Intermittent Fasting / LeanGains | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Intermittent Fasting / LeanGains

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by QWKDTSN, Sep 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    I went from 198 lbs to 172 lbs in 6 months. BF from 30 % to 16%

Please see below my typical schedule.
    Lunch at 11.30
    Pre workout shake 6pm
    workout till 7.30 pm
    Post workout protein shake , Vitamins and omegas
    Dinner at 8 pm start fasted phase

I Skip breakfast and drink a lot water all times. workout at least 4 times a week. 2 days a week i don't follow fasting.
    Very strict diet during the 5 weekdays. Nothing white when it comes to carbs. All low glycemic index foods. I think i ate chipotle bowls and potbelly turkey on wheat for lunch all through out.
    The key thing is you must figure out your BMR and then eat at deficit if you want to lose weight and surplus for gain. If you dont approach this scientifically and don't keep track of calories you are shooting in the dark. I highly recommend Bodybuilding.com forum and read the sticky and formula for calculating BMR.

The above worked for me . Its a great program , good luck!

2. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Awesome man, you are on the path...congrats!
    -Billy

3. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Rice and corn are the least offensive grains. Wheat, Oats, Rye, Barley, Spelt, Buckwheat, the worst. Read 'Wheat Belly' by William Davis MD, when you get a chance.
    The point is, all carbohydrates get converted to glucose, which equals Insulin, too much too often you've got problems. Your best choice without adverse effects are vegetables and a little fruit.
    -Billy

4. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

great book. all should read it.

5. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Thanks for the tip on that book. I am going to read that book.

6. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Follow that up with The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson

7. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Started leangains last week. Working out at 7am MWF. Eat from 12-8 everyday and haven't felt hungry hardly at all.

8. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

+1

9. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

any updates?

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I don't know what lean gains is, but intermittent fasting has gotten me from 218 to 197 in about 45 days. I try to only eat between about 11 am to 7pm. I don't particularly pay attention to what I eat.

11. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Nice work man!

GT

12. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Any Muslims reading this thread? How do you adapt to Ramadan?

For those that don't know, it involves 28 days of fasting during daylight hours. Not even water! Pregnant women and the sick are given an exemption. Fasting one day/night for a medical procedures is tough enough for me, I just can't imagine a solid month of this. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Are you adhering to a ramadan type fasting? Or just fasting?

14. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Ramadan fasting. Converting due to marriage. She, Egyptian, is worth it, to me. Islam doesn't allow mixed-marriages.

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Gotcha. Good luck when the fasting comes.
    And congrats on the marriage.

16. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Surprised I missed this thread originally. I have been doing IF for approximately 5 years now. It is remarkable and I wish I could get more people to do it. Everyone that I have convince to actually commit to giving it a 100% trial, ends up doing it forever.

Most try for a couple of days then flake. They never actually commit to giving it a fair shot.

I cannot say enough great things about it.

17. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Leangains.com is website blog by Martin Berkhan. He was huge proponent for IF and his information is what convinced me to start doing it several years ago. It has just started to become "trendy" in the past year or so.

18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've been working my way down from 300 pounds, and I'm currently at 245. So, I've lost 55 pounds over the past three years. During that time, I've been strength training with an old Bowflex Power Pro with an aftermarket rack of 630 rods. I can squat all of that and shrug all of that now, and I can bench 430 rods. Added the Selec-Tech dumbbells, and now my workouts are 4 to 5 hours long (One to four sets every ten minutes, depending on the exercise). I had built up so much muscle mass I was afraid to try IF for fear of losing strength. Well, I have a BCAA drink after my workout - 20 calories - and have lost no mass or strength. I was stuck at 260 seemingly forever, and IF got me to 255, so I just decided to do it every day; no meal but dinner. I do not consider fasting to be dieting, really, because I eat whatever TF I want for dinner. Steak, broccoli, and baked potato is my favorite. :)

Tried Atkins many moons ago and got very lean, but I was miserable. All my favorite foods include carbs. I can easily motivate myself to fast if I am going to feast for dinner.

The mechanism that gets your body to burn fat is simple: Get your glucose level low enough that your body metabolizes fat for energy. There are three ways to do that; low-carb diet - not for me - aerobics for at least 45 minutes - I was a skinny runner for over thirty years, but can't run anymore due to nerve damage in my left leg (Can't toe press, which contributed to my weight gain) - or fasting.

Fasting is what works for me. The latest 15 pounds I've lost in the past four weeks, so I'm on a roll.

I believe I'll have fajitas for dinner tonight (I've done 12 sets while writing this post).

19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'd love to hear from the original post'ers from this thread. Almost a "where are they now". Hopefully it was a way of life for them and not just a "now" diet.

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  21. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Not an original poster. But it has been my lifestyle for years now. I don't consider it a diet. Just the way I eat. I haven't done BF stuff, but I am lean. 6 pack abdominals, bench over 300, squat and dead over 350 (I need to get a coach on these 2 as I should be stronger with them). I have gotten extremely lean in the past off of it (wanted to be Wolverine for Halloween and went all in). Highly recommend it. Don't love posting flexing pictures on the internet, but you get the idea.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice work Will.

What form of fasting do you follow?

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    AWESOME! Ripped!

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I went to doing the fast six days a week with a cheat day on Sunday. So, I eat one meal a day six days a week and two on Sunday (Never was a breakfast eater). I've gone from 300 to 240 over the past five years.

Problem is maintaining muscle mass while losing fat. It's a closely played thing. I find that during and after my workouts, which are four to six hours long now, depending on the day of the week and exercises I'm doing, if I drink a creatine drink and a BCAA drink, I don't lose any mass or strength. As an experiment, I stopped drinking them for a few days, and things started falling apart. After just five days, I could no longer get to the top of my squat pyramid. Went back to them, and everything came back within a week, so creatine and BCAA actually do work. I take an l-glutamine in the AM and PM too now.

After a few weeks of this, I don't even think about food during the day anymore. I'll never get ripped because any diet that doesn't include tacos and Guinness I can't do. :)

No Wolverine, but not bad for sixty. I can squat 630 Bowflex rods and bench 430. 630 is all the resistance my hotrod rig has.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I've gone from a 42" waist to a 38". Goal is a 36", which I should hit in a few months around 220 pounds.

LightGuy likes this.
  25. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I just stumbled on this thread. After listening to a Vlog by ZDOGG MD (very smart guy), I basically just stopped eating breakfast. That's all I did. I didn't change what I eat, the beer I drink, no change in exercise. I dropped 15 pounds and it has stayed off (I weigh exactly what I did when I graduated from college, a long time ago). In a nutshell, I treat fasting as a workout, and I have gotten to where I am really good at it. I can basically go all day without getting hungry, even doing long endurance workouts. I wrote my own blog about it, which is my take on why it works (I am a physician, so I do have some edumacation). http://www.salmonupstream.com/2017/10/beating-american-obesity/