2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 18 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Very much agree on that one...

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    1.) yup on the "bonehead move"

2.) nope, Stroll did not lift before the checkered flag. Bottas had better telemetry and timed

it perfect for 2nd.

3.) I agree but Danny Sullivan(head racing steward) deemed it a "racing incident."

3. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I disagree with this one. So much is going on in the first few corners you really need to just let it go.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hey... the Honda lasted the entire race so there is that.

5. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    First time for everything 😂😂😂

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Plenty of laps circulating behind the safety car at reduced power, let's see it run an entire race distance at speed.

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Agree.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, Botas was less than1sec behind Stroll, so allowed to use DRS.
    That gave him a 15mph advantage.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Easy for you to say even if I am not against the idea. The FIA can deal 3 point penalty and not care because Vettel is not their employee helping to win titles for them but it would be unwise for Ferrari to further upset Seb because A) Seb is already upset the FIA hasn't penalized Lewis B) the FIA is already the bad guy and Ferrari doesn't want to antongonize the guy who is trying to win races for them and C) every competitor has his way of dealing with adrenaline. If you don't like his way then don't renew his contract because that's the way he wins races. It's the same with spouses, once you pick them you have to accept who they are.

I'm sure Ferrari will speak to Seb in private but if they are wise they should not rub salt in Seb's wounds. It's not like he did it unprovoked.

Agree. I really like Ricci but the shoey is totally gross. Yeccch!

Duh, Bottas passed him under DRS!

...never say die!

Bottas was just a bit clumsy, race incident.

Merc pit crew messed up on Lewis's headrest ...karma!

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What? Better ''telemetry''? What are you on about :confused:
    that, but I found Bottas closing speed MASSIVE. I think Stroll either had a poor exit out of the last corner or he lifted a bit too early, because even with DRS passes would normally happen far later.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Charlie Whitting decided the race, IMO, for insisting on neutralising the race with the safety car, when VSC was all that was needed.

Hamilton was so far ahead that Whitting had to negate his advantage to maintain the show.

Far too much carbon fiber debris on the track. Maybe the FIA should examine that.

Mercedes lost the race for not fixing Hamilton, s headrest correctly.

Vettel deprived Ferrari of a certain win by playing silly.

He could have been black flagged.

The only brake testing was in your head Seb: you anticipated Lewis to accelerate, but he didn't.

Happy for Ricciardo, and Stroll did shut up the critics.

I like Baku, but it's a track that will provide eventful races.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No, not likely - the finish at Baku is at the end of the longest straight!!!

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The shoey is funny

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Disagree, the video clearly shows elton braking, and the onboard graphics also show him fully on the brakes.

An F1 driver won't do what seb did if he wasn't utterly convinced it was brake testing, either.

It's simple...Elton braked and from that moment (as soon as Vettel brakes), Hamilton would have floored it so the distance between them on the straight was greater.

Most overtakes happened later on nearing the breaking zone (except for the ones after SC's, yellow flags and whatnot), and Mercedes/Williams sharing the same engine...Either way, a podium is a podium.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJTfFKkWRA[/ame]

Kimi not happy at lack of steering wheel :D

16. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
  17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Why F1 still sucks

Like the NFL going to flag football

Bunch of pu*sy's F1 staff let them race no harm was done

They should have gave half the field a 10 second penalty

18. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Any post-race photos of the rear of Hamilton's car?

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, you must have been watching a different video then.

The footage I saw was from Vettel,s cockpit showing the German accelerating as he took the left hand corner as Hamilton kept a steady pace.
    It may look like Hamilton braked because the distance between the cars quickly disappeared , but there was no braking involved, as the telemetry submitted to the stewards showed.

In any case, it's always up to the leader to impose its pace, and the followers to keep position.
    That's the way it works in any restart after a safety car.

I cannot detect any foul play on Hamilton's part, but too much impatience from Vettel who accelerated when he thought Hamilton would go.

In any case, the way he decided to deal with the incident, by overtaking Hamilton and bumping his car surely made him the guilty party here.

Vettel is usually pleasant outside the cockpit, but he has his red mist episodes too; this was one of them.

20. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #445 ypsilon, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Best pic I could find of Ham's rear end (It could just as well be the front end but there's **** coming out at both ends so who cares):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. "Vettel is usually pleasant outside the cockpit, but he has his red mist episodes too; this was one of them."
    And couldn't man up and just admit he hit Lewis intentionally.

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    One cannot tell from just an in-car camera which car may be accelerating and which car is braking. The is not sufficient perspective. The telemetry clearly shows 44 braking just before the impact.

VET deserves his penalty, but hambone should had got a 10 second stop and points, too.

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The video clips are in this thread already, the scumbag braked exiting the corner, and reports from HIS OWN PIT state he dropped from 80 to 40 on exit of the corner, even my granny doesn't drive like that in her disability scooter. Elton is a cheat, and the stewards of the course are complicit in allowing him to get away with it. They have no interest in holding him to account, hence they haven't taken any action yet, and his sky sports boyfriends won't dare call him out on it. Childish little dork

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The telemetry must have been examined by the stewards who concluded that Hamilton wasn't at fault.

There was no "brake testing" as such, although Hamilton may have reduced speed to take the corner.

Anyway, behind the safety car, the leader dictates the pace, that's what the rules say, and the other drivers have to follow in order; that's the rules!

But overtaking the leading car is a definite NO NO, and deliberately barging into another car is dangerous driving.

I cannot see why people keep arguing about that! I really don't. Probably because Hamilton was involved, so it's fair game to blame him for everything, I guess.

Vettel is very lucky not to have been black flagged, IMO. A 10sec. pit stop was very lenient.

25. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    I'm surprised Vettel got away with a 10-second penalty. A black flag wouldn't have been out of order.