Considering an exotic | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Considering an exotic

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sgferrari, Jun 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't know if prices have dropped that much in the past year and I'm not sure they will drop a whole lot in the next year. The price where the FF is today seems to be quite a lot of car for the money. My advice is if you find what you want, pull the trigger.

2. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    There is a 2013 with 30k miles or so offered at $149k in the classified section... Prices are still going down at least for another 3 years and close to $100k as they all come out of warranty and are being driven. What happens after that will depend on many other factors that are not known yet.

That said around $150k a 4 year old FF is a fantastic buy as everyone above agrees, just don't think they will bottom out anytime soon.

3. sgferrari

sgferrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    Thank you all for the feedback! Looking for more details about the buying process.

The selection is fairly limited. So, most likely the purchase needs to be done from out of town dealer/seller. That could be hundreds to thousands of miles away. Carfax would be available online. Assuming the record is clean and car has the features that you need.

1. Do people normally get the car inspected by 3rd parties to have peace of mind on such a large purchase?

2. Is buying from private seller really advisable? Or dealer is the way to go
    3. If you choose a dealer, do you fly down, sign the paperwork and get the car shipped?

Do share experiences. Thanks!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^
    1. I would, unless it's CPO. I suspect most F-chatter would even if CPO

2. Dealer IMO, but many on F-chat have had great private purchase experiences.

3. I did it all via email, one or two phones calls, and a wire transfer. Dealer in Connecticut arranged shipping to F dealer here in Dallas.

T

5. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I would definitely check the car out in person. Fly out, test drive it. Make sure it drives well and doesn't have any strange noises or rattles. Then either ship it back or drive it back. Driving the FF is fun so a road trip is never a bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    YES.

Marcel Massini

7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Agreed with the above. Once you pay your money and that car goes on the transporter, your ability to handle a problem with the seller is severely diminished. You can also see about enlisting a local expert to help with your inspection. I think it would depend where the car is located and my objective would not be nit picking- but rather, to be aware of any major issues.

To state the obvious: a Ferrari isn't a Honda, and while there are similarities in parts of the experience, they are just similarities.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Actually New York is #1, followed by Hong Kong, then Moscow.

Matt

P.S. I love the FF...

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I bought my last Ferrari in one of the most well known and prestigious Ferrari dealers in Europe and it's the second I buy there. In both cases I checked the cars personally to assess the paint work, interior condition and to learn as much as possible about the cars history. With the first car there was a one year warranty extension and despite of having had a terrible gear-box issue everything was repaired under the warranty. With the latest car I negotiated with the purchase the enclosure of a two years extension warranty and up to now everything went as agreed and the car completely corresponds to my expectations. However I have a friend who bought another Ferrari by the end of last year from this same dealer and very recently he had a major unpleasant surprise. During a regular maintenance check of the car at our local dealer it was discovered that the four ceramic disks were completely contaminated and had to be substituted. That's a substantial investment at the owner's expense and the logic question to ask is did the seller knew about the problem? Most probably they did but they didn't mentioned it. That can happen to any one despite of how meticulous he his, and this story makes me conclude that when you are buying a second hand Ferrari and even when dealing with the best and most professional dealers, you have to double check to make sure that there are no issues. The best way I've found to minimize this kind of risks is to be covered at least partially by a warranty extension included with the car purchase.

10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It would be best to have a PPI done regardless of where you get it from. The problem is finding the independent in the area...

I'm not sure if the warranty will cover wear and tear items like CCB rotors. Does it? That's one of the main things I worry about.

11. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #36 Caeruleus11, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    I think you will find a range of answers but I think in the US it is not uncommon to have some kind of pre-purchase inspection. The last time I had to do this, it turned out someone I know was very friendly with the sales manager at the dealership where the car was located and he swore up and down the car was fine, and I believed it. The car was located several hours by plane away and I didn't have the time to go and see it. I trusted my friend's relationship. I took a chance and it worked out. You can see that is not always the case. I think you really have to be prepared that if you buy the car, you might have to deal with something later. Hence the advice for the warranty. I also think you hear a lot of horror stories on line because the good stories don't evoke the same passion to convey the story. I have bought Ferraris from several dealers (pre-owned and new) and I have never had a bad experience. I think you will find most people are not out to harm you. At least that's what I've found. But, it really is the old rule of buyer beware so if you can enlist the help of someone knowledgable, it is worth the cost.

You might find better pricing at the private seller, but I think you have to ask what your peace of mind is worth. So,on this you will probably get a range of responses, but my opinion is for the first time Ferrari buyer, I would definitely go with an authorized dealer. I just think theres greater peace of mind, especially if the car is sold as Ferrari Approved CPO. No system is perfect, but I just think buying a Ferrari is a big deal and this can help give you a little more comfort.

You can do that. You could do it all via email and fed-ex and wire transfers if you don't want to go in person. You can also fly down, inspect the car, go home, think on it, and then sign things and have the car shipped. Or take delivery right there on the spot and begin bonding with your first Ferrari on a beautiful drive home! Since this is your firs time doing it, my advice would be to be there in person. If you can't drive it home, maybe you arrange your schedule so you are there when the car gets on the transporter- so you see it being loaded- and then you fly home and are there for when the car is removed. Just make sure they are not off loading your car at a mid point in the trip. It really depends on the service you are using. In my case, the dealer had their own enclosed carrier and their driver actually drove throughout the day and night to get to my home, late in the night, and he dropped it off, I pulled it right into my garage and I inspected it under the lights. I could see the dealer's truck driver was tired and I asked him what he was going to do and he said he would turn around and drive back. I gave him some extra money above the tip and I suggested he go to the Hilton about 4 miles from my home and take a good sleep. I think he did it.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id go with a no shields 458 or f12. A pozzi no badge f12 is elegant. a tdf 458 with no badges is also divine. only get the ff if you need awd or backseats but keep in mind the back seats are pretty much useless for daily needs. my 11,9 and 8 yr old rather me take the 500 abarth then climbing in and out of the ff.

13. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Yes. A PPI is highly recommended. Doubt there will be much to find on a low miles FF that just ran out of warranty, but it's always worth it to be on the safe side. From a dealer's perspective, I'd prefer to address an preexisting issues that were missed on the front end rather than you trying to sort through them on your own while being states away.

Depends on the dealer regarding question #3. We're comfortable transacting without the client ever coming to the dealership. Paperwork, other odds and ends, can typically be handled by FedEx and email these days. Shipping is really easy to coordinate as well (with good referrals).

Good luck to you!!!

14. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

For the US, Seattle doesn't even break the top 10..................

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Would you still recommend it for a CPO car?

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

I would be double careful buying a car out of Florida. Not every car there is bad but all bad cars seem to end up there.

I bought a (different) car sight unseen from New York from a dealer. Turned out OK but bought at a huge discount so would have been able to absorb a few "Uh-ohs".

I would get a PPI at an authorised dealer but come to think of it got burned there too by the Orlando Ferrari dealer who thought he was going to sell a new car to my seller at the end; nope. A completely useless PPI in the end.

Put a 599 on the list IMO. Buy the car for YOU not others. Selfish as that may seem buying a car for disinterested others has never worked out in the end.

17. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Yes. CPO coverage primarily applies to power train related items. In other words, it's not bumper to bumper. Definitely still a huge value add, just not all encompassing like Ferrari's extended warranty, which is different that CPO.

18. sgferrari

sgferrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    Finally got to drive an FF this weekend. It was an absolute blast!! And very importantly, got approval from the family to pull the trigger in a few months. FF has the best balance of looks, performance, sound and comfort.

It was grey with nero interior and silver calipers. Pano roof. I would call these as fairly sober options. And the car looked stunning (I am over the hatchback now). Photos and videos can provide a muted impression. The appearance can only be appreciated in person. The car has a presence of its own.

I will be watching out for a car with the right options. That being said

1. Really like the yellow or red calipers in that order. If the car has base silver calipers, is it fairly easy to get it painted yellow?

2. Pano roof makes the car feel bright and spacious. It makes it even more special. If I cant find pano roof, does diamond stitched roof look nice? Is it close enough

3. At idle with windows down, one can feel the exhaust sound when standing behind the car. In the driver seat, it sounds muted though. While driving the exhaust came alive at 3000 rpm or higher as far as i remember. Is that right?

19. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    I have enjoyed this thread( maybe one day I will be shopping) . I am curious ,do the Ferrari dealership trade inventory ,like the major domestic dealers ? If a good customer comes in and is looking for a car with certain specs will they assist ? Or do they say sorry, just check around? So it becomes the customers job to shop around ? Will they service a car purchased from a different area ?

Edward

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You can get the calipers painted- there are shops that do it. I don't know the cost.

I agree on the pano roof and I like that option. I think only you can say if you must have it or if a nice stitched roof can be a substitute.

From memory you have it about right re: exhaust sound. You can rectify that with some after market exhaust stuff. But my advice is leave it stock, at least for a few months. Try it as they intended. Then you can decide if you want to tweak it to your tastes.

I hope you get exactly the car you want! :)

21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    is 991.2 GT3 considered an exotic? it is right in the price range of OP.

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It should be.

23. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I would say a 458 or FF but it seems like you're more of an FF type of guy. My favorite color for it is any shade of gray followed by the darker blues.

24. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You can have them painted but then you're off sticker which is never good with these cars if you go to sell it. I was quoted $3500.

Pano is great for passengers, as a driver it's not a big deal. Yet the diamond roof to me is like driving inside a casket. No bueno.

You can get the remote to open the valves at low idle, or I'd recommend an X pipe and cans. I have Capristo, deep tone that screams a little. Novitec sounds great and is insane money IMO. Fi is louder, more high pitched F1 scream.

Highly suggest you start up a spreadsheet with cars down the columns and each of the features, price, price drops, date on the market, on the rows. You will see what's out there, what prices are, and then you will feel good to buy. IMO prices are so good no it's less of a deal yet everyone wants to feel smart. You can get cars from 150-200 that are all good. New Power warranty on any car for 6500 a year if you wish, yet not necessary at all.

25. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2126&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=90009&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=146930128_isFeatured

Quick search on Car Gurus nets this 2014 Black/Black and white trim/stitch, Yellow Calipers/LED wheel, no Pano, 9800 miles asking $189. Looks very nice to me

I have a 2014 with 13k miles and it feels like new still, and I paid 255 22 months ago with under 800 miles. Do not regret it one bit. 365 new.