BICYCLES | Page 24 | FerrariChat

BICYCLES

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Igor Ound, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

P.s. tailwind for first 50 miles, right shoulder wind for next 100 miles, then headwind for last 50 miles. BestBikeSplit was frighteningly accurate in how it modeled this ride.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #577 4th_gear, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    2 abreast tends to encourage a slower pace because the front guys have to pace each other and rotating is a more complicated affair, also taking up a lot of road in the process. If it's just one front rider like in an echelon, he can be smoother and can pull harder. It's a proper racing formation.

Depending on the elevation profile on your course, you may even get away with a 21 sprocket 11-speed cassette. It's relatively flat where I am and we used to ride and race on 13-21 in our old 10-speed racing bikes, 52-40 front.

Male model? Yeah, maybe for pink water bottles, florescent yellow shoes, socks.

3. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Well done my friend.

4. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    You left out the glasses! :D

Seriously, nice job. My wife and I were lamenting how there's no way we could attempt many of our old rides at this point.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No way, they're cool. Besides I have a pair just like that. :D

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Anybody warching the Giro? It's shaping up as a really close battle

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#582 Ricambi America, May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yup! And got the Giro 100 mug nearby. (and who slipped Dumoulin the cod liver oil??)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Still, he took him just 1 min to get back on the bike! If there ever were a Toilet Time Trial he would win that as well. :)

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good grief! I was actually looking forward to it and then totally forgot as I got dragged away on a major project. Thank goodness for your prompting and... Netflix.

Disappointed with Nibali and Quintana not waiting for Dumoulin. :(

10. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    Wife and I were in Italy last year when the Giro went through, that was a trip. It started the day in Foligno, one town over from us in Spello, so we sat on a bench and watched them go through. Because we were close to the start of that run they were still in one big pack. Blink and they're gone.

Also picked up a couple of shirt, hat, and mascot (some sort of little grey wolf thing) packages. Unfortunately ended up with a shirt way too small and they're not found anywhere. :(

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #586 4th_gear, May 29, 2017
    I picked up a replica Giro pink jersey online 3 years ago as a souvenir thinking I would probably never wear it but it turns out to be very nice to wear; not that flashy and a good colour, nicer than yellow IMO.

Online stores carry all sorts of related items you would never find in a regular store, at really good prices, much easier to shop so long as the sizing charts work for you.

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#587 Ricambi America, Jun 4, 2017
    100 miles today in the NC mountains. 22mph average for the first 67 miles, then I lost my front tube on a very fast descent. Safely got off the road, but to my dismay there was no team car or neutral support. Oh, the indignity of it all. By far, this was the most dangerous riding I've done. Bottles were being ejected from cages - not mine! (nearly taking down multiple riders); very choppy tarmac; and a whole bunch of gravel/sand washed onto the road from storms the prior night. I suppose I should simply be glad to arrive home with all my skin intact.

I'm the little guy in the neon Sidi Shot shoes, which I like (despite what Michael thinks!!) beside my partner-in-crime. He carries me on the flats; I drag him uphill. Judging from our two sizes, you might have guessed that. I didn't realize how much he dwarfs me until I saw this picture from the morning.

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    How did you lose the front tube, simple pinch puncture or did you hit a big pothole? Very scary I imagine. Too bad it's not practical to preview such a route... almost akin to dragging F1 cars onto sections of a road rally course.

I think you have to be more careful when an event draws in more and more attendees as they become more complicated and harder for officials to manage... growing pains. Hmmm, I see "pink waterbottle" also survived. ;)

14. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

The pink waterbottle is not mine! I actually gave him some crap about those, but it fell upon deaf ears. I use Elite bottles (maybe "corsa" line?) They're biodegradable so when I'm really in a foul mood I can just chuck them into a nearby ditch.

My puncture was a simple pinch. I probably rolled over the upturned side of a stone. It's just one of those things that happens, I suppose. I run about 85psi on normal ol' clinchers (GP4000SII) and butyl tubes. Crap just happens. I knew it was a goner very quickly and was able to controllably clear out of the line. At that point, my day was mostly over.

I stupidly thought the turns would have been swept early in the morning. With heavy overnight rains, it sure seems like it would have been a smart move by the organizers. They have my release signature on a piece of long legal paper -- that's all they care about!

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That is quite low. I run 110-120 psi...

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

On what size tire/rim ?

17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That is on a Dura Ace C24 (7900), but also Hawk 50 mm carbon clincher. Tires are Schwalbe Durano S, 700C x 23 mm.

18. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

23mm... that's the kicker. I'm on 25's.

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #594 4th_gear, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Tire pressure recommended for a given rider depends a lot on his weight as well as on other factors like tire width, road conditions. IMO, 85 psi (front) should work fine with "Mr. Glo-shoes" (145 lbs) provided his tires work at that pressure. All tires are not equally designed for all sizes of riders.

FWIW, one tire I use for training is the 23C Schwalbe Ultremo ZX which recommends 85-145 psi (6-10 bar). At 195 gms they are very light (by comparison 25C GP4000SIIs are 225 gm). I run 85psi FR/105-110psi RR.

The points in this recent article on tire pressures might be worth considering.

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Gotcha'

21. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #596 Attitude928, Jun 21, 2017
  22. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Your link doesn't include an address, just the title.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
  24. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Fascinating article, thanks for posting it! Like everyone else I've always accepted as gospel that 110psi was the only pressure for my tires. I'm going to knock that down (in increments) to maybe even as low as 85 front and see if I can get rid of those annoying juddering impacts that make me question my safety.

25. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Whoa, this was a damn fine article!!! Thank you for posting! I can absolutely feel the differences between 85psi and something like 95psi, though my butt-o-meter isn't as finely calibrated as some other folks.