What car did you want in high school but couldn't afford? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What car did you want in high school but couldn't afford?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by toggie, May 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    69 Charger 500. The NASCAR homologation car before the Charger Daytona came out.

2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I went through jr high and high school 80-86. During that time, living in Tennessee, Nascar booming with Earnhardt/vs everyone rivalry it was all about American cars to the people I went to school with and myself. Loved the new F-body when it came out. Loved the G-body platform too. A Cutlass 442 with t-tops and aftermarket wheels and stereo was hot. Who can forget the gold 79 TA's? Not the Bandit but the gold ones. Another hot one. Not here to debate what was better but just going back and remembering what was in the parking lots. As for myself, first car was a '74 Impala that we stuffed 11 guys in and a case of toilet paper in the trunk. Now mine was a 350ci but if you had the 400ci it had some balls.

Of course we loved the cars on Cannonball Run and Magnum but they did not register as well. When the C4 came out it was pretty much exotic in my old home town.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #53 TheMayor, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No question:

E type jag convertible. British racing green. Covered headlights. Wire wheels.

Funny my first love was British sports cars. Then I bought an MGB and that cured me! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

My dad's favorite car and seems to be the #1 of his generation. I keep telling him he should get one before he dies.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #55 Wade, May 27, 2017
    During high school in the mid 70s, I wanted a black '66 GTO really bad. My two best friends had Goats, one was a 64 and the other a 65, both were black Coupes (no post). Till this day, I still prefer the '66 out of all other GTOs.

I did find a gray-primer 66 Coupe for sale during that time, and was going to look at it. With cash in hand, I called the owner just before stopping by. Turned out he slid off the road the night before and broadsided a tree. Fortunately he was okay but the car was totaled. :(

And "mine" probably would have looked exactly like this since jacking up the car was the only way to put N50s on it (on a high-shooler's income).

Thomas Magnum and Texas Forever like this.
  6. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Excellent choice sir! My dad had a 1/18 model of one that he kept in a China cabinet when I was a kid. I never knew what it was and didnt appreciate until recently!

Fast and the furious came out when I was in highschool so a Toyota supra or subaru rs 2.5 were my dream cars. I was also a fan of Bullitt back then somehow and really wanted a 67-68 mustang fastback. Hence my handle on here.

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Was already DEEEEP into car-nut territory before high school, so by then it was a little more distilled down to:
    911 Turbo
    512BB
    Countach

Of those:
    Sentimental, first car driven (still in fear of that gf's Dad ever founding out...), just never quite happened, and then a DP version scared/excited the hell out of me, so that a normal one would pale.
    Now have owned a BBi for over a decade.
    The Countach is indeed a show car that ran (too much race car for the street, not enough for the track, as I used to say), once I'd driven a few.
    The few (Kremer?) 917 conversions are still just wonderfully outlandish, if totally impractical (even compared to the Countach).

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  9. 550Maranello575

550Maranello575 Formula 3

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    When I was growing up I always wanted a C5 Corvette. I remember seeing it on the road back in 1997 (I was 7 or 8) and have wanted one ever since. But if all goes well tomorrow, I'll be the proud new owner of a 2000 millenium yellow 6 speed convertible! My dream of owning a Corvette is becoming a reality 20 years later.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cool. Someday I'll have to buy a Vette too.

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good luck today! Post some pics!

I've owned 4 or 5 of those. Super solid, fun and reliable except for the very expensive ABS modules on pre-2000 cars.

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    My high school days were 84 to 87 the car that I wanted oh so baaad was a then new or relatively new fox body mustang gt.

13. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #63 Hoodude, Jun 24, 2017
  14. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #64 Hoodude, Jun 24, 2017
    And this was a close second..maybe not as old mannish as an SL,in fact the E was pretty cool.
    It took a long time to close the deals...but gratified to pull them off.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nice, does it run? :)

16. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #66 Hoodude, Jun 24, 2017
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    WS6 Trans Am in black. It was over $30k out the door iirc at the time.

A guy in my high school had a Daytona 500 pace car version (white convertible)...it was pretty nice, but imo didn't age as well as the regular black coupe WS6.

18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Unrealistic fantasy cars? Ferrari 308 or Lotus Esprit

Realistic car I couldn't ever reasonably afford at that age? Alfa Romeo Graduate Quadro Foglio (insurance was insane)

19. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    #69 JOEA2, Jun 27, 2017
  20. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I just bought a 2017 Acura NSX and I love the car. I traded in my Ferrari 458. The NSX is a much better drivers car. Not the name that Ferrari rnjoys but better never the less.

Best

Lee

21. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a BMW 2002 Tii what a magnificent car. Not a stylized car but a awesome drivers car.

Great

Memories

Lee

Afonsolaw likes this.
  22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    #72 MalcQV, Jun 29, 2017
  23. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    When the Iroc Z and the Trans Am came out with their '85/'86 updates to the then new platform blew me away. What great looking (and sounding) cars for that time. Then reading about Callaway and what he was doing with the Corvette for '87 was mind blowing. All of them were sadly out of reach for this teenager then.

24. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Growing up in the '80s, my favorite was the Lambo Countach. I saw one in person on main street in downtown Annapolis (MD); in front of the old Fran O'Brien's restaurant.

That car just blew me away with how low & cool it looked. Always happy to see one at car shows, but would never own one. As they say, never own any car you coveted; as it will never live up to your long-standing expectations.

25. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I too loved the Lambos from the Cannonball movie but knew then that it was not to be. I took this post as what was somewhat realistic to maybe achieve but just out of reach. But yes, the Lambo would be at the top here too.