2005 Ford GT - 104 Miles - White with Blue Stripes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2005 Ford GT - 104 Miles - White with Blue Stripes

Discussion in 'Cars' started by SupercarGuru, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Why so many for sale then.

2. Rapin

Rapin Rookie

Jun 15, 2014
    Scale. 4000 produced with maybe 5 percent of them always in the fluid market worldwide as enthusiasts/investors have different reasons for exiting and usually to upgrade or make a dime. The pros of the 05-06 versus the new car in my opinion? A two plus year run versus four plus. Manual transmission versus automatic. Lower maintenance cost for those who care. Manufactured in the United States versus Canada. More resemblance to the orginal GT40. Lastly, I wish I owned one.

3. 200mph

200mph Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    NC USA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WADR, I think he mis-dialed. By contract, '17='18 Ford GT buyers must hold their cars for two years minimum... I feel that insures a robust market for these over at least the next 18-24 months. When the new GT starts trickling into the secondary market, these prices may ease some. Given pricing of the new ones (I've been offered 250 over, and don't have a build date yet) these prices may hold for some time.

You might try graphing 430 vs 458 or 458 vs 488 pricing trends, but the main difference is, there is sure to be a "498" or similar following the 488, where there's no guarantee of a follow-on Ford GT after this one.

4. 200mph

200mph Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    NC USA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IMHO,
    the 2005-06 GT:
    5000 cars over 2 model years . . . Looks pay tribute to the 66-67 LeMans winners... powertrain doesn't . . . Built on a US assembly line

New GT:
    Only 1000 cars over 4 years (build rate: 5 cars per week) . . . Shares many panels with the 16 LeMans winner with similar powertrain because . . . Built on the SAME line by same craftsmen (in Canada) as the LeMans winner !

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

No one knows where the market will go on 05-06 cars, if they did they would be very, very rich.

As for Ford producing another car past the NFGT, I would be astonished iF they did not, too much free marketing involved plus they know they have a market for a 400K+ supercar. I don't see them walking from it.

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I paid 107500 for a billet control arm car with 3200 miles The next year I paid 127 for a no stripe 2800 mile 1 owner... a month later I paid 156k for a 3200 mile tungsten car. I thought I was crazy spending the 156k... and it has never ever returned.. LOL...

And yes... I sold all these cars before they went crazy expensive. I couldn't afford to keep the cars it was all my money and I was just doing it for the flip for the most part

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I paid $179K for my FGT new at the dealer. 9205 miles later and I sold the car for $260k.

I loved the car and it was a delight to own. This brings back good memories.

Best

Lee

8. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    Is it still on the MSO, untitled?

9. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    it is gorgeous ......good luck with sale

10. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Don't you guys that own these cars with mileage know they aren't supposed to be driven!?!? LOL!

11. GTBill

GTBill Rookie

Oct 26, 2012
    Valley Forge PA. US
    Bought mine new in '05 . Expected it to drop in value like my Porsches and Corvettes......
    Many of them have come and gone but the GT is still with me. Its an incredible car that never fails to put a smile on my face.
    Almost a shame about the value increase ..... I have become paranoid about Minivans !!

12. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    What number is this car?

13. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    Still have my. '05. 8.6 miles on the odometer. I've never driven it.

14. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Why?

15. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Just a crazy questions.. but are these super low mileage cars even drivable without major maintenance? I know I wouldn't want to drive a car with 12 year old tires. I mean its a great 'time capsule' for a museum or for people who want to restore they can look at a perfect example but who would feel safe driving this home?

16. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    Bought as an investment. Never licensed, never nsured.

17. GTBill

GTBill Rookie

Oct 26, 2012
    Valley Forge PA. US
    As you say , "a great investment", But driving this car is incredible .
    You are missing out !

18. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    People enjoy their property in different ways. In addition to it being a good investment, I'm sure he has also enjoyed the ownership experience.

19. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    As Napolis might say - At least her next boyfriend will find her desirable. :p

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't think there was the enjoyment you assume as the post came with an red angry face. Modern cars as investments are generally never driven. There was an LaF at my dealer for sale with 3 owners and still delivery miles. Cars have wheels and an engine for a reason. Napolis' quote applies here. The car above is beautiful and wish good luck to the seller.

21. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    could never understand buying a car like that to never drive it

22. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Called an investment. Yes to a car nut it is mind boggling. But look at it from the perspective of someone who has no emotional reaction to cars, but sees how the prices of sports cars have sky rocketed and money can be made. As we all know the appreciation in sports cars is 2nd to none.

Perfectly ok to have a car as an investment. As the English would say "Not my cup of tea" but I do understand it.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't see how it's a good investment. The Ford GT on July 1st, 2005 had an MSRP of $149,995 prior to sales tax, registration, and insurance. I guess if you purchase with a dealers license, you can get around the tax and registration cost? And on the owner post above, some I guess do go without insurance...seems risky but a way to save costs. And I'm going to assume there is no extra storage costs...they probably have a large enough garage with extra space. So that leaves maintenance? I doubt they are replacing the tires if they want to keep it original so maybe a cheap oil change. If they wanted to pay tax, registration, and insurance, it would probably be closer to $200k over 12 years. Subtract out any commission at sale if you used a broker.

The S&P 500 ETF SPY was around 120 this time in 2005...today it's 240 so it doubled and with no carrying costs like garage space, insurance, upkeep,etc. And if you wanted to do individual stocks and pick things like Google and Apple, you would've made well above that. Yeah...I don't think cars are a good investment unless you can score a new Ferrari supercar at MSRP and immediately flip it.

The F40 and other "bluechip" cars haven't really been a great investment either since its inception when you figure in those costs as well.

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    gosh if only everytime the stock market doubled my brokerage account doubled... somehow it never works that way.

And google and apple purchases and sales at the best times at 20/20 hindsight and everyone is a billionaire.

25. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interesting point!
    What most dont understand is..
    Most people that use cars as investment vehicles also have equally impressive other cars to drive.
    Can we inquire to this owner what other cars are were in the arsenal???