades...we'll all be dead! Hehehehe! :)

13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Correct, my guess is that someone has seen the black trim become very thin in coating and taken to polishing it to make it more uniform exposing the chrome underneath.

14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If it were me I'd probably just mask it off and paint it in-situ. You run a genuine risk of damaging it trying to pry it off of there. Paint may not be original but nobody is going to know and if it really bugs you it can easily be completely reversed back to bare metal for anodizing if you decide to go that route. You might even try plasti-dip.

15. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

This exact thought goes my mind every time I walk past the car in the garage. But in 7 years I have not done it. By now it's part of the cars character.

16. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    You're right Dusty. The bits round the windows are polished alu not chrome. I did however have my rear light reflectors chromed because although I think they were originally polished steel they had rotted and easiest way was to weld the holes and then chrome them. My front bumper is fine but had the rear one rechromed last winter.

The Dino308gt4 badge is also chrome. But bought a new one from Maranello Parts.

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks for all your help. Im a little nervous of taking these off, so I'll first see if I can still get the replacement parts before attempting and maybe damaging. If not, painting insitu might be the option. Door trims I've already got off, no issue, its just the one on the windscreen pillar and windscreen surround

Any thoughts on the high points on the rear window louvres. These are supposed to be silver against the black louvres?

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes the window louvers are plastic and are black/silver